PDA

View Full Version : Have to push thru back, where to hike this fall

hammock engineer
07-26-2006, 14:20
Unfortunatly due to school I am going to have to push my thru back to next spring. Instead of going SOBO, I am going to go NOBO sometime in the spring (looking at March). I think this is best, it allows to to finish up everything at home and not worry about things while I am hiking.

The good part about all of this is that I will have ample time this fall and winter to get some hikes in. After all I have all of the gear, I might as well put it to good use.

Anyone have any good suggestions for long hikes? It will most likely be late September through October. I have been thinking about the BMT or the LT. Is mid to late September to late to start the LT?

Jack Tarlin
07-26-2006, 14:28
No, it's not too late, but it'll get cold at night, especially if you go South to North.

September is also the best time of the year to hike in Maine (few people, great weather, no bugs, beautiful foliage).

Also, down south is great then; I'd suggest anywhere between Hot Springs and Pearisburg VA; in particular, I'd consider the Roan Highlands area just north of Erwin TN and the stretch immediately north of Damascus.

Also, since you're in Ohio, you might want to consider attending the ALDHA hiker gathering in mid-October (see www.aldha.org for details). Lots of useful stuff there especially if it looks like you'l be starting your hike next March.

kyhipo
07-26-2006, 16:21
I would agree with jack on that one the long trail is sure enough pretty in the fall and the bugs are less.That is my time of year to hike anymore,If I where to hike the AT more than 4-6 months I would do it in the spring and fall dislike the summer months,but its all good if thats all the time you have.Iwould start at springer in mid march take the summer off then hit the big k in sept and hike south.ky

Moon Monster
07-26-2006, 18:01
I'll be doing the Tahoe Rim Trail in August. I can't speak of it yet, but from my research: it is an ideal long hike location. It's ~175 miles, a loop, has resupply points, is reachable by bus from the Reno airport, will give you a 50-mile taste of the PCT, requires only a little bit of planning for permits, and is normally prime in September.

But then, a taste of the High Siera this year may take some of the luster off your Georgia in March experience next year.

I've also heard good things about the NC Bartram Trail, which along with the BMT would be hikeable even in the dead of winter with appropriate sleeping bag and clothing.

hammock engineer
07-26-2006, 23:53
Thanks for all of the input. I will try to make the gathering if I am not out hiking somewhere. I really like the idea of the Long Trail. I'll look into North to South. It is fairly close, so I can talk family into shuttling me. I think it would be a good shake down for my thru. Plus I agree with kyhipo, the fall is the best time to hike.

hiker5
07-27-2006, 10:59
The Thru Hikers Guide to America (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071433643/103-6495259-7138235?v=glance&n=283155) lists 25 different trails. It offers some alternatives to the AT, PCT, and CDT.

I haven't hiked these trails (yet), but it appears to be a good starting place. My copy is out on loan to a friend at the moment. Come to think of it, it must be just sitting at his place, since he is doing a couple weeks on the AT in Maine at the moment.

Time To Fly 97
07-28-2006, 10:57
I love the section in Vermont that includes Stratton, Killington and Glastonbury mts. Fire towers on all of them, awesome water at Goddard shelter, Stratton ski gondola free for hikers - good breakfast in Stratton village, beautiful pines and smell. Inn at Long Trail is one of the best Irish bars (incredible Guinness and music) I have ever seen...great place to start or end. I was lucky enough to sleep in the Killington fire tower and caught a sunrise - wow!

This is one of my favorite sections on the AT and would be an awesome choice for a section hike or perhaps a favored section of the Long Trail if you thru it.

Happy hiking!

TTF

hammock engineer
07-28-2006, 11:05
I love the section in Vermont that includes Stratton, Killington and Glastonbury mts. Fire towers on all of them, awesome water at Goddard shelter, Stratton ski gondola free for hikers - good breakfast in Stratton village, beautiful pines and smell. Inn at Long Trail is one of the best Irish bars (incredible Guinness and music) I have ever seen...great place to start or end. I was lucky enough to sleep in the Killington fire tower and caught a sunrise - wow!

This is one of my favorite sections on the AT and would be an awesome choice for a section hike or perhaps a favored section of the Long Trail if you thru it.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Sounds great. I have been reading a few journals and wesbites on the Long Trail. I decided to do it southbound starting in mid to late September. That is one of my favorite times of year to be outdoors. I figured I would go sobo since I would hike the AT section north next year, and from what little I read using public transportation is easier at that end. Got to love the parents for dropping me off at the northern end.

generoll
07-28-2006, 11:24

Time To Fly 97
07-28-2006, 13:19
That is one of my favorite times of year to be outdoors. I figured I would go sobo since I would hike the AT section north next year, and from what little I read using public transportation is easier at that end. Got to love the parents for dropping me off at the northern end.

That sounds like a blast. I summitted Katahdin on Oct. 23rd and caught full foliage (and no bugs) through Maine. Hiking through Indian Summer on a breezy day with all the leaves coming down was something I'll never forget. You will catch all of that! :sun

Happy hiking!!

TTF

max patch
07-28-2006, 13:34
Given a large block of time in the fall I would go to Maine or Vermont.

However, inasmuch as you live in Cincy, don't forget about the Buckeye Trail. 1,400 miles that basically circles the state. I'm no expert about the trail -- I've done a few sections around the Hocking Hills (I think thats right) that were pretty interesting. Not near as spectacular as NE in the fall, but much closer to home.

hammock engineer
07-28-2006, 14:02
Given a large block of time in the fall I would go to Maine or Vermont.

However, inasmuch as you live in Cincy, don't forget about the Buckeye Trail. 1,400 miles that basically circles the state. I'm no expert about the trail -- I've done a few sections around the Hocking Hills (I think thats right) that were pretty interesting. Not near as spectacular as NE in the fall, but much closer to home.

I've done parts of the Buckeye trail. It runs through a lot of the state parks I've been to. I still haven't made it to Hocking Hills yet, I've heard it is nice. The problem with the Buckeye trail is in some parts it is not well marked or maintained. I think I read on Risk's site that his son has hiked a lot of it. He talked about how bad the markings are.

Like you said, I have a big block of time. I am going for the LT. In the process of ordering the maps and guide books today. That should take me 3+ weeks and really get me prepared for a thru.

Shutterbug
07-28-2006, 15:01
Unfortunatly due to school I am going to have to push my thru back to next spring. Instead of going SOBO, I am going to go NOBO sometime in the spring (looking at March). I think this is best, it allows to to finish up everything at home and not worry about things while I am hiking.

The good part about all of this is that I will have ample time this fall and winter to get some hikes in. After all I have all of the gear, I might as well put it to good use.

Anyone have any good suggestions for long hikes? It will most likely be late September through October. I have been thinking about the BMT or the LT. Is mid to late September to late to start the LT?

September and early October is the best time of year to hike the Wonderland Trail which circles Mt. Rainier in Washington. I hiked 34 miles of the trail last week. I am section hiking it this year and will complete it for the third time.

The beauty of the Wonderland Trail matches any trail in the U.S. The window of opportunity for the Wonderland is July thru October, but there is risk of heavy snow in October. A mid to late September start is ideal. Allow 9 or 10 days to hike the 92 miles. I met a hiker who was doing the entire trail in 3 days, but he didn't seem to be having much fun.

hammock engineer
07-28-2006, 15:11
I'll have to try out that trail sometime. I am looking into moving to either Washington State or Oregon after I get back next year.

Shutterbug, have you done your hike or Mt St Helans yet? When you do, post some of your pics. That is one hike that I definitly want to do.