PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian Trail hikers had a 45% diarrhea rate.

Ridge
07-29-2006, 00:04
http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/522340/

Check out the Link at the bottom of this good article for more details and other issues involving hygiene.

generoll
07-29-2006, 08:30
an interesting bit of data, but i wonder how they came to the conclusion that 45% of thru hikers on the AT had diarrhea? studies like this tend to take a small subsection of a population and then extrapolate that number to the entire population. their three bowl method is not feasible for most AT hikers in my opinion since most of us are in practical terms solo hikers. we may or may not attach on to a group, but unless i am specifically hiking with someone else, i carry everything that i will need myself. i don't think that i'm unique in this.

personally, i do carry a sanitizer in my toilet kit along with my tp and baby wipes. i think that good handwashing along with boiling the water that i use for cooking pretty well does the task. (knock on wood)

the issues they raise are valid, i just am always leery of claims made based upon studies where the statistics can't be backed up.

Tha Wookie
07-29-2006, 08:50
Interesting study. I imagine hostels and other groups feeding groups would benefit from this.

thanks for sharing!

One Leg
07-29-2006, 09:57
One of my old favorite trail jokes:

What do you call a hiker with constipation?

A showoff!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-29-2006, 10:08
I'd be interested in what % of the general population experiences diarrhea during a four to six month period for comparison. I'd also be interested in how many hikers experienced the symptoms after being in town and pigging out at an AYCE buffet that might not have been up to snuff. What I'm saying is that if bad hygiene were the primary cause, I would expect to see hikers getting ill over and over and being ill much of the time.

Almost There
07-29-2006, 15:08
All I can say as a section hiker after being out for several days eating ramen, if I rush into town and pig out on greasy or rich foods, within a couple hours I'm a Brown Blazin' all the way. It's a natural thing, now if after a day or two they still are Brown Blazin' then....it might be something else. No big deal! Think of it as a Trail Colonic!

Footslogger
07-29-2006, 15:10
Appalachian Trail hikers had a 45% diarrhea rate

=============================

Well ...ain't THAT the ****z !!

'Slogger

Amigi'sLastStand
07-29-2006, 17:30
I'm trying to go a little lighter for my achy knees, and now I have to carry THREE BOWELS!!!!! er...BOWLS!!!!!!!

Brushy Sage
07-29-2006, 21:44
They used very loose statistics (pun noted). The writers could have legitimately said that the majority of AT hikers did not get diarrhea. But that would not have contributed to their article.

smokymtnsteve
07-29-2006, 21:47
back in 1999 and 2000 while I was taking the protease inhibitor VIRACEPT I had constant diaherrra regardless of wether I wuz on the trail or not,

HOWDY LONE WOLF,,,I know you'll be nosing and sniffin around this here forum!

Peaks
07-30-2006, 09:07
an interesting bit of data, but i wonder how they came to the conclusion that 45% of thru hikers on the AT had diarrhea? .

87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Vi+
07-30-2006, 12:11
A synopsis of the article seems to be, Remove visible food residue and grease with detergent in one bowl. Wash the dishes with bleach until visibly clean in a second bowl. Rinse, using safe water, in a suitably cleaned third bowl to remove disinfectant residue.

Why not use a single bowl, in a three-stage process, to achieve the same result?

Peaks
07-30-2006, 18:10
A synopsis of the article seems to be, Remove visible food residue and grease with detergent in one bowl. Wash the dishes with bleach until visibly clean in a second bowl. Rinse, using safe water, in a suitably cleaned third bowl to remove disinfectant residue.

Why not use a single bowl, in a three-stage process, to achieve the same result?

Then again, what's a bowl? I certainly don't carry one when I'm solo.

Vi+
07-30-2006, 19:57
Peaks,

You ask, “what's a bowl? I certainly don't carry one when I'm solo.”

The thread includes a concern with having to carry three bowls. My post was to suggest carrying a single bowl, if you want to go through the “purification ritual” detailed by the site.

The fact that you ask “what's a bowl?" indicates you don’t feel the need to carry one. My post wasn't designed to address the lack of a need.

A practical answer to “what's a bowl?” I cut the top off a soft-sided one-liter water cube, converting it from a water bottle into a bowl. I sometimes carry it during hot weather and wash myself, my dishes, and articles of clothing using dry soap flakes from a zip-loc bag. My “bowl” smashes completely, requires practically no additional pack volume, and weighs one-tenth of an ounce.

I always hike solo. If I don't carry it, no one else will either.

Almost There
07-30-2006, 22:49
Folks, your bowls, etc. aren't going to give you the BIG D. Unless, you leave food in it and let it sit for a few days without using it again. Rinse after eating and dry out. Wash it when you hit running water, and you'll be fine.

Newb
07-31-2006, 07:42
what's washing?