PDA

View Full Version : First Annual Girls Only BP Trip

Cuffs
07-25-2006, 19:44
:bananaYou asked for it, so here it is!!

WHERE: THE FOOTHILLS TRAIL

WHEN: THE WEEK OF THANKSGIVING, November 19-25, 2006

DISTANCE: 76 MILES

I will be coordinating a meeting time and place and shuttling as the date draws near.

Your input and assistance is appreciated!
Please post your intentions to be a part of this great adventure!!

1Pint
07-25-2006, 21:20

Help! Which foothills trail? The only one I know is in the Sierras, but I'm guessing the one you're talking about would be in the East somewhere? I don't need the GPS coordinates, just a rough idea. Thanks!!

corentin
07-25-2006, 21:57
I'm going to guess the one in northwest SC.

1Pint
07-25-2006, 22:17
I'm going to guess the one in northwest SC.

Cool. That's driveable. Gotta check with work, but I'm interested. Women's only trips are really important even if I'm unable to explain why to my male roommate who thinks (just for example) that obviously laying on the brakes as you drive by a woman for the purposes of gawking is flattery for the woman.

corentin
07-25-2006, 22:26
Same here about checking with work but I'm interested too.

Mouse Poo
07-26-2006, 09:19
Sound fun but missing Thanksgiving? Not so sure I could do that.

frieden
07-26-2006, 09:23
I don't think I could miss Thanksgiving, either. My son-in-law would be in Iraq then, and that would leave my daughter alone and 8 mos. pregnant. I'll try to catch the next one. Thanks for starting this!

Cuffs
07-26-2006, 11:54
OH!? Theres more that one Foothills Trail?!?! Whodda thunk it!? I am saying the NC/SC one. Sorry for the confusion... I picked Thanksgiving, since A: most people are already off during this time and B: Someone previously posted No kids, No Significant other... so I thought that since Im in that boat too, go for it. If you cant make this one, there's going to be more!! Look for the Pinhoti thread, I need your help in picking dates for that one!!

Cuffs
07-26-2006, 11:57
This might help... http://www.foothillstrail.org/

blackbishop351
07-26-2006, 13:38
Wow...I'm being excluded from a group hike solely on the basis of my gender.....I feel so....violated! :D

hammock engineer
07-26-2006, 13:40
Wow...I'm being excluded from a group hike solely on the basis of my gender.....I feel so....violated! :D

Kind of like when you go to the bar and it is "ladies night".

blackbishop351
07-26-2006, 13:45
Yeah I know, right? We should organize! Protest! Demonstrate! Vive la Révolution! :D

VictoriaM
07-26-2006, 15:12
I'd really like to go, but I live in NJ and don't drive long distances. If anyone is coming from this area (I'm at the corner of NJ, NY, and PA and can drive an hour or so to you) please PM me so we can work out details.

jimtanker
07-30-2006, 15:45
BB - We could do a guys only hike at around the same time on a trail near there. How would that work?

blackbishop351
07-30-2006, 16:40
Jim - Sounds good. You're the professional recruiter, so do your stuff! More the merrier! :D

Cuffs
07-30-2006, 16:59
Jim - Sounds good. You're the professional recruiter, so do your stuff! More the merrier! :D

Ok guys! While we do enjoy your company, its time to go get your own thread...

1Pint
07-30-2006, 18:37
:

Thanks for coordinating this. It looks great. When do you need to know for sure?

And is everyone bringing her own food and gear?

Cuffs
07-31-2006, 09:30
Thanks for coordinating this. It looks great. When do you need to know for sure?

And is everyone bringing her own food and gear?

I dont need to know "for sure." I would like to know who definately is going as the date nears, so that when we leave out, someone else (who got stuck in traffic, lost...) is waited for and not left behind.

And with my work schedule, this week, Im still going. That will probably change 3 times before the actual date. BUT, I am making sure that I am off and will be there!! Even if it winds up theres only 3 or 4 gals, thats better than nothing and sitting at home!!

I am just putting dates and places together. Unless you coordinate with others, I think everyone is responsible for their own gear food.

Also, if anyone from Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia is interested in sharing a ride/gas $$, let me know via PM.

Pennsylvania Rose
07-31-2006, 15:06
I'm definiately interested in a girls only trip, but Thanksgiving isn't a good time. I'd love to be in on the planning for another trip that's not too far from home.

Smile
07-31-2006, 16:56
There are usually several 'girls only' trips every year in the works on some of the other women's only groups online ;-)

Went on two last year and had a blast!

scothiker
07-31-2006, 17:30
What women's only groups? I would be interested - non-hiking spouse - but like others, can't do on Thanksgiving.

