PDA

View Full Version : Sewing machine idiot here...

blackbishop351
07-27-2006, 23:52
Yeah, so...I found someone nice enough to let me use a sewing machine on an 'extended loan' type agreement. I've also got a couple of people around who'll help me learn how to use the thing, but they're busy for the next few days and I'm impatient. I can hand sew like the devil, so I figure it can't be THAT hard to figure out. I'm wrong. :(

I found a website that goes into a fair amount of detail on the setup, threading, etc. I followed the instructions, and I think I have the needle thread run correctly. I've also got the bobbin threaded. I can get the needle thread (eventually) to catch the bobbin thread. Now we come to my first problem.

The website doesn't say what I'm supposed to do with the end of the bobbin thread, once I have the bobbin in its little 'hole'. I've just been leaving it loose. If I work the wheel enough, the needle thread catches it. Is this right?

Now I've got the needle thread run, and the bobbin thread caught, its end hanging off to the side of the machine. Problem: the bobbin thread runs from the needle, down into the base, effectively blocking the spot I need the fabric to be. Solution: just put the fabric in anyway, pushing the thread to the side?

Now I start trying to stitch. Problem: every time I start stitching, the needle thread pulls out of the eye of the needle, and no stitching occurs. Only the first 'loop' of the two threads sticks into the fabric. After that, it's just a big tangle. Solution: untangle and try again?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

corentin
07-27-2006, 23:54
The bobbin thread should be free of the needle. You put your fabric between the threads, one on top, one on bottom.

blackbishop351
07-28-2006, 00:04
Ok thanks...I'll try that :D

More problems to come, I'm sure.

blackbishop351
07-28-2006, 00:15
Ok...that didn't work, unless I'm misunderstanding. :(

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-28-2006, 00:18
What did it do, Blackbishop? Did it sew at all? Did the thread turn into a tangled mess?

Patrick
07-28-2006, 02:00
Bishop, make sure you've got enough thread hanging out. I always pull both over the end of my machine (say six or eight inches). If it's too short, it will pull out of the needle like you're saying and can also tangle because the bottom end can get wrapped around itself.

Are you sewing sil-nylon? For me, that has a tendency to tangle threads much more than anything else, especially when I'm at the end of the fabric. If so, practice with something heavier, like some scrap 1.9 oz. The foot will grip it better, it will tangle less, and you'll get a better sense of how everything works without having to fight the fabric.

Keep the questions coming if you're still having problems. There are definitely plenty of sewing machine maestros on White Blaze.

blackbishop351
07-28-2006, 02:06
Patrick - I got some help re-threading the bobbin (thank you, corentin)...I had that part wrong for sure. I've got about 10 inches of thread hanging out of both the bobbin and the needle, too.

And for the moment, I'm just trying cheap cotton thread and an old t-shirt. Just to get the thing working. Get a feel for it. I definitely don't want to go spending $$ on good thread and silnylon if I'm just going to tear it up :P

blackbishop351
07-28-2006, 02:08
And yes, I got a tangled mess. And yes, it sewed....ONCE...about 6 or 7 stitches' worth.

During my last four attempts, the needle unthreaded three times, the bobbin jammed twice, and I got some actual stitching once. Not the best track record :(

Amigi'sLastStand
07-28-2006, 04:00
I sew, but I am no expert by any stretch. I just found out yesterday ( duh ) that I sewed my tarptent with COTTON thread:datz, totally wrong. But BB, my wife and her mother are both really good seamstresses. When I get home to FL in two weeks I will ask them to look at this thread and see if they can help. I'm just happy your trying a learn a new skill that you can use forever. Very cool dude:sun :clap .

jazilla
07-28-2006, 08:11
I am just starting too. I always pull out too much just in case. Like 10 inches. Also make sure the bobin is threaded right. Then make sure the thread from the spool is running ok. Then make sure its on a stitch you like. Then you have to set the tension. For thinner material I use setting 4 and the seems to work for everything I sew. Also learn peddle control. Sew slow, if you speed threw you are more likly to screw up. Also make sure you pin everything then sew. Its like a good Steak. Its not just how you cook it but how you prepair ir to be cooked. Last, just do it. I have ripped enough now that I think I am starting to get it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-28-2006, 08:34
First, I suggest you learn on a woven material rather than knits and that you set it for about 6 stitches per inch. Second, I suggest you go to the manufacturer's web site and see if a manual is available online for the machine you are using. If so, it will usually have a diagram of how to thread the machine.

