PDA

View Full Version : The Hills Are Alive.

undergroundnathan
07-26-2006, 11:15
I dont mind spiders so much,but snakes,I dont like snakes,IM not scared of the bears or the pepole,but snakes bother Me.One lady was sitting on the bank of the river at N.O.C.Just relaxing when a big black snake slid onto her shoulders,She was brave,she sat still till the snake went over her and away,I would of jumped up and yelled.Two years ago I made it to the tennesee and virginia border,There was three other hikers with me.We were taking pictures of the sign,as soon as we were done I went first.About a thousand feet down the trail I went,all of the sudden right at my feet came a snake out of the weeds.I jumped back ,It was brown with markings,and a funny looking head,it looked like a rattle snake.I noticed it didnt have rattle on its tail.One of the hikers was behind me,I yelled back,theres a snake her that looks like a rattle snake but it dosent have a rattle.He came up,thats a copper head,he said.It laid in the trail,HE GOT A STICK AND STARTED PLAYING WITH IT AND they were taking pictures.I was scared,I said Im out of hear you can play with the snake.A few days after damascus I was walking along when I noticed something ahead of Me,It was about the size of a beaver,it was wobbaling while it walked,I wasent close enough to get the best look at it.I told a few hikers about it they said it sounded like I might of saw a porcipine,maybe I did.Me and two other hikers were trying to find some where to camp in virgina,but it was so rocky we coulded find anywhere to camp and it was getting late.Minutes befor dark we came to the road and thank god there was a feild.We didnt know if we could camp there or not but it was to late to go on,so we pitched our tents.It got dark so we got in our tents,I was laying there and all the sudden it ecohed,It was a owl and it was hooting Loud,It went most of the night.Next day I made it to the church shelter,the one north of damascus five six days I beleave,I might be wrong.The woman stayed in the church and the men stayed on the hill,there was a little hostel on the hill and a Gazebo for over flow.At first there was only four of us there,but by evening there was about thirty or more hikers,about ten in the Gazebo.after dark we were all sitting in the Gazebo,there was lights.We were all talking and funin around when all of the sudden beleve it or not a cow walked by the whole length of the Gazebo,Wow he must of been lost,we were all laughing about it,all at once it comes walking back the other way and past us,where is that cow going.Well thats the end of my story for now ,thank you for reading. sincerly underground.

wilconow
07-26-2006, 11:28
hey I saw a rattlesnake while doing the Wild Oak Trail a couple weeks back. If you want to see a photo click here:

http://www.terrapinstats.com/photos/details.php?image_id=183

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-26-2006, 11:59
Excellent photo! I don't particularly like snakes, but they are part of the wildlife. I don't like skunks, but they are part of the wildlife. I really don't like mice being up close and personal, but they are part of the wildlife.... so I make a decision: do I forego hiking to avoid the wildlife or do I accept the wildlife encounters to experience the joy of hiking? Given the reason for this site, I imagine everyone here has chosen the later.

Skidsteer
07-26-2006, 18:16
Good stories, Underground! Keep em' coming. :)

littlelaurel59
07-26-2006, 22:32
Excellent photo! I don't particularly like snakes, but they are part of the wildlife. I don't like skunks, but they are part of the wildlife. I really don't like mice being up close and personal, but they are part of the wildlife.... so I make a decision: do I forego hiking to avoid the wildlife or do I accept the wildlife encounters to experience the joy of hiking? Given the reason for this site, I imagine everyone here has chosen the later.

One of the main reasons I love to hike is the chance, the hope of seeing the critters. After all, I am visiting their home.

I will never forget seeing my first rattlesnake or bear. I will never forget waking up with a baby skunk crawling over my sleeping bag one night I chose to sleep under the stars (we both maintained our calm). Bats give me the willies for some unknown reason, but I tolerate tham. I love the birds, the reptiles, the amphibians, the mammals. The more, the merrier. I can do without the biting insects.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-27-2006, 16:14
There are no aggressive snakes in the Eastern US. That is not to say if you play with one with a stick ( duh ) it's not going to GET aggressive.

Rattlesnakes have rattles to let potential enemies know they are there. It's a defensive adaptation.

Cottonmouths are often confused with the VERY AGGRESSIVE, and non-venemous, brown water snake. They are nearly identical except for the white mouth. Most stories you hear about a run in with a striking, crazy cottommouth are almost always the brown. They are mean sumbitches.

You wont see many corals, lol, on the AT, so no worries there.
Red and black, friend of Jack( Scarlet ); red and yellow kills a fellow ( Coral ).

Respect all wildlife.

Heater
07-27-2006, 16:21
...with the sound of music?

Did you forget to turn off your MP3 player befor you buried it?

the goat
07-27-2006, 16:23
...unless you're in palmerton!:D