PDA

View Full Version : FL Gathering

frieden
07-26-2006, 10:53
Would any of the FL hikers be interested in getting together in the coming month? We could do a hike, compare gear and prep work for 2007. Anyone in FL who has already done a thru? If you have the time to come, we could sure use your advice. Where is a good central place? Ocala National Forest area?

mambo_tango
07-26-2006, 11:08
It is so hard to get any time off without weeks and weeks notice....works sucks.

StarLyte
07-26-2006, 11:16
Would any of the FL hikers be interested in getting together in the coming month? We could do a hike, compare gear and prep work for 2007. Anyone in FL who has already done a thru? If you have the time to come, we could sure use your advice. Where is a good central place? Ocala National Forest area?

HEY>>>>>it's friggin August already - can you plan this so us northerners can get down there? I would love to come but need more notice-obviously :o

frieden
07-26-2006, 11:40
Goodness sakes, StarLyte, you're in Ohio! Of course you'd need more planning time! I meant people who were already living in the state, who might be able to swing a couple of days, with only a few week's notice - Maybe the end of Aug? To have a Gathering with people from all over the country, we would need months notice at least!

Cuffs
07-26-2006, 11:50
Great idea Frieden! BUT! I lived in FL 18 years, and DAMN its hot in August!! I sure would be up for it, but make it late fall when its cooled down.

I sure would love to get back to Tampa tho, so make the plans!!

StarLyte
07-26-2006, 11:55
Do you know about the Florida Ruck? If not, PM me and I'll post information here. Never been to one, but plan on it.

frieden
07-26-2006, 12:51
Yes, it is very hot in Aug, but I leave the first week of Sept. for CA. I was just wondering if anyone wanted to get together, before then.

cannonball
07-26-2006, 12:58
I would be in. Let me suggest a sec hike of the Fl. trail in late fall or January. Perhaps around the suwannee river area so some of our Northern brethern could join us?

Also interested in details about the Fl. ruck

Amigi'sLastStand
07-26-2006, 15:00
Not in August. I'll go just about any other time, but August is like hell on earth. Hiking in 100F with saturation humidity during the rainy season is not my idea of fun, sorry.

Ewker
07-26-2006, 15:11
make it in Feb. Prime hiking season then

Frosty
07-26-2006, 15:24
Would any of the FL hikers be interested in getting together in the coming month? We could do a hike, compare gear and prep work for 2007. Anyone in FL who has already done a thru? If you have the time to come, we could sure use your advice. Where is a good central place? Ocala National Forest area?Have not completed a thru, but started 2 :D

And sectined most of Shennandoah and north.

I'll be in Orlando from about Aug 27 through Sept 7. I wouldn't mind a hike through Ocala Forest at all, especially the Wilderness near Juniper SPrings.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-26-2006, 19:09
Have not completed a thru, but started 2 :D

And sectined most of Shennandoah and north.

I'll be in Orlando from about Aug 27 through Sept 7. I wouldn't mind a hike through Ocala Forest at all, especially the Wilderness near Juniper SPrings.
Now heres a person after my own heart. Only problem with a hike in OCN is that the trail can be under water ( like by 2 feet ). And God is it hot. But, I rethought my previous post. I'm up for it if I can. Gotta see when ya'll decide you want to go.

blackbishop351
07-26-2006, 19:44
I'm in NC, not FL, but I visit down there quite often. I've always wanted to do some hiking there, too. Unfortunately, the semester starts Aug. 14th, and there's no way I'll be able to do much more than a weekend before October.

If it happens later, let me know!

Frosty
07-26-2006, 21:34
Now heres a person after my own heart. Only problem with a hike in OCN is that the trail can be under water ( like by 2 feet ). And God is it hot. But, I rethought my previous post. I'm up for it if I can. Gotta see when ya'll decide you want to go.It would give me a break from Space Mtn :D

Two feet of water on the trail. Man, that would be a lot of water. the land was pretty flat as I recall. I did it in December and it was still hot, but it must have been a dry year because the problem I had with water was not enough of it.