If the thread is turning into a tangled mess it usually means the machine is threaded wrong or the tension is wrong for the type of thread and material you are using. There are two tension settings. This site (http://www.geocities.com/gengvall/sew/sew.html)gives the best overall instruction for a novice I have seen in regard to setting tension and using the other mysterious parts on a sewing machine.

Alligator
07-28-2006, 09:52
If it's any consolation, it took me about 3 nights to get the machine to run correctly. It didn't help that when I first got the machine, I played with just about every setting and mucked it up. I have a bookmark for a guy who has multitudes of sewing manuals available, I was able to purchase the one for my model machine. The bookmark is on another machine, I'll grab it later.

Did you make sure the foot was down? The fabric won't feed through if it's not.

Don't worry, once you get it set up right, you'll be laughing about how hard it was.

StarLyte
07-28-2006, 10:24
It sounds like your tension is off. Adjust your tension setting ONE NOTCH or ONE NUMBER each way, each time. Your tension will have to be adjusted for different thicknesses of thread and different types of material.

If your tension isn't set right, what you are explaining will occur.

There IS A TENSION KNOB. Find it on your machine. Read your manual if you can't figure it out. Sewing machines are a little intimidating aren't they.

Oh yeah-make sure your pressure foot is down like Alligator mentioned.

If all else fails, contact your local fabric shop (Joanne Fabrics?) and see when the next beginner's sewing class starts. Don't be shy. Good luck.

blackbishop351
07-28-2006, 10:33
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. Here's where I am now -

Foot has always been down. Like I said, I found a pretty good introduction to sewing page, and I didn't miss that part :D

Tension was set at "5" when I got the machine, and I've turned it down to "4" since, thinking that was the problem. Didn't help. Should I set it lower?

You guys have no idea how embarassing this is! LOL I've walked into a particle accelerator facility with NO experience before....summer REU program...and didn't have this much trouble! Man...I hope my physics buddies don't hear about this when they get back here in a couple of weeks!

I don't really have the time/$$ right now for a class, although that'd probably be the best option. Like I said orignally, I'm also supposed to have some help coming sometime next week...I'm impatient though. And I'm also really stubborn, so now that I've started playing with this, I'm not gonna quit until it works! lol

Thanks again for all the help! I'll keep plugging away! :D

StarLyte
07-28-2006, 10:46
Don't be embarrassed. I admire you.

Go to an online sewing forum. You will positively get help that way. For free :D

blackbishop351
07-28-2006, 10:55
I don't suppose you have a link for one? I'm finding out recently that I have 'internet search issues'....I can't seem to find stuff I'm looking for, usually the more obvious it is, the less likely I'll see it :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-28-2006, 11:08
Just as home depot offers free classes, fabric stores often offer classes. You might check with them. Don't be embrassed - I got my training in 8th grade home ec (manditory for all girls back then) and screwed up so much the teacher let me go to shop class during much of the year (where I wanted to be, but it wasn't PC for a girl to take shop back then). The shop teacher was OK with me being there once he realized I was really interested in power tools more than the boys operating them :D (oh, the jokes that could be made about this)

blackbishop351
07-28-2006, 11:14
Dino - yeah.....I'm not gonna touch that with a 10' treehugger! lol WAAAAY too easy!

StarLyte
07-28-2006, 11:23
I don't suppose you have a link for one? I'm finding out recently that I have 'internet search issues'....I can't seem to find stuff I'm looking for, usually the more obvious it is, the less likely I'll see it :D

http://sewing.about.com/mpboards.htm

http://www.sewingworld.com/cgi-bin/bbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

http://www.fiskars.com/US/

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=5

blackbishop351
07-28-2006, 11:28
StarLyte - Thanks!! I've joined one and posted, so we'll see what kind of help I can get!

Just Jeff
07-28-2006, 11:39
...I definitely don't want to go spending $$ on good thread...

That's likely your problem. My machine was set up perfectly but I couldn't stitch for more than an inch or two before it broke. Changing the thread, and nothing else, fixed the problem.

Drop the $5 on a spool of Guttermanns.

blackbishop351
07-28-2006, 11:43
Hmm...not a bad idea, Jeff. Thanks. I'm using a really cheap thread I bought a long time ago for hand-stitching. Might very well not be strong enough.