Would love to do Pinhoti. Never been there, heard great things about it.

Thanks, ALHIKER GAL. Great idea!

peanuts
07-31-2006, 18:43
One of the woman group is know as the Woman Hikers at Yahoo. I am one of the member and I do know they are several other memebers here also. All that is needed is proof you are a female and a sponsor.

Smile
07-31-2006, 22:57
Yes, good group!

HapKiDo
08-04-2006, 18:03
I'm interested in the Thanksgiving Hike. Don't have to go to my kids that week (can board the animals locally). May be able to convince my Thru Hiking partner to come with us.

I'm a definite!

saimyoji
08-05-2006, 13:37
All that is needed is proof you are a female and a sponsor.

I'm sorry to intrude here, but how do you prove you are female over the internet? Do you have to meet up, have an interview, pass a test?

I'm not being sarcastic here, just naive.

1Pint
08-06-2006, 02:38
I'm sorry to intrude here, but how do you prove you are female over the internet? Do you have to meet up, have an interview, pass a test?

I'm not being sarcastic here, just naive.

On WB, it's an honor-system thing. Should be good enough in a hiker community, eh? Don't know about other forums.

HapKiDo
08-06-2006, 10:29
On WB, it's an honor-system thing. Should be good enough in a hiker community, eh? Don't know about other forums.

Unfortunately, the honor system doesn't always work (there have already been a few men show up here when the information for this forum clearly states Females Only). For the Women's Yahoo group, one ususally has a sponsor who can ask the Moderators to approve your request to join.

How to prove you're a female -- your profile here or on yahoo, a photo posted here or on another internet site or perhaps a phone call to someone who's already a member. Sometimes, meeting a woman hiker at Trail Days or The Gathering, initiates an invite to the Women's group.

With a private group, like the Women's Yahoo group, anyone can discuss any topic without fear of embarrassing themselves because men are eavesdropping.

One other item -- most things are not 'off topic' at the Women's group. We prefer no political posts and no in-your-face religious posts. Women do ask others to pray for situations and do post concerns over the environment. Proselytizing to a political or religious point of view is forbidden. But even, then, some push the envelope so as to be obnoxious and sophomoronic.

The Yahoo women's group believes that anything which affects a woman affects her ability to hike. I don't think men have a problem with compartmentalizing issues and going hiking. Men seem to have more of a "I'll fix that issue when I get back" state of mind. Women seem to need to have the issues in their lives settled before they leave for a hike. Neither is necessarily a "wrong" way to prepare for a hike. It just means that men and women are different and have different emotional needs. In the Yahoo women's group, a woman will find others who understand without the need to elaborate.

Therefore, if any men read this post, I politely ask them to go back to the list of forums and read what it says about the Female Hiking Forums. Here's the quote: This is for female hikers only to discuse female issues. Guys, please honor this here.

Mouse
08-06-2006, 10:44
The hike sounds like fun, but I'm not sure I can get time free for it.

dixicritter
08-06-2006, 17:13
Unfortunately, the honor system doesn't always work (there have already been a few men show up here when the information for this forum clearly states Females Only). For the Women's Yahoo group, one ususally has a sponsor who can ask the Moderators to approve your request to join.

Therefore, if any men read this post, I politely ask them to go back to the list of forums and read what it says about the Female Hiking Forums. Here's the quote: This is for female hikers only to discuse female issues. Guys, please honor this here.

On WB the honor system is what we have. Also men are not forbidden to be in this forum, they are just forbidden to be "Neanderthals" here. :D It was decided to keep the forums all open so that the males could get information for girlfriends, wives, or daughters that wouldn't come ask themselves.

Now if this were a private site for women only that would be a whole 'nother issue entirely... ;)

Smile
08-06-2006, 22:49
Dixiecritter is right, and guys have every right to read what is here. I would be surprised if the guys here ever 'avoided' this forum or for some of them - keep their posts to themselves.

Most have great advice though! I highly recommend going to a get together and meeting some of the terrific people on here - then you know who you are dealing with if advice is given or questions asked. The ones you can probably do without are quick to get defensive or post "how about us guys" stuff on this female forum.

Just food for thought, keep in mind that discussing your hike plans here is publicly posting information of where a group of women hikers are going to be any given time in the woods somewhere. Just a suggestion, PM each other, get on the phone, make some new hiking friends, and stay safe out there.

