PDA

View Full Version : looking for a lift from Atlanta to Springer...

Jenn
03-26-2003, 18:56
Hello All
My friend Jeff and I are looking for a ride to Springer from Atlanta (taking Amtrak down) sometime after 9am on Fri morning (March 28th). Our original plan kind of fell through. We'd be happy to pay for the gas. Or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Jenn

max patch
03-26-2003, 19:48
Jenn, if you arn't able to make any firm plans from Atlanta then I would get off Amtrak in Gainesville and then catch a cab to Amicalola. Other shuttlers also leave from Gainesville.

Repost if you need phone numbers, etc. That type of info is at my other computer and I can get it a bit later.

JackW
01-11-2004, 15:58
There is a new Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, Georgia <[email protected]> that has a good deal. For $55.00 they will pick you up from your train, plane or bus stop and bring you to their place for an overnight in their hostel feed you, and after breakfast, bring you to an outfitter for last minute items and bring you to the trail. This is a per person fee. Both host and hostess of this hostel have Thru-Hiked the AT in '00 and may be a valuable resource for last minute advice.

Of course there are other alternatives.

Peaks
01-11-2004, 16:58
In addition to Profile and Almanac's hostel, contact the ATC for their shuttle list.

Taking a cab from Gainsville to Amicalola isn't cheap.

max patch
01-11-2004, 19:26
Taking a cab from Gainsville to Amicalola isn't cheap.

True; but she posted on 3/26 about how to get to Springer from Atlanta on 3/28. And she had made no plans. Lot cheaper to get there from G'vill than from Atl.

BTW, the $55 deal is an incredible value. I certainly wouldn't do it for that price. ANYONE who is planning a thru should make a reservation from this new hiker hostel ASAP.

smokymtnsteve
01-11-2004, 20:51
no joke it's a great Price thhey should corner the market..doesn't it also include a night in the hostel and then a shuttle to amicalola or springer in the AM?? i'm fairly sure that is what the website said..incredible. pkus breakfast and free fuel..

max patch
01-11-2004, 21:23
no joke it's a great Price thhey should corner the market..doesn't it also include a night in the hostel and then a shuttle to amicalola or springer in the AM?? i'm fairly sure that is what the website said..incredible. pkus breakfast and free fuel..

Yeah, its almost like selling $5 bills for $2.

smokymtnsteve
01-11-2004, 21:40
heck I live in atlanta and the next time I go hiking I'm calling them.

01-11-2004, 23:07
heck I live in atlanta and the next time I go hiking I'm calling them.

Do call. We don't care where you live we just enjoy helping and being around hikers. We made it cheap because we know what it is like tring to start a hike with limited resourses. but the deal is for everyone. :datz

Matt Pincham
01-12-2004, 09:09
Wow PROFILE expect an e-mail from me soon. My girlfriend and I should be toucing down on March 23rd 2004. That's one hell of a deal.

10 weeks and 1 day :p I can hardly wait.

restless
01-27-2004, 22:06
If there are any hikers needing a shuttle from Gainesville to Springer, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. I work at Neels Gap and would be happy to help out any way I can. Preferably give me at least a weeks notice so I can arrange it with my schedule. Once again, email me, please no phone calls at the store.

jollies
01-27-2004, 23:12
Check out Wingfoot's site Trailplace.com (http://www.trailplace.com). On the shuttles page, there are tons of people who offer rides. I personally had a fantastic experience with Marty Rogers. I recommend him highly.

firefly
01-28-2004, 12:56
If you are riding Amtrack into town and you need a shuttle you probably want to consider getting off in Gainesville. Alot of the people who offer shuttle service live in North Georgia. There is a BIG difference between driving down thru Atlanta to the Airport (the traffic can be terrible and the return trip can take hours) versus driving over to Gainesville.