PDA

View Full Version : Frogg Togg Pants or Marmot Full Zip Precip

the_iceman
07-27-2006, 20:47
I need to replace my rain pants for a thru-hike. I have read a lot of negative reviews and not too many positive ones on just about every brand and model of pants. Every time I think I have made a decision I read a really bad review. I am now looking at the Frogg Togg Pants (6.5 oz) and the Marmot Full Zip Precip (10 oz).

I think the reviews of the Frogg Toggs shoe them to clear be the most water proof but they are also rated as very prone to tearing and better for emergency or light duty activities. Since I am planning a February start my like may depend on these suckers. Icing conditions and blow downs have left me with some nice tears in some more durable pants.

On the other hand I have read a few reviews of the Precips that called them useless for waterproofing.

These are going to be my main outer pants. Any comments or suggestions?

bombayblue
07-27-2006, 21:17
I do not know anything about the pants you are talking about, but I work in an outdoor shop in NC and we sell marmot. The precip line has been around for a while and has proven to be a quality product. Starting in Feb. be prepared for cold through the beginning of April. Wear the precip with confidence. Good Luck.

generoll
07-27-2006, 21:42
i have the frog togs, but i can't really tell you how waterproof they are. i wore mine for one day on my section hike through a nonstop drizzle and was wet through and through by the end of the day. this was also the day i climbed Cheoah Bald and was slipping and sliding and struggling to keep my feet the whole time. Since I tend to perspire heavily on any climb I can't say whether I was wet from inside or from outside. On a cold rainy day with temps just above freezing I don't know how 'breathable' any fabrics are.

I had no trouble with them holding up. I took a tumble on the switchbacks on the trail into Cheoah Gap and bent my hiking srick, but no tears to the rain suit. I have no idea how they'd hold up to blackberry brambles or the like. Probably no better then my thin old man skin if I had to guess.

fiddlehead
07-27-2006, 22:12
The Frogg Toggs will be fine if you are careful with them. Sure sticker bushes (brambles) will tear them. And sliding down mtns of snow and ice will wear out the ass. But, they are cheap, lightweight, waterproof, breathable, and you can take them off fairly easy. (you won't be wearing them that much when the weather is nice)

Kaptain Kangaroo
07-27-2006, 23:02
I started my thru-hike this year with Frogg Toggs jacket & pants. I swapped out the pants for cheap coated nylon pants simply because everytime I sat down in them they picked up a heap of sticks, leaves & bark. The Frogg Toggs fabric gets a little fluffy after some wear & it just collects debris. Not a real problem with the jacket, but it annoyed me with the pants. The jacket was great. it keeps out the rain as well as anything does & it feels much nicer to wear than any other rain jacket I've ever owned. The fabric feels kind of warm & soft rather than like cold, clammy plastic like other jackets. Would buy another jacket, but not the pants.
Cheers,
Kaptain Kangaroo

Amigi'sLastStand
07-27-2006, 23:17
I've hiked with $10 Walmart running pants. They are not waterPROOF, but water resistant enough with a poncho to do the job. They are windproof, which was my main consideration. I suppose since no breathable cloth "breathes" when they are wet anyway,you could put on a light coat of DWP. They are pretty rugged and at $10, who cares. Toss a spare pair in a bounce box or have a friend mail you a new pair as use duct tape to hold you over.

Footslogger
07-27-2006, 23:52
With the possible exception of the early days/weeks when you might be hiking in wet/cold conditions, rain pants truthfully don't do much for you. They are hot to hike in and are a pain in the a$$ to get on and off.

If you're dead set on carrying rain pants though I'd suggest the Frogg Toggs ...in fact I'll even sell you a pair. I bought a set of Frogg Toggs during my 2003 thru. I started off with a nice laminate rain suit made by Sierra Designs. We had so much rain that both the jacket and pants literally soaked out and would not dry. When I got to Hot Springs I bought the Frogg Toggs. I never wore the pants and after about 2 weeks I sent them home.

In defense of Frogg Toggs I will tell you that the fabric does not collect/absorb moisture. The water beads up and runs off the suit. You can shake the jacket and hang it on a tree branch and in the morning it will be dry.

