PDA

View Full Version : Tent floor

Rouen
07-26-2006, 10:20
I have an old sierra designs tent(not sure of the model), it's atleast 16 years old, it's still water proof all the zippers work it's only fault is it's floor, is there any way to fix a floor thats peeling/flaking?, it's still water tight I set it up during our last rain storm and it was completely dry inside, it's annoying every time I go in it I come out with little bluish white flakes of the floor on me.:o
for it's age it's very light only about 4 lbs packed.
so anyone have any advice?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-26-2006, 10:41
I replaced a tent floor for my grandson using sil-nylon instead of urethane-coated fabric, which made the tent lighter. It was fairly easy to do. <o></o>

TIDE-HSV
07-26-2006, 10:45
I tried reapplying the coating. It didn't work very well. The coating was heavy and not very flexible. They may have better products now...

BigToe
07-26-2006, 10:52
I have the McNett catalog right in front of me - they advertise a product called "Tent Sure Tent Floor Sealant" that states it is for recoating worn area on your tent floor. I saw it at Campmor last week. Haven't used it so can't speak to how well it works.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-26-2006, 11:12
The product mentioned by BIGToe looks promising (http://www.mcnett.com/page.cfm?pageID=555)

bigcranky
07-26-2006, 13:06
If you can take out the old floor, you can use it as a pattern to make a new one. Sil nylon is a good choice, because it's still waterproof and much lighter than the old floor. This isn't a trivial sewing project by any means, but I think anyone with some DIY sewing experience could do it.

bulldog49
07-26-2006, 15:55
Silnylon is pretty delicate to be used for a tent floor.

Two Speed
07-26-2006, 16:46
The floor of my SMD Lunar is made out of silnylon. So far no problems.

Lilred
07-26-2006, 22:57
the floor of my tarptent is silnylon. Not a problem

mweinstone
07-28-2006, 21:12
ditch the floor. use a lighter ground cloth.buy a new tent. set your old tent up in front of a fire house and burn it after giving a lesson on tent saftey. when i saw a tent burrned in this way i changed. it takes seconds. nobody relizes how fast a tent burns. untill youve seen it you cant be as safe as after seeing it.great scout lesson.

T-BACK
07-28-2006, 22:21
You can also get a thin plastic liner to place inside the tent. Back in my tenting days I used this method all the time. I never worried about protecting the floor from the outside and I never got wet inside. The liner was easy to setup if it started raining by just shifting everything to one side, laying out the plastic on one side and then repeat for the other...a cheap, easy alternative to replacing a floor.

T-BACK