PDA

View Full Version : Transportation Options: Hanover to Rt 4 VT

Rough
07-27-2006, 20:41
My wife and I are planning a section hike of the AT NOBO from Route 4 in Vermont to Hanover NH. We'd like to park our car in Hanover (I understand from reading the Dartmouth Outing Club website that hiker parking is available at Dartmouth College) and then get transportation back to the AT trailhead on Route 4.

Can anyone provide information on our options for travelling back to Vermont?

Kerosene
07-28-2006, 07:49
I did that section in September of 2000. We got a shuttle from Andy Petersen, who lives just north of Hanover. He let us park at his home, and he picked up my hiking partner a day early after he wrenched his knee. Andy is retired from the paper industry and was very interesting. He's listed on Page 8 of the ATC Shuttle List (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/{D25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1}/ATshuttleWEB_July%2025_2006.pdf), along with several other shuttlers that cover this section.

Rough
07-28-2006, 10:14
Kerosene, I didn't know about the Shuttle List - thanks for the link. There are several options listed for Vermont and NH and we'll check them out. That's great info!

Steve W
07-31-2006, 11:11
You can take a bus from Hanover to the old AT crossing of Rt. 4 at the Long Trail Inn. I did this in reverse in 2003. I forget the name of the bus company. It was either Vermont Transit or Green Mountain Transit. It was very easy. The ride took about one hour.

Tramper Al
07-31-2006, 13:37
You can take a bus from Hanover to the old AT crossing of Rt. 4 at the Long Trail Inn. I did this in reverse in 2003. I forget the name of the bus company. It was either Vermont Transit or Green Mountain Transit. It was very easy. The ride took about one hour.

Vermont Transit is the company. They have rather a 'hub' in White River Junction, and I would not be surprised if you might have to go Hanover-WRJ, then WRJ-Rutland, depending on the time of day. I too have heard that you can be dropped off at the trail crossing on Rt 4.