WhoAh
07-26-2006, 22:10
Hmmmm.... thinking about it. But it is really hot through August and into September, and the buzzard-sized mosquitoes are thicker'n attorneys at an accident scene, so I don't know. As was indicated earlier, the trails may be pretty wet but I guess that would keep us from needing to stash water ahead of time. I've done a little hiking in Ocala and over into the Withalacoche area, so I am a little familiar with the terrain.

I guess I am sorta maybe kinda up for it....

frieden
07-27-2006, 00:43
But it is really hot through August and into September, and the buzzard-sized mosquitoes are thicker'n attorneys at an accident scene

Ok, ok! I guess WhoAh said it best. Summer in FL can be rough. Here are 3 ideas:

1. We meet up at Fort Wilderness at Disney. It is still "camping", room service is available, and you get to meet Mickey Mouse. We can compare gear and planning schedules one minute, and rent a paddle boat the next. They are having a special for FL residents around that time, but I don't know if it applies to Fort Wilderness. If anyone works in the outdoor field, or is writing a book, it is a tax write-off.

2. We do a trip to a place like Wekiwa Springs (N. of Orlando), which has a swimming hole (the spring, with caves and stuff - it's really pretty), canoes, and backcountry camping. They even have campsites that you canoe to. That way, if anyone gets hot, they can just go swimming. However, I do have alligator bait attached to my waist at all times, so we might not make it through.

3. We do something like OCN, just lay around half-naked, and sweat.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-27-2006, 12:34
I vote alexander springs or juniper springs. We can camp and hike. The springs are 72F year round and great to swim in. I know most of the trails in the area and its $17.50 per site/day with four ppl or two tents to a site.

Ewker
07-27-2006, 12:35
just make sure you bring bottled water. That stuff they call water down there sucks. Nothing can hide the bad taste

frieden
07-27-2006, 13:00
I vote alexander springs or juniper springs. We can camp and hike. The springs are 72F year round and great to swim in. I know most of the trails in the area and its $17.50 per site/day with four ppl or two tents to a site.

Sounds good to me!

The bad taste comes from the sulfur. All ground water needs to be treated here.

WhoAh
07-27-2006, 21:04
Ok, ok! I guess WhoAh said it best. Summer in FL can be rough. Here are 3 ideas:

1. We meet up at Fort Wilderness at Disney. It is still "camping", room service is available, and you get to meet Mickey Mouse. We can compare gear and planning schedules one minute, and rent a paddle boat the next. They are having a special for FL residents around that time, but I don't know if it applies to Fort Wilderness. If anyone works in the outdoor field, or is writing a book, it is a tax write-off.

2. We do a trip to a place like Wekiwa Springs (N. of Orlando), which has a swimming hole (the spring, with caves and stuff - it's really pretty), canoes, and backcountry camping. They even have campsites that you canoe to. That way, if anyone gets hot, they can just go swimming. However, I do have alligator bait attached to my waist at all times, so we might not make it through.

3. We do something like OCN, just lay around half-naked, and sweat.

Well.... while option 3 DOES hold interest, in the spirit of keeping my butt out of trouble I guess I vote for the Alexander or Juniper Springs suggestion. We looking at late August or early September?

frieden
07-27-2006, 21:16
We looking at late August or early September?

As of right now, my truck will be leaving Sept. 5th or 7th (depending on my daughter's flight). How is late August for everyone?

Amigi'sLastStand
07-27-2006, 23:23
Good for me, just firm up a date. Believe me, they aint busy this time of year, so no problem getting sites. We do need to make a reservation so we can get some sties together. C loop in either park is better than the rest.

WhoAh
07-27-2006, 23:39
So - let's book it for the weekend of August 26/27? And Alexander Springs?