But ...I suggest again that you consider NOT carrying rain pants. Get a nice lightweight pair of nylon pants or the zip off legged convertibles and wear those on the cold/wet days. They will hold in your body heat and they will dry fast.

'Slogger

FatMan
07-28-2006, 00:34
I'm a big fan of Frogg Toggs. And I agree with everything Footslogger posted above.

fiddlehead
07-28-2006, 04:55
Nylon pants will not keep you dry in a rainstorm. But wear them anyway if you like. Up to you.

the_iceman
07-28-2006, 06:18
I am more concerned about cold and wind. Once the weather warms I do not bother with rain pants, I sweat way too much. For that matter, I use a light rain jacket for when I stop hiking. Any fabric that can breathe enough to let my gallons of sweat out would also let gallons of rain in.

Cedar Tree
07-28-2006, 08:59
I've hiked with $10 Walmart running pants. They are not waterPROOF, but water resistant enough with a poncho to do the job.

I used a < $10 pair of walmart running pants. They were one of the very few pieces of gear that actually went all the way from Springer to Katahdin. I sprayed them with silicon water repellent before, and I think once during my hike. Worked great, pretty light and with zippers on the bottoms of the legs, so you could put them on quickly without removing my shoes/boots.
CT

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-28-2006, 10:21
I've tried all the products mentioned.

For cold weather, I like Frogg Togg Pants - wind and waterproof, easily repaired with duct tape if they tear (mine never have). The Marmot Precips are good pants, but the Fogg Toggs breathe much better IMO.

For in-between temp weather, DWR nylon pants ($10 WalMart or less on clearance) work best for me.

In warm weather - a poncho and shorts. You're going to be soaked in sweat anyway...

Peaks
07-28-2006, 10:28
Frogg Toggs or PreCip rain pants? Good question.

Frogg Toggs: breath well, cheap, but prone to tearing. Definately not for off trail use.

PreCip: Good product. If yours leak, then clean it and treat it. Costs more.

Myself: Frogg Togg pants are the only long pants that I carry in warm weather. I've gotten some good mileage out of them. In addition to the AT, I used them on a coast to coast bike trip and numerous other bike tours and backpacking trips. The only rips came from wearing them while peak bagging trail less peaks in the Adirondacks.

Toolshed
07-28-2006, 11:30
Mountain Gear has the Precips on sale for $59
www.mgear.com

the_iceman
07-28-2006, 16:18
Thanks Toolshed, that is why I posted. They are already in my shopping cart and I thought it wise to double check before I buy.

scope
08-03-2006, 20:23
In warm weather - a poncho and shorts. You're going to be soaked in sweat anyway...

I don't understand the need for a poncho? You'd be soaked in sweat anyway, right? Most of us need a bath while we're on the trail and what a great way to get one from mother nature. :rolleyes:

Footslogger
08-03-2006, 20:25
I don't understand the need for a poncho? You'd be soaked in sweat anyway, right? Most of us need a bath while we're on the trail and what a great way to get one from mother nature. :rolleyes:
==========================
If you're willing to carry a poncho why not consider the "Packa"

http://www.thepacka.com/

'Slogger

scope
08-03-2006, 23:53
'Slog - I assume you meant to quote FD?

I don't get having a poncho, packa, or any other form of rain 'protection' in warm weather. (for me, pack gets a cover)

Footslogger
08-04-2006, 08:27
'Slog - I assume you meant to quote FD?

I don't get having a poncho, packa, or any other form of rain 'protection' in warm weather. (for me, pack gets a cover)
============================

Yeah ...I agree that rain gear of any type is a mixed benefit in hot weather. There were days during my thru in 2003 though when it felt good to have something on that would shed the constant downpour. The Packa is a good compromise between a poncho and rain jacket. Best thing is that it rides above the shoulder straps of your backpack so there is better ventillation as compared to a traditional rain jacket.

'Slogger

The Band-aid Kid
08-05-2006, 22:37
Frogg Toggs or PreCip rain pants? Good question.

I Have not tried the Frogg Toggs, but have a pair of Precip's that I've used in some hard downpour rain/snow mixes and they kept me dry. They breath well in colder temps; I sweat a lot but have had no problems with getting wet inside. They have held up well to some tough terrain and off-trail hikes. In warm weather I find they get too warm, but in cold temps they have worked great for me.