PDA

View Full Version : Too tall for normal gear

opqdan
07-28-2006, 14:48
Im looking to purchase pretty much all new gear in the next few months to a year. I will be finishing my degree and getting married in the winter, and I want to start hiking with the almost-Mrs (previously I always used my the gear that my father and I used so I've not got much of my own).

One of the difficulties that I am having in deciding on gear is that most of it is simply not designed for somebody with my height of 6'7".

For instance, most sleeping bags (even those sold as 'long') say that they'll fit up to 6'4". In the past I had a North Face Cat's Meow long that worked okay, but it was a little uncomfortable and I could not use the hood without curling up a little (not a simple task in a mummy bag). If I do not plan on using the hood, I would be fine, but I would rather not have to rely on that.

Is there a manufacturer out there who creates abnormally tall sleeping bags? While writing this, I noticed that Marmot produces both the 'H' and 'He' longs at 6'6", but that is still cutting it close (it's the same as the North Face).

Other than that, I suppose most of my gear is pretty independent of height (asside from torso lenght in packs, but my height comes from my legs). Don't get me started on looking for pants that fit though.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-28-2006, 14:53
Several of the 'cottage' manufacturers will make items to order. You might want to look into that option.

The Solemates
07-28-2006, 15:04
The length of many "long" sleeping bags is 6'6"; I have two that are that length. Do you really need that extra inch? If you are a side sleeper, it doesn't matter anyways....you will have your legs somewhat bent. How often do you really stretch completely out in your bag? Even if you do stretch completely out, your head will stick out an inch. Big deal. I would just consider buying the stock sleeping bag instead of paying extra for a company to make you one.

opqdan
07-28-2006, 15:10
The length of many "long" sleeping bags is 6'6"; I have two that are that length. Do you really need that extra inch? If you are a side sleeper, it doesn't matter anyways....you will have your legs somewhat bent. How often do you really stretch completely out in your bag? Even if you do stretch completely out, your head will stick out an inch. Big deal. I would just consider buying the stock sleeping bag instead of paying extra for a company to make you one.

That is what I plan on doing unless somebody happens to already produce taller bags.

The problem with 6'6" bags is that they are made to hold a MAXIMUM of 6'6", so even at that height it would be a snug fit (feet agains the bottom, top of the head pressed against the hood). One inch more makes it not fit very well at all. I think that I will just have to get used to a more curled up position. It isn't that bad, like I said, I used to use a 6'6" bag, I just wondered whether anybody made longer ones.

jlb2012
07-28-2006, 15:24
As a quick check I looked at the Feathered Friends website for sleeping bag sizing and they mentioned a Custom Long size for 7'0" - unfortunately I don't know if that sizing is available in all FF bags but the fact that they mention it indicates that they are willing to consider making a larger bag

Alligator
07-28-2006, 15:57
Here you go bud.
http://www.sierradesigns.com/bags.display.php?id=102
says it fits up to 7'0"
Paul Bunyan extra long, Sierra Designs.
$129 Campmor
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39606&memberId=12500226

Several Western Mountaineering bags. (Oooh expensive!)
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Pricing

Fits to 6'8"
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39173288&memberId=12500226

Cedar Tree
07-28-2006, 17:26
Im looking to purchase pretty much all new gear in the next few months to a year.

What are you considering for rain protection? I invite you to check out the Packa (www.thepacka.com).

I make adjustments in sleeve length, and hem length, or whatever you want. My last Packa sold, about a week ago, was a bottom hem length adjustment. Guy wanted 6 inches added. It came out pretty good, but it was about mid-shin level on me and I'm 6ft.

Thanks,
Cedar Tree

Doctari
07-28-2006, 17:45
Stephensons makes a bag they say will fit to 7'

http://www.warmlite.com/bags.htm

And I second the idea of contacting some of the cottage Mfgrs, they may be able at minimal added cost to acomidate you.

Doctari.