Just Jeff
07-28-2006, 11:51
Yep - I was saving a few bucks by using $.50/spool Coats and Clark from Walmart. Never again. Friends don't let friends use Coats and Clark.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-28-2006, 12:09
While we disagree on Coats and Clark, Jeff makes an excellent point - use good thread for all projects. I've used Coats most expensive upholstery thread (in nylon and polyester) successfully many times, but the bottom of line grade sold at Wal-Mart is trash. Wal-Mart’s store brand thread is probably the worst thread I've ever seen.

Just Jeff
07-28-2006, 12:32
Ok, maybe I was hasty about the Coats and Clark comment. Coats didn't have any better stuff than that in the stores (Walmart and a local fabric shop) when I bought my Guttermanns. I've never used their expensive stuff.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-28-2006, 13:00
Your muon is out of whack dude. If your gluon scale isnt set right, you wont have the bonding power. Try to us a Heisenberg compensator if you know where you are but cant figure out how fast your going. Lastly, I think your flavor combination is wrong. You cant make pea soup with peas, ya know. Respin the things and then you'll make the quantum leap.

( Yes, I am a physics geek too, but not on your level. I just read a lot!:D )

Patrick
07-28-2006, 13:23
You guys have no idea how embarassing this is! LOL I've walked into a particle accelerator facility with NO experience before....summer REU program...and didn't have this much trouble! Man...I hope my physics buddies don't hear about this when they get back here in a couple of weeks!

I'm a f***ing idiot because I can't make a lamp?

No, you're a genius 'cause you can't make a lamp.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>What do you know about trigonometry?

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>I could care less about trigonometry.

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>Bender, did you know without trigonometry there would be no engineering?

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>Without lamps there'd be no light.

:sun

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Mouse Poo
07-28-2006, 13:49
before you begin sewing until you get a couple stitches down. Otherwise the machine pulls in inside resulting in tangles. Your tension may also be too low. My machine is set at 6 for regular fabrics. Hope this helps.

blackbishop351
07-28-2006, 14:13
Your muon is out of whack dude. If your gluon scale isnt set right, you wont have the bonding power. Try to us a Heisenberg compensator if you know where you are but cant figure out how fast your going. Lastly, I think your flavor combination is wrong. You cant make pea soup with peas, ya know. Respin the things and then you'll make the quantum leap.

( Yes, I am a physics geek too, but not on your level. I just read a lot!:D )

See?? I KNEW there was a simpler explanation!! I'm just experiencing quantum foam! The thread's simply becoming temporarily massless at the point of contact with the needle, due to unpredictable fluctuations of space-time at on the Planck scale!!

That being said, I'm talking to the wrong people....I'm off to email Brian Greene! :D

Just Jeff
07-28-2006, 23:41
Shoot - if I knew you were THAT uninformed I would have started at the beginning. I figured you already had that part taken care of. I had my kindergardener do that to my machine before I sewed my first hammock.

Big Dawg
07-29-2006, 07:22
Yeah, so...I found someone nice enough to let me use a sewing machine on an 'extended loan' type agreement. I've also got a couple of people around who'll help me learn how to use the thing, but they're busy for the next few days and I'm impatient. I can hand sew like the devil, so I figure it can't be THAT hard to figure out. I'm wrong. :(

I found a website that goes into a fair amount of detail on the setup, threading, etc. I followed the instructions, and I think I have the needle thread run correctly. I've also got the bobbin threaded. I can get the needle thread (eventually) to catch the bobbin thread. Now we come to my first problem.

The website doesn't say what I'm supposed to do with the end of the bobbin thread, once I have the bobbin in its little 'hole'. I've just been leaving it loose. If I work the wheel enough, the needle thread catches it. Is this right?

Now I've got the needle thread run, and the bobbin thread caught, its end hanging off to the side of the machine. Problem: the bobbin thread runs from the needle, down into the base, effectively blocking the spot I need the fabric to be. Solution: just put the fabric in anyway, pushing the thread to the side?

Now I start trying to stitch. Problem: every time I start stitching, the needle thread pulls out of the eye of the needle, and no stitching occurs. Only the first 'loop' of the two threads sticks into the fabric. After that, it's just a big tangle. Solution: untangle and try again?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh brother,,,,, I'm feeling guilty :<( LOL!! You're wanting to get started, & I've been too busy to run by & help ya (Dad's doing better, by the way). It's been a crazy week, as you can imagine. I've got a busy day 2moro, but I'm willing to come by for a bit to get you set up & sewing. I know once I got past the initial set-up & learning phase, I was rolling. I'll PM ya.