PDA

View Full Version : ALDA Gathering 2006

MedicineMan
07-27-2006, 04:17
Where does every one stay in Pipestem?

Roland
07-27-2006, 06:14
The registration fee ($10) for the event includes camping at the Appalachian South Folklife Center.

For more information, see the ALDHA brochure (http://www.aldha.org/newsletr/brochr06.pdf).

One Leg
07-27-2006, 07:09

I plan to stay in the back of my pickup truck...

Alligator
07-27-2006, 09:21
Pipestem is a state park that is a little ways away from the Folklife Center. I think most people who stayed there last year stayed in the campground, although there are cabins and hotel style rooms too.

StarLyte
07-27-2006, 09:50

Medicine Man......you know where everyone stays.

In their tents.

Until the coffee is made.

StarLyte
07-27-2006, 10:35
WWW.ALDHA.org

October 13-15, 2006

There is camping at the Folklife Center at Pipestem WV and NEW MEMBER REGISTRATION and ALDHA member check-in will be set up here:
http://www.folklifecenter.org/peaceful_place.htm

When you check in at ALDHA, you'll receive an information packet with all of this information. Try to be there early as possible on Friday. The events begin Friday evening AT the college.

There is also camping 5 minutes away at:
Pipestem WV State Park: http://www.pipestemresort.com/

There was another campground that some members stayed at during the previous Gathering in WV, but when I went to their website, it's obvious there have been changes made there and I don't know if this would be available.

Concord University is where ALDHA forums, workshops and events will be held:
http://www.concord.wvnet.edu/Pages/visitors/index.html

This is ALDHA's 25th anniversary. Weathercarrot has produced a DVD commemorating the first 25 years of ALDHA. This will be premiered at the Gathering Friday evening.

Some of you are in this DVD. If you want to find out, you'll have to attend.

The Gathering is also a chance to socialize and become more familiar with the hiking community.

As one person stated in ALDHA's DVD......."you hike with someone for 2 or 3 days and you've made a friendship for life"......I love that.

And remember, ALDHA is not only for long distance hikers......it for hikers, dreamers and their families---thank you Warren.

See you there.

Smile
07-27-2006, 11:07
Weathercarrot has produced a DVD commemorating the first 25 years of ALDHA. This will be premiered at the Gathering Friday evening.

Yeah! he always does such a great job - loved the slideshow he did on the PCT at SoRuck, he puts a lot of time and beauty into his work.

emerald
08-01-2006, 21:16
ALDHA is not only for long distance hikers......it for hikers, dreamers and their families---thank you Warren.

See you there.

Warren deserves more appreciation than he gets here for his service to ALDHA over the years.

I have always felt indebted to Warren for his assistance and encouragement in the course of my completed thru-hike. Meeting the 1980 UConn Expedition and spending parts of 3 days with them was a high point of my hike. Camping and hiking with them was a blast!

I'm sure I met many members of the A.T. community I wouldn't have otherwise but through Warren.

Jack Tarlin
08-02-2006, 12:39
Please tell us how Warren's service to ALDHA has been "underappreciated" here. I've never seen anyone here deny or question his founding of the organization, or his participation over the years as a leader of the organization. I have indeed seen criticism of some of his words, actions, and behavior, including some of his actions while a leader/spokesman for ALDHA.

Virtually every well-known long-distance hiker has been discussed here on Whiteblaze at one time or another, and Warren is no exception.

But "underappreciated"? I don't think so.

He has been praised here for some of his contributions to the Trail scene, and has been questioned or criticized when it comes to some other things.

Same as anyone else.

Almost There
08-02-2006, 22:40
Here we go again!!!:eek:

You tell'em Jack!!!:D

I would love to attend, but unfortunately...coaching and teaching commitments prevent it! Have a blast everyone!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-02-2006, 23:00
We had planned to attend, but given the male dinos recent accident with his table saw, I'm not sure we will. He will likely still be in physical therapy.

Can we still come if we miss the registration deadline?

fiddlehead
08-03-2006, 02:29
Can we still come if we miss the registration deadline?

Of course you can. I don't think they've ever turned anyone away.
(even Ward Leonard showed up once or twice)

Jack Tarlin
08-03-2006, 12:35
F.D. :

Lots of folks attend without pre-registering. (It might cost a few dollars more but that's the only difference). There will be places to register and sign-in at both the Folklore Center, where folks will be camping, and also at Concord College. People can sign in at any time, i.e. people can show up whenever they want and attend as many or as few of the weekend's events as they wish.

Those seeking complete information about the weekend can find it at www.aldha.org

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-03-2006, 12:51
Thanks for the info. We will be there if the male dino hand can make the trip. I owe Jack a beer :D.

StarLyte
08-03-2006, 13:16
Here we go again!!!:eek:

You tell'em Jack!!!:D

I would love to attend, but unfortunately...coaching and teaching commitments prevent it! Have a blast everyone!

Hey Almost There, maybe we'll see you at the Southern Ruck again? Here's a great photo Stumpknocker took of you there...click here (http://gallery.backcountry.net/Southern-Ruck-2006/SoRuck_06_047)

Jack Tarlin
08-03-2006, 15:44
Oh....StarLyte has informed me that once again, I've called the place the "Folklore" center. It is, in fact, the Appalachian South Folklife Center, not "Folklore" center.

This is a fine organization located on a beautiful site in West Virginia.

see http://www.folklifecenter.org for details

Ewker
08-03-2006, 15:46
Hey Almost There, maybe we'll see you at the Southern Ruck again?

any idea on when and where

peanuts
08-03-2006, 15:54
Ewker the SoRuck is held MLK weekend in Jan at the NOC....

Sly
08-03-2006, 16:43

Yes, that will be the weekend again this year. I'll be updating the website after the Gathering with a schedule of events and times which of course will be subject to change, lodging info, ect.

Jusr remember what goes on in Cabin C, stays in Cabin C! :eek::D;):confused:

2006 Website.....

www.soruck.com

Ewker
08-03-2006, 16:49

cool, I will try and make that this yr.

StarLyte
08-03-2006, 17:19

That's right - that's where I met Peanuts :D

JojoSmiley
08-03-2006, 19:14
Gathering registration is $10 regardless of when you register. We hope it will always be $10.

peanuts
08-03-2006, 21:59
So StraLyte, what does that suppose to mean:p

Almost There
08-03-2006, 22:17
Hey Almost There, maybe we'll see you at the Southern Ruck again? Here's a great photo Stumpknocker took of you there...click here (http://gallery.backcountry.net/Southern-Ruck-2006/SoRuck_06_047)

I plan on being there, it's one weekend I don't schedule any wrestling events and give the guys a weekend off, so I can at least attend one hiking event! Might even bring the Missus this year!