Tenacious Tanasi
08-07-2006, 10:57
I'm interested in joining up for a hike. Though, I doubt that Thanksgiving will be doable for me. However, I'll keep an eye on the information here just in case it was to work out differently for me.

HapKiDo
08-07-2006, 20:47
On WB the honor system is what we have. Also men are not forbidden to be in this forum, they are just forbidden to be "Neanderthals" here. :D It was decided to keep the forums all open so that the males could get information for girlfriends, wives, or daughters that wouldn't come ask themselves.

Open forums are good but I've seen them over run by males in the past. WB's honor system seems to be working. The only down-side is discussing really personal things that you just don't want others to know about. That's what your PMs are for, but it doesn't allow for diversity of answers or remarks about a personal situation. Or maybe those who post here are so well-rounded that they have no personal issues.

That's probably it. All the WBers are "cool" with everything. <grin>

There's room on the Internet for open, closed, and "don't be a Neanderthol" forums.

(As long as we can keep the guvmint from trying to charge us for it.)

1 Month 22 Days til retirement.
7 Months 10 Days til Thru Hike.
HapKiDo
:D

RockStar
08-07-2006, 23:26
I am interested in the Thanksgiving Hike. I am unfamiliar with the foothills and a SLOW POKE, yes I am 26 but, like to stop and smell the roses...or in reality catch my fatty breath! haha Also i LIVE in Alabama and am VERY interested in the Pinhoti hike!!! I have YET to hike any of the Pinhoti but, have thought about it! lol

so a few questions

A. What Kind of a pace do I need to keep up with? Or can someone bring their great grandmother for me a hiking partner?:eek:

B. Who is bringing the ham and will you cook it with pineapple and cherries? mmmm if not....I guess Ill bring stove top and cranberry sauce in a squeeze container. lol :p

C. I am gonna have to Greyhound to a strategic location but, is it gonna be too strategic for Greyhound? :rolleyes:

Thanks! God it will be nice to have an excuse NOT to attend the Family Gathering! Plus, i'd be doing something I LOVE! :rolleyes:

Cuffs
08-08-2006, 10:07
Ladies!

I have created a private (member-only) forum on yahoo so that we can discuss our planning!

If you will please PM me your email address, I'll send you the info. I will be screening as best I can so that this remains a legit group and that we can make our plans without fear or hesitation of interference.

Mother Nature
08-08-2006, 10:17
http://www.trailquest.net/BRfoothills.html

This is a link to a trail journal written by an experienced woman backpacker who completed the Foothills Trail. It might be helpful in answering some of your questions concerning the trail conditions and terrain.

I have hiked portions of the trail and can tell you that it is all beautiful. Portions are easily hiked with rolling terrain and other portions are kick your butt difficult.

If several folks are considering a thruhike of the trail, you might consider stashing a vehicle around the midpoint for resupply purposes. There's roughly a 30-35 mile section that has no road access.

Have a great trip to all that go! I have family obligations and a turkey to cook that week.

Mother Nature

Cuffs
09-13-2006, 17:00
****BUMP****

Just wanted to get this up there as a reminder of this hike and for those still trying to make time off from work/family etc...

As of right now, only 2 or 3 are going. Any other gals interested?

BYC
09-19-2006, 19:47
Dang, I want to go. Unfortunately I've already made plans to do a shorter hike with a friend that weekend. But if plans fall through as time gets closer I'm going too. How late of a notice can I give?

Hammock Hanger
09-19-2006, 21:17
:bananaYou asked for it, so here it is!!

WHEN: THE WEEK OF THANKSGIVING, November 19-25, 2006

DISTANCE: 76 MILES

I will be coordinating a meeting time and place and shuttling as the date draws near.

Damn, I just came across this post. My friend and I have made plans to hike this trail the week before the Gathering. If I had know I would have tried to change her mind into doing it when you all are. Oh, well.

I'll give ya any feed back I think you might need after I get back. You all enjoy yourselves. Sounds like fun. Sue/HH

chickadee
11-13-2006, 16:23
this is an awesome idea. I'm working on my book about the AT right now and should be one with a first draft at the beginning of december, but keep me posted anyway! if I can't come, i'd love to see what you guys will be doing next!

chickadee

C-Dog
11-21-2006, 16:52
Hey guys! I just joined and I have been planning my own trip of the FHT for spring break of next year. I would love to make it a girls week, so if anyone is interested let me know. I did a section of it last weekend and it is the most serene trail. Everyone should take the time to see it, its like the AT, but more deserted and with more waterfalls. Anyone interested, then let me know. C-Dog