PDA

View Full Version : vt/mass section hike

k-n
07-28-2006, 10:23
my cuz and i are doing a section hike from 7 or so miles into vt ,to upper goose pond cabin in mass.the trail guide says there is parking off u.s. 20. we are gonna leave a car there is it reliable/safe? any helpful hints for those sections would be appreciated. go mets.

plydem
07-28-2006, 11:12
They just added a parking lot on Rt. 20 for Appalachian Trail hikers - it's nice! This is a pretty main road and I think it's pretty safe. You're right near a little Inn as well.

Frosty
07-28-2006, 14:48
They just added a parking lot on Rt. 20 for Appalachian Trail hikers - it's nice! This is a pretty main road and I think it's pretty safe. You're right near a little Inn as well.Is this new? All I recall is a slight widening of the breakdown on the north side of Rte 20. There is an Inn/motel just west of the road crossing. Forget the name.

Not sure I would leave a car overnight on the side of Rte 20. Seems to be begging for a crime of opportunity. I'd check with the motel. For a couple bucks a day maybe you could park in their lot.

plydem
07-28-2006, 15:15
Yes, it's very new. There's even a nice sign indicating it's for the AT. I was just through there a couple weeks ago. It is in the little side-street on the southbound (eastbound?) side of the road (same side as the hotel/inn).

Frosty
07-28-2006, 16:29
Yes, it's very new. There's even a nice sign indicating it's for the AT. I was just through there a couple weeks ago. It is in the little side-street on the southbound (eastbound?) side of the road (same side as the hotel/inn).
That's great. Thanks.

kenkittle
07-28-2006, 20:10
A few years ago I parked my car along RT.20 and hiked north. When I returned a week later some miscreants busted out my windshield. So take it from me, don't leave vechicles there.:eek:

Blue Jay
07-29-2006, 08:15
Leaving a car at any trail head on the entire AT overnight is a risk. Some places more than others. I don't believe this one is one of the more dangerous ones.

Blue Jay
07-29-2006, 08:17
Oh, it helps to have a crap car and leave a few kids toys on the back seat. Sometimes even idiots have a heart.

k-n
07-31-2006, 19:08
thanx for the info

Cosmo
07-31-2006, 20:38
The parking lot went in last year. It's pretty close to a house and visible from the highway. I'v parked there for several 2-3 day outings with no problems. Of course, to be safest, better to leave your car at a motel.

Enjoy your hike, Upper Goose Pond is in great shape, just the thing for this hot weather!

Cosmo

oruoja
08-02-2006, 02:31
Just finished a Salisbury, Ct to North Adams, Ma section yesterday and left my car at the Greylock Community Club on Rte 2 with no problems. Berkshire transit connects to most trail towns or nearby, so that could be an option for section hikers.