WhoAh
07-27-2006, 23:43
Alexander Springs -

From their web site www.dep.state.fl.us/springs/locator/alexander.htm

Alexander Spring issues vertically from a conical depression and has a large spring pool and that measures 300 ft (91 m) north to south and 258 ft (79 m) east to west. Depth is 25 ft (7.7 m). The water is clear and sky-blue. There is a large boil on the pool surface over the vent. Native aquatic grasses are plentiful. The bottom is mostly sandy with limestone outcropped near the vent with a vertical ledge running north to south near vent. There are multiple vents in a tight cluster. Thin algae patches are present on rocky substrate. High ground to the south rises gently to 12 ft (4 m) above water level. A rock wall forms the south shoreline. There is a mixed hardwood and palm forest around the spring. Alexander Spring Run flows east trending approximately 8 river miles (13 km) until reaching the St. Johns River.

Location/Contact Information
Ocala National Forest Visitor Center
10863 E. Highway 40
Silver Springs, FL 34488
352-669-3522

Lat. 29° 04° 52.7° N, Long. 81° 34° 33.2° W (Levy Grant 39, T. 16 S, R. 27 E). Alexander Spring is approximately 17 miles (27.5 km) northwest of Deland in the Ocala National Forest. Travel west on SR 40 from Ocala. Turn right on CR 445A just before the town of Astor. Follow 445A past the sharp turn to the east. Entrance to Alexander Springs Recreation Area will be on the right. Follow signs to parking area.

Hours of Operation
8am – 8pm

Fees
$3 per person; camping extra

Activities
Camping, swimming, scuba diving, hiking, fishing, bicycling, canoeing.

Facilities
Parking, bathrooms, picnic tables, concessions.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-28-2006, 01:04
Good for me. 40 from Ocala ro 19 N - S through the forest. It is pretty easy to find, as long as the signs are bad up from the hurricanes. 445a is a gigantic loop road, so if you find yourself back on 19, you missed it!. There is a small, yet well stocked bar/grocery store/convience store back in Shockley Heights about 3 miles from the park. Rough bar, so there had better be at least a couple of us.

If anyone wants to canoe, since hiking may be out ( heat, flooded trails ), Juniper used to let you in for a day pass for free with your Alex pass. Juniper is a hard and fun canoe course, whereas Alex is about as tame as they come. I can show ya where I fell up to me arse in quickmud!

I'm going, so hope more of you are willing to try and make it.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-28-2006, 01:05
Good for me. 40 from Ocala ro 19 N - S through the forest. It is pretty easy to find, as long as the signs are bad up from the hurricanes. 445a is a gigantic loop road, so if you find yourself back on 19, you missed it!. There is a small, yet well stocked bar/grocery store/convience store back in Shockley Heights about 3 miles from the park. Rough bar, so there had better be at least a couple of us.

If anyone wants to canoe, since hiking may be out ( heat, flooded trails ), Juniper used to let you in for a day pass for free with your Alex pass. Juniper is a hard and fun canoe course, whereas Alex is about as tame as they come. I can show ya where I fell up to me arse in quickmud!

Amigi'sLastStand
07-28-2006, 01:06
What the... sorry for the spam post, dont know what happened?

frieden
07-28-2006, 08:04

Sounds like it's a lot of fun! Ed has never been in a canoe, so you might want to explain what you mean by "hard and fun canoe course".

It isn't the same everywhere. The Wekiva River is crystal clear (you can see all the way to the bottom in many places), wildlife everywhere, stunning scenery, a current that is smooth and steady (you don't even realize there is one, until you go back, paddling against it), tons of fish, and the Springs with swimming area and concession stands. There is even a canoe-up bar and restaurant mid-way. There are many side trails that have sand bars, so you can park your canoe, and have lunch. On weekends, there are enough people out there to have canoe races.

The Hillsborough River, however, is brown, bland, and nasty. There is also a resident alligator, Big Mamma (that's what the park ranger called her), who is bigger than your canoe, and has no problem swimming frantically around it. The entire trip was not lovely at all.

I haven't been to Juniper and Alexander, since I was very little, and don't remember them very well. I think Alexander was pretty, but a real workout. I can't recall much about Juniper.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-28-2006, 12:43
I hate Wekiva. Since Orlando blew up like a freaking cockaroach infestation, that place is way too crowded. It is a beautiful spring though.

