jazilla
07-27-2006, 11:35
I am in the market for a new pack.

What kind do you use.

How many liters does yours carry.

General of what you stick in it.

frieden
07-27-2006, 11:43
I use an Osprey Ariel 75. The 90 is better for a thru, but I'm going to try with the 75, so I'm not tempted to overpack. Weight: 4.13 lbs Price: $169
They just redesigned them, and don't offer the 90 anymore: http://www.ospreypacks.com/category/4/Ariel/

karo
07-27-2006, 11:47
I use the Granite Gear Vapor Trail. At about $140-150 but I think I gave $125 for mine. It holds about 3600 is a top-loading pack with 2 mesh side pockets that weighs 2 pounds! It will comfortably carry loads of 25-30 pounds but I would not go over that. I did order the top lid for it just to have something to cover the top and have an extra pocket for a map and compass. I also have a side pocket that attaches to the hipbelt for any small items that I need to keep handy.

Mouse
07-27-2006, 13:05
Mountainsmith Chimera. It did perfectly for my thruhike and is still going strong. I have the older version before they revamped it a couple of years ago.

The male version is the Auspex.

Ewker
07-27-2006, 13:05
Go Lite Trek and a Gregory Forrestor

Footslogger
07-27-2006, 13:20
I carry the Vapor Trail (and so does my wife). Bought it in 2003, carried in on my thru and it's still going strong. Had to replace the hip belt (different size) and I did add the small zip pockets that attach to the hip belt for my camera and snacks. We also both have the "Lid" accessory on our packs. Not a lot of room but just what you need for quick access items.

'Slogger

By the way ...if you do a bit of web surfing you can find them for less than the $145 list price from Granite Gear

Phreak
07-27-2006, 13:42
Granite Gear Vapor Trail, Gregory Z Pack, Gregory Forester, Gregory Whitney, Arc'Teryx Bora 50

kyhipo
07-27-2006, 14:41
I have a northface,2keltys which i like and a haglofs which i currantly hike with about 3500 cub inches.ky

jimmy b
07-27-2006, 15:14
I have a Osprey Aether 60. I think it weighs under 4 pds. and has a 3,600 cu. in. capacity. I thru hiked with this pack from the Nantahala Center in N.C., switching from an external frame pack. I recommend the pack, except for the single rods that support each side of the pack, one has poked thru the pocket that holds it in place on the bottom of the pack. I repaired it with a rubber patch kit for bicycles. i'm still using the pack four years later. It doesn't have a water pouch, so I just put my 1.8 liter platypus on top of everything under the hood.

headchange4u
07-27-2006, 15:22
Osprey Aether 70. Love it.

blackbishop351
07-27-2006, 15:58
In the last few months, I've switched from a Kelty Red Cloud 5000 (too heavy) to a piece-of-junk external (too big), to a Gregory Z-pack (not QUITE yet, but soon, thanks to tarbender :D)....and I'll probably either buy a Moonbow Gearskin within the next 6 months or make something like it myself. Wow. I really can't make up my mind, can I? lol

Seeker
07-27-2006, 16:06
GoLite Gust. Added two mesh-like side pockets (walmart $1 bin) and a few eyelets to lace an elastic band through to hold wet gear. still weighs about 22oz and holds everything i need. there's actually a lot of room left over in the expansion collar on weekend trips where i'm not carrying so much food.

that said, you should take all your stuff up to "The Backpacker" in Baton Rouge and see what it will fit into. (and if you konw of a decent gear store closer than that, PLEASE!!!! PM me and let me know.)

Chomp09
07-27-2006, 18:01
I had been using the Gregory Palisade, but it became overkill. Just way too easy to bring the kitchen sink with me on any trip. I have purchased a Gregory Z pack and absolutely LOVE IT! If I had any, my only complaint would be that it has no daisy chain...

aroth87
07-27-2006, 19:21
Mountainsmith Phantom. 3300 ci, 3 lbs 4oz. without the top lid. Great pack, super comfortable, and I picked it up for around $80 on campmor at the beginning of the year.