Touch of Grey
07-28-2006, 21:45
As a 6' 3", 255 lbs, a size 14 or 15 shoe, stomach sleeper with a 46 inch chest, I can feel your pain.

I have a Western Mountaineering bag made for 6' 6". So long as I am on my back it's a wonderful bag. The minute I go to my stomach the bag cramps my feet and wakes me. Solution: Hammock Hanging. I rarely make it to my stomach in this configuration. Of course not everyone is made for hanging.

You would think with my height that I would be a long or large frame for a pack not so. See a compitent outfitter to help you fit your pack. Try and avoid using water or other weight subtitutes to test the pack. Take your own gear if possible or clothes and stuff from home near the weight you expect to carry. Load the bag as you would for a hike and wear it for an hour walking around the store. It's not foolproof but will give you some idea of whether or not it will be possibly comfortable for 10 to 12 of hiking.

My problem on the trail next year will be shoe replacement. Not everyone carries my size and not all feel comfortable from the start when they do. I have two styles that right now feel comfortable here at home on the home trails and a shoe salesman who will supply me next year. What's left? Finding which shoes feel comfortable next year and hold up in the long run.

Good Luck! Don't compromise your personal comfort by too much or you might find the trail beating you back home. Pain on the trail is a given on any given day. Let it be the trail that beats you not your gear!

Touch of Grey

Lrg 50KR
07-29-2006, 10:29
let me second the notion of using a hammock....and suggest a quilt instead of a bag, whther you go with the hammock or not. I am 6'4" ish and 270lbs...my son (15) is now 6'5" and 190. We both swear by hammocks.

Finding gear that fits is a challenge and it will get worse for my son as we expect it possible for him to grow another six inches...and he wears a size 19 shoe.

I gave up sleeping in a bag a couple years ago, just using it as a quilt. Ihave now gone to a JacksRBetter Hiker/Biker quilt and will making heavier quilts for deep winter. It is much easier to deal with a quilt than a bag, and a hammcok is just much more comfortable...especially after and before each long day.

bigcranky
07-30-2006, 19:56
Gear: Western Mountaineering offers several bags in a standard 7-foot length. For a pack, I suspect that the large size Osprey and Gregory packs should fit, but go to an outfitter to get measured. Both Ridgerest and Thermarest offer sleeping pads in a 77-inch length, some of them quite light. You could buy a Tarptent, which is plenty long enough for a tall person, or you could order a tarp from Mountain Laurel Designs, which will custom-make it for your height.

Clothing: I'm only 6-2 and I have a hard time finding outdoor clothing. REI and LL Bean offer many items of their own brand clothing in tall sizes, which might come close to fitting. You should be able to get shirts and fleece and that sort of thing this way, but you'll need to order from their catalogs. They also offer rain shells, pants, etc. For a perfect jacket, consider Beyond Fleece, which makes custom clothing at very reasonable prices.

The clothing from the major manufacturers doesn't come in tall sizes, so you're pretty much SOL on that. I can occasionally find something that's long enough in the sleeves -- Marmot is pretty good at this -- but most clothing just isn't right.

Good luck.

chicote
07-31-2006, 12:31

I wouldn't settle. You'd get by but what's the point of spending money on something that doesn't fit right? And if it gets cold and you have to zip up all the way — that extra compression your feet head elbows are putting on the bag effectively reduces the insulation properties of the bag. Get one that fits. Look at those Western Mountaineering bags and call them and Feathered Friends. Get the right thing it will be worth it!

opqdan
07-31-2006, 12:43
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll have to look at those bags in detail. The hammock idea sounds neat, but my camping/hiking buddy will be my (at that time) wife. I like that I can buy a left zipped and a right zipped bag and zip them together... ;)

I'm pretty much set on what I want pack (an osprey aether 60 or atmos 50), and tent wise (tarptent double rainbow), and I am fine with a short sleeping pad (I normally used a 3/4 length), so the sleeping bag was the only thing holding me back.