Both other springs are clear. Alexander used to have a resident, but I'm not sure she is still there. But if she is, she's been there for 6-7 years now, and the rangers havent moved her. The told me in '04 she moves before anyone gets close to her.

The canoeing in Juniper is much funner. It is hard in those unweildy rental canoes, but doable. We'll have a ton of fun there.

So Alex it is, on the weekend of August 25-27. I live an hour away so I'll get there Friday to get some spots if we dont have enough for a reservation. If anyone wants to come on Friday, come on and join me.

See ya'll there.

frieden
07-28-2006, 20:44
I hate Wekiva. Since Orlando blew up like a freaking cockaroach infestation, that place is way too crowded. It is a beautiful spring though.

The canoeing in Juniper is much funner. It is hard in those unweildy rental canoes, but doable. We'll have a ton of fun there.

So Alex it is, on the weekend of August 25-27. I live an hour away so I'll get there Friday to get some spots if we dont have enough for a reservation. If anyone wants to come on Friday, come on and join me.

See ya'll there.

Yeah, Wekiva can get extremely crowded on weekends.

Ok, just want to confirm: We are doing Alexander Aug 25-27 weekend? You said we'd have a ton of fun at Juniper, and then said "Alex it is", so I just wanted to make sure. If you could, let everyone know how to get there, and how to find you. I'll be bringing anywhere from 2-6 people (I'll have a better number by Mon), and Ed.

I'm so excited! It'll be fun! You know, if we don't drown, or get eaten by an alligator, or get drunk and walk off into a swamp, or get eaten alive by fire ants, or ...... :eek: Hehehehe. See ya'll soon!

mindi
07-28-2006, 23:04
I'm putting in a request for August 25th-27th off work..hopefully I can get it! I'll need directions on how to find you all. Let me know if we'll be swamp stomping or staying on dry land so I know which shoes to wear..lol..
I'm going to be bringing all of my new gear, so I'm going to need some assurance that you all aren't going to tease me relentlessly for making a total butt of myself while I learn the ropes.
:D Mindi

Amigi'sLastStand
07-29-2006, 00:12
Ok. To clarify, we will have a ton of fun at Juniper canoeing, but Alex has some other advantages, so better to stay there.

1) I will leave a note at the entrance as to where to go.
2) I need to have a firm number of ppl by Friday Aug 18, week before, so that I can try to reserve some spots.
3) Each site is only allowed two cars, four ppl, two tents ( kids dont count unless you think birth control is for pagans:D ).
4) To find out how to get there, just use mapquest and enter "Alexander Springs" and "FL" in the Destination Boxes.
5) Dogs must be leashed at all times, so bring a dog run. The Rangers are real easy going about a lot of stuff, but not that one.
6) I am planning on getting sites in C loop. For those of you who have been there, you know why.
7) Just so no one over does it, this is a full service Recreation area, meaning they have hot showers, great toilets, rentals of all kinds, etc. It's like a redneck hotel with out the rooms ( wait, that is a redneck hotel. )
8) Since we only have 3 days ( 2 for some ) I dont think we will be staying out when we hike, so pack a day pack instead. If you wish to bring your gear for others to opine over, bring it along.
9) That's all I can think of. My email address is in my User CP, so feel free to email me. I will be on the road starting next Monday for a week while I move back to FL. On the way down I will be hiking the approach to Springer

Glad ppl are enthused, I look forward to meeting all of you.

frieden
07-29-2006, 08:09
I'm putting in a request for August 25th-27th off work..hopefully I can get it! I'll need directions on how to find you all. Let me know if we'll be swamp stomping or staying on dry land so I know which shoes to wear..lol..
I'm going to be bringing all of my new gear, so I'm going to need some assurance that you all aren't going to tease me relentlessly for making a total butt of myself while I learn the ropes.
:D Mindi

Right there with ya!

frieden
07-30-2006, 08:33
Aug. 25-27th time off - approved! Whoohooo! :banana

Amigi'sLastStand
07-30-2006, 08:37
Coooooool. Now how bout the rest of ya?