Adam

Mountain Man
07-27-2006, 19:42
I just bought a OSPREY Aether 60 a couple of weeks ago, and took it out on the Benton MacKaye trail over last weekend and although I was only out a couple of days I believe I may have found the perfect pack for me. I've owned several packs over the years but this was the most comftable pack I have used and just the right amount of room for my gear. I know I need to get some more miles on it, but my first thoughts are a great pack.

FLHiker
07-27-2006, 19:50
So, what made you buy a Gregory pack?:D

MedicineMan
07-28-2006, 01:39
I have used this pack on the last 3 section hikes,,,,totaling 150 AT miles.
I'm perfectly happy with my external frame but just wanted to try something different. The Essence is a panel loader that lets you lay it down, undo a panel and then undo a drawstring and have access to the entire pack so no having to dig from the top down looking for stuff.
It is a good pack up to 25 pounds, with 5 days of food and a full bladder I got to 30 pounds and felt discomfort...if you can keep your tot. load to under 22 pounds you will like this pack.
One complaint:
the hip belt pockets are not accessible while hiking,,,they will hold a good bit for hip belt pockets but unzipping and getting to the goods is not easy...

SGT Rock
07-29-2006, 05:46
Gearskin. Size - 40L to 90L. Generally I pack everything I carry in it :D

But actually about 25-30 pounds. I've carried up to 50 pounds in one.

PKH
07-29-2006, 09:17
Six Moon Designs Starlite 5 - a fine light weight pack with about 30 lb carrying capacity. I recommend the optional stays.

Cheers,

PKH

Kerosene
07-29-2006, 09:21
Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, 3500 cubes, 24-28 pounds with ability to lug 35-40 (theoretically).

cannonball
07-29-2006, 09:52
Kelty tioga 5300 external frame. Definately old school and heavy but getting a new pack seems like betraying an old friend.

hopefulhiker
07-29-2006, 10:46
I used the Luxury Lite external frame with front pack, weighs about 2 lb and comfortably carries about 25 to 30 lbs. All the weight is on the hips. The three compartments are waterproof and easily accessible. The carbon frame was a little fragile, but I used the pack for the whole thru hike...

Palmer
07-29-2006, 12:43
Kelty Shadow 4500. Lots of pockets for organization, fairly lightweight, and the second most comfortable pack I've ever carried. My Jansport D-3 external frame is still the most comfortable, but the Shadow beats my Gregory Z-pack and North Face Badlands.

dloome
07-29-2006, 18:42
GoLite Jam, but will be switching to something a little smaller for 3 season use in the 2,000 cube range, maybe Osprey Atmos 35 since I love my 50. I use an Osprey Atmos 50 (3,000 cubes) for heavier loads/longer trips/4 season, will probably use this on the PCT next year.

map man
07-29-2006, 21:09
LuxuryLite external frame. With the size cylinders I chose it carries about 4200 cubic inches (around 70 liters), not counting the front pack, and weighs 2 pounds, 1 ounce. It rides really nicely (though it takes some getting used to if you're used to an internal frame), and makes organization easy. I use one cylinder just for food and kitchen, one bag for the stuff likely to get wet (tent, rain gear, some water bottles), and one bag for the stuff that really needs to stay dry. Takes five seconds to unfasten a cylinder from the frame. Don't need a separate bear bag -- I just hang the cylinder with the food in it.

MedicineMan
07-29-2006, 23:05
mine has over 300 miles of AT use and will return to it after the test of the Essence is over....
with the LLP its hard to say exactly what feature is loved the most, if pressed i would say the compartmentalization because it is so nice to know what is in each cylinder and dedicate each cylinder to a certain task as alluded to in a post above.
Of course the compartmentalization, the waterproofness, the ease of cylinder change would all be worthless if the pack didnt carry comfortably and I think that LLP's hipbelt is the most satisfying I've ever used.
The only challenge with the LLP is that the front pocket will get in your visual way on the severe downs, my solution is to simply reach up and unclip one support and let the front pocket go off to the side.
I switched out the original X-ply cylinders for cordura, a 6-8ounce penalty depending on which cylinders i choose for any given trip but with the cordura the LLP becomes immune to most forms of trail damage e.g. hiker abuse :)

saimyoji
07-29-2006, 23:16
CampTrails Wilderness Internal. Over 10 years old now, still going strong. Carries well, has a great suspension system. Its heavy though, and would do well with some serious trimming: all those elastics and pockets in the 'kitchen' pocket.

bigcranky
07-30-2006, 19:47
Six Moons Designs Starlite. About 3600-3800 cubic inches. Lightweight gear, but it will carry my solo winter kit around here (SE USA). I second the recommendation on adding the optional stays.

