PDA

View Full Version : survey says...

Cuffs
07-25-2006, 19:56
For the Second GO trip, I am planning for the Pinhoti Trail (AL to the GA line and then some).

In order to accomodate the 2007 thru's, a February date would be best, but its still quite chilly in AL, and the winds thru Cheaha are quite ferocious.

A second option would be in May.

The reason for the disparity in the dates? HUNTING SEASON!! Deer season doesnt end until Jan 31, and turkey season starts in March, ends in late April.

Who's up for this one and which dates do you think are better?

The AL portion of the Pinhoti is just over 110 miles...

Mouse Poo
07-27-2006, 07:43
The kids are done with school then and can do their own thing at summer camp or grandmas.

HapKiDo
08-07-2006, 20:51
I'm starting my Thru in mid-March. What dates in February are you thinking about?

It would be good to hike in February just to get used to the weather.

If y'all decide on a May date, I may hike here in North Georgia for a week or so. Maybe as a SoBo so I won't be walking the same direction in March.

Retirement is week-long weekends.
Retirement is perpetual vacations.
HapKiDo

RockStar
08-08-2006, 08:41
Im planning to start a Thru around March 10 or later. So a Jan Pinhoti will get my juices flowing and my arse in GEAR! Why not make it a New years Kick off? Or just after? I've seen pics of you gals on springer for new years! Dont tell me you have something better to do!?! I will be kissing my feet at midnight so they treat me well for the Thru! ;)

Cuffs
08-08-2006, 09:48
Again, the problem with hiking the Alabama Pinhoti in January is it is deer hunting season... Much of the Pinhoti is in Talladega Natl Forest = prime hunting area. March starts turkey season. Having been on some sections in January, I believe it would be best to do this hike in February.