WhoAh
07-30-2006, 10:03
working on it.... trying to get Mrs. WhoAh's Ok.....

Frosty
07-30-2006, 11:55
Coooooool. Now how bout the rest of ya?Alas, that weekend I will be driving TO Florida from NH. Just a week too early for me.

I will likely get to the Ocala area about noon on Sunday. I'll stop by if anyone plans to still there be then

Gray Blazer
08-01-2006, 22:04
So, what did we decide? There are free campimg places in OCN. I would say that right at the moment, FL is about as warm as N. GA.

Gray Blazer
08-01-2006, 22:08
Sorry, I didn't notice the 2nd page here. I will try to make it at least for the day. I don't like camping in FL without AC.

frieden
08-01-2006, 22:31
I don't like camping in FL without AC.

Hahahaha! :sun

Gray Blazer
08-01-2006, 22:53
That's probably one of the most serious posts of mine on WB. Let me clarify.The best time to camp in FL is Jan and Feb. Summertime in a tent in FL is not one of my favorite things to do.

frieden
08-02-2006, 14:33
That's probably one of the most serious posts of mine on WB. Let me clarify.The best time to camp in FL is Jan and Feb. Summertime in a tent in FL is not one of my favorite things to do.

Sorry I cut my post so short. My daughter called. She passed out in formation, and they didn't even send her to the doctor - just threw her back to work. :mad: Camp P. and I are going to tangle. My boot....someone's a**....you get the picture.

I was laughing, because only an insane person camps in FL in August. We are only mildly insane, because we are going on a canoe trip, and not a hiking one. I know that the timing is because of me, and I really, really appreciate it. Goodness, if it gets too hot, we can rent a room. We can go "oohhh....aaahhhh..." over gear anywhere. It would be a little harder to test the stoves that way, though. ;)

Skidsteer
08-02-2006, 18:01
Goodness, if it gets too hot, we can rent a room. We can go "oohhh....aaahhhh..." over gear anywhere. It would be a little harder to test the stoves that way, though. ;)

It's not all that difficult if you make certain not to test stoves directly under smoke alarms with heat detectors.

If you make this mistake there's still an upside. If you choose the right motel you'll learn some interesting Pakistani curse words.:D

StarLyte
08-02-2006, 18:48
So, what did we decide? There are free campimg places in OCN. I would say that right at the moment, FL is about as warm as N. GA.

Uh nope....Cleveland was 98 yesterday, 96 today, 90% humidity. I think that beats any southern state. My central a/c is on 74 but the house is 79. I have 2 large attic turbo fans too. I have a brick house - I call it the brick oven.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-03-2006, 15:40
I'm halfway ( little more ) to Florida and it's 102 in NC. Beth says its in the mid 90's in Lake mary, so it's probably 90-93 in Ocala. It is hot, but worse elsewhere. Listen, I originally said no, but then reconsidered. It aint gonna kill ya'll, plus we'll be canoeing, the spring feels like icewater ( 72F year round ) when it's hot out, so no issues. Come on all, our brethren thruhikers in the NE are getting no breaks at all right now, so I know we can do two days in it. No snivelling, to quote Rock!:D

frieden
08-03-2006, 20:07
Skidsteer, I guess if we got a room with a balcony..... :D

I think what Amigi's saying is:

No Pain
No Gain
No Maine!

WhoAh
08-03-2006, 22:48
Still tryin' to get that weekend free - if I can, I will definately be up there with ya'll.

WhoAh
08-23-2006, 21:39
So-o-o-o...is this shindig still on? Who all is planning on attending?

Looks like I'll be able to be there on Saturday but will need to head back home Saturday evening.

Gray Blazer
08-23-2006, 22:10
See ya Saturday.

frieden
08-24-2006, 10:07
We'll be there Fri. afternoon, and will be heading out Sun. morning.