TJ aka Teej
07-30-2006, 20:00
Mountainsmith Maverick. 3900 cu in & 4 lbs 4oz, but that's with the detachable lid/lumbar pack which I detached. I had a pretty big budget for a new pack, but after much hands-on at REI, EMS, Kittery Trading Post, and LLB I spent just $98 - and they came with a free pair of Rhyolite treking poles!

Almost There
07-30-2006, 22:46
Mystery Ranch Deep Trance, Gregory Palisade

After using the Deep Trance this summer I think I am going to retire it and go back to the Palisade. I know it's heavier, but for me it rides better and is more comfortable. As a bigger guy the Deep Trance straps kept loosening and I finally got sick of having to adjust them 3-5 times in less than a mile of uphill or downhill hiking.

I might decide to get an Osprey next spring...I have been toying with the idea for over a year now, my wife has one, and I haven't heard anything bad about them from people I know who use them.

cheetah
07-31-2006, 02:14
My daughter and I had been using Gregory Palisades for the last few years. We found they were by far, larger than anything else anyone was using for long distance hikes. We decided to go ultralite and bought a G-pack and a Z- pack, but found that the big Palisades were more comfortable to carry due to the firm frame support. The ultralites felt like dead weight, like someone riding piggy-back. Don't know what to do now! Gotta shake some of the weight....

Cheetah

cls
08-02-2006, 19:39
So, what made you buy a Gregory pack?:D

Needed a really big pack for winter so I bought a Gregory Denali Pro based on it's reputation as a bomb-proof expedition pack. Usually hike by myself so I have to carry everything by myself. Filled the pack up, strapped on a shovel, and on hard packed snow strapped my snowshoes to the outside. Once I got the pack up off the ground and onto my back it carried great, on trail and snowshoeing off trail . After several trips is shows no sign of wear. Needed smaller size for thru-hike so I got a Gregory Forester. Started in Feb. so I was carrying some cold weather gear and at one point 7 days of food. Pack was very comfortable and after almost 5 months and 2174 miles shows very little sign of wear. Once the weather warmed up I looked very hard at the Z-pack but couldn't bring myself to spend the money.(Especially since I hope to never hike in hot weather again) As a mostly solo winter hiker I want gear that won't let me down, even if it does weigh a little more. Gregory works for me.

FLHiker
08-02-2006, 19:59
Needed a really big pack for winter so I bought a Gregory Denali Pro based on it's reputation as a bomb-proof expedition pack. Usually hike by myself so I have to carry everything by myself. Filled the pack up, strapped on a shovel, and on hard packed snow strapped my snowshoes to the outside. Once I got the pack up off the ground and onto my back it carried great, on trail and snowshoeing off trail . After several trips is shows no sign of wear. Needed smaller size for thru-hike so I got a Gregory Forester. Started in Feb. so I was carrying some cold weather gear and at one point 7 days of food. Pack was very comfortable and after almost 5 months and 2174 miles shows very little sign of wear. Once the weather warmed up I looked very hard at the Z-pack but couldn't bring myself to spend the money.(Especially since I hope to never hike in hot weather again) As a mostly solo winter hiker I want gear that won't let me down, even if it does weigh a little more. Gregory works for me.

:banana Sorry, that was me being a Smart - @%% - It's one of my favorite quotes from A Walk in the Woods - the answer I was looking for was "because I didn't want to carry everything in my arms."

Just wanted to see who remembered that line.

Jeff

Hana_Hanger
08-02-2006, 22:56
I just got off the phone with Bruce of LuxuryLite and ordered the New! The LuxuryLite® ™ Trail Umbrella (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/New%21%20The%20LuxuryLite%C2%AE%20%20%E2%84%A2%20% 20%20%20Trail%20Umbrella) and LuxuryLite® Front Hydration Pack (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/LuxuryLite%C2%AE%20Front%20Hydration%20Pack)
of course the The LuxuryLite® Modular Frame Pack (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/The%20LuxuryLite%C2%AE%20Modular%20Frame%20Pack)
Starting out with the Condor Cylinder Set (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/Condor%20Cylinder%20Set)
set to start out with.
I am so excited and hope it works out well for me.
Bruce is very helpful and informative!

but for now I have been using mostly Mountainsmith Tour Lumbar Pack (day hikes) and the Jansport Alpine 49 (modified to 3 lbs)

hikerjohnd
08-02-2006, 23:47
In the summer - Six Moon Essence (although its first real trip will be next week) I like the lightweight pack for my 10# base weight - maybe 25# fully loaded. In the spring, fall, and winter I use a GG Nimbus Ozone - 1/2 the weight of my old external frame and big enough to hold my cold weather gear. I add some extra pockets to the outside in winter when my really cold gear takes up too much room.

buckhead
08-03-2006, 09:58
Jansport D3. It's a bit heavy, but it transfers a load well. I also have a Kelty Tahoe 4500 and a Go-Lite Gust. I simply can't stand a top load pack with no pockets. So, I really don't care for the Go-Lite. But, it's light.

Tabasco
08-03-2006, 10:05
Just got my ULA Catalyst last Friday!!!!! Big weight savings over my "monster" pack, an Arc Teryx Bora 95. Now strictly used when I play sherpa for my family / scout troop.

rmtjr
08-03-2006, 20:38
I use LuxuryLite's aluminum frame model with a front pack, and two large cylinders and one medium cylinder. A real sweet set up. The front pack looks odd, well the whole system looks odd, but it rides well on me and things are sure handy to organize, find and get to. Now if I can only talk myself into getting the carbon fiber frame! Bob

minnesotasmith
08-03-2006, 22:10
I use a Gregory Whitney, and am happy with it. I wouldn't go any smaller than a Gregory Palisade. Winter clothing/bedding, plus enough food/fuel take up some serious room, so even if your stuff is light, you'll want the option to put in significant volume during the cold part of your hiking.

joec
08-04-2006, 08:04
Osprey Aether 70.

Rockjock
08-04-2006, 13:11
Gregory Deva 60. Love it. Especially the womens version there really is a difference. I have about 170 miles on it, no problems.

eric_plano
08-04-2006, 13:48
ULA P2...was such a nice change from a Mountainsmith 5400 :)

Creek Dancer
08-04-2006, 15:59
Mountainsmith Chimera. Great pack for ladies. Lightweight. No bells and whistles.

swede
08-04-2006, 16:52
GG Latitude Vapor, 3800CC and a stretch double zip panel down the center. Great access and internal compression straps. Also comes with a "ditty" bag the clips into the top of the pack. The space between the internal frame and pack body is where I stuff my HH tarp, hat etc. There is a sleeve inside the pack for a platypus. Got it for $125 at backpackingdeals.com last year. Still refining its "innards", but I have it to 20# without water. Good luck.

HapKiDo
08-04-2006, 16:58
1- MountainSmith Muse. Bought at Campmor. Plan to take it on AT Thru next year. 2- LWGear 1 pound pack (the old mesh one), for day hiking, single overnights. 3- Dana Designs (the OLD DD) Jet Pack, my first internal pack, just can't part with it, use it when I do trail trash pick up (because the trash is there and so am I at the time).

berninbush
08-11-2006, 15:46
I'd really, really love to see someone do a thru-hike with this pack (http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/817c/).

:banana :banana :banana :banana

milesbarger
08-11-2006, 16:47
Heavy loads (15+ lbs total) and/or Rough/Off Trail: ULA Conduit (20oz)
SUL: Mountain Laurel Designs Original Prophet (4.25oz)

Tipi Walter
08-11-2006, 17:11
I am currently using a Dana Designs Terraplane LTW which starts out huge and grows smaller after a typical 12 day trip. Winter is my favorite backpacking season and so I must have a pack big enough to haul a down jacket, gloves, thermal wear and all else. 12 days of food will fill up a pack but with the Dana I always seem to have enough room to squeeze in extra fuel, a book or two, candles and other camp items.

It all started with the Boy Scout canvas Yucca pack and went through the North Face BackMagic external frame, an Alice pack with frame, a midsize Sundog internal, an big old Lowe internal, a Kelty Ultra Tioga and the Dana.