PDA

View Full Version : shuttle recommendation in Franklin NC???

MedicineMan
03-26-2003, 23:48
Our April hike is Wallace Gap to Deep Gap so we are looking for a shuttle/shuttler in the Franklin NC area....anyone know of one they would recommend?
As always thanks in advance.

max patch
03-26-2003, 23:55
Jensine and Buddy who used to own Rainbow Springs are still in the shuttle business...I'd send Jensine an email at her new address and see if they are available when you need the shuttle.

If they are unavailable I'm sure Jensine would refer you to the new owners of Rainbow Springs.

MedicineMan
03-27-2003, 00:19
Thanks max patch!
Where is Jensine's new e-mail address? is it here at Whiteblaze somewhere?

Jumpstart
03-27-2003, 08:41
As of last year, the Franklin Motel maintained a list of people willing to shuttle in the area, most were from a local hiking/maintaining club, we had a really nice guy who picked us up in town and brought us back to the trail. I'm sure if you called them, they could help out and give you numbers, their number is :1-800-433-5507.

max patch
03-27-2003, 08:41
From Trailplace:

[email protected]

Jensine and Buddy Crossman
Franklin, North Carolina
Telephone - daytime: 828-349-9597, evening: 828-349-9597
Available: Year round, weather permitting
Advanced notice: asmuch as possible, prefer 2 weeks
Cost: $/miles

MedicineMan
03-27-2003, 23:54
Jensine/Buddy were busy, called Rainbow Springs and they said no problem so April 6-8 it is Deep Gap to Wallace.

jensine
03-28-2003, 12:49
We're sorry that we couldn't help simva, we already had a shuttle booked for April 6th. We are doing shuttles, if you need one please contact us via email or call us at 828-349-9597.
Please allow at least 2 weeks notice if possible.
Thanks, Jensine & Buddy

MOWGLI
03-28-2003, 13:39
Little Bear from 2000 here. I hope you & Buddy are doing well in retirement, or whatever you're up to.

I'm thinkin about thru-hikin the Benton MacKaye Trail in a few weeks. Can you tell me anything about the 14 mile road walk near Franklin? Is it interesting, or should I get a shuttle through there?

Thanks.

Little Bear
GA-ME 2000

Youngblood
03-28-2003, 18:37
Little Bear wrote:

"I'm thinkin about thru-hikin the Benton MacKaye Trail in a few weeks. Can you tell me anything about the 14 mile road walk near Franklin? Is it interesting, or should I get a shuttle through there?"

You've got your trails mixed up. The Bartram Trail is the one that has the 14 mile road walk near Franklin, NC. If I can work it out, I wouldn't mind doing a little hiking with you. BTW, I did a day hike with Sarge, Tater and Recycle between Unicoi Gap and Dicks Creek on the AT in GA last saturday...Recycle is making his 3rd thru-hike attempt.

Youngblood

jensine
03-28-2003, 22:30
Hi Little Bear, I remember you from you AT thru-hike. Sorry we
can't advise you on the road walk out of Franklin. Would suggest
you contact Kay or Jack Coriell with the Nantahala Hiking club,
I'm sure they've led hikes on it numberous times and could help you. I think they're phone or email is on one of the boards here,
if not let me know and I can get you thier phone #.
Best regaards,
Jensine & Buddy
P.S. We're doing fine. Thanks much for asking.

jensine
03-28-2003, 22:31
GEEZ, sorry for the typos and misspellings. Forgot to check it before posting.

MOWGLI
03-29-2003, 09:00
Originally posted by Youngblood

You've got your trails mixed up. The Bartram Trail is the one that has the 14 mile road walk near Franklin, NC. If I can work it out, I wouldn't mind doing a little hiking with you. BTW, I did a day hike with Sarge, Tater and Recycle between Unicoi Gap and Dicks Creek on the AT in GA last saturday...Recycle is making his 3rd thru-hike attempt.

Youngblood

Is this the Youngblood I hiked with in 2000?????

Thanks Jensine. Glad to hear you're doing well! If it make you feel any better, at all my slideshows, I tell 'em Bryson is full of crap with regard to Rainbow Springs. I enjoyed my stay & your chili.

Youngblood, Y'all are right. I am mixing up my trails. Thanks for the clarification. I have a book entitled Long Trails of the Southeast by Johnny Molloy (Menasha Ridge Press) which was published in 2002. Its got some good info on the Batram & Benton MacKaye Trails. I need to pick up the maps.

Youngblood, whoever you are, if you are interested in a hike with an out-of-shape hiker formerly known as Little Bear, maybe we can do some hikin together. I want to traverse the 93 mile trail in 8 days, or about 11-12 miles per day. Plan to start Saturday April 12 at Springer. Hope to finish by Sunday April 20 at Thunder Rock Campground. I start an outrageously exciting new job in Chattanooga on April 21. This amazing opportunity is only possible because of my thru-hike. The hike will be between jobs.

Drop me a note at [email protected]

Youngblood
03-29-2003, 10:30
Originally posted by TNJED
Is this the Youngblood I hiked with in 2000?????

Yep, it's me!

I think I can make the dates you mentioned. I hiked the Benton MacKaye Trail last year on weekends. It's a neat trail, you will like it.

I'll send you a private post later and fill you in on the info I have. www.bmta.org has detailed descriptions of most of the trail. If you have TOPO! software, detailed 1:24,000 series maps with notes are available for free on www.maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/ or I can send you the copies I have...I think I may have added some info for the section in TN.

Youngblood, GAME 2000

MedicineMan
04-09-2003, 23:25
Just to let you all know, Barry of Rainbow Springs shuttled us the first day and was a joy to deal with....my third day I was shuttled by NightStalker, a friend of the Rainbow Springs crowd....also met members of the Hobos (trail devils?) while at RainbowSprings,,,cool dudes and def. worth your while seeking out at Brown Gap when they do the cooking thing.

Hammock Hanger
04-10-2003, 00:02
I have all the maps and will be doing the Bartram trail in a few days. From what I got per the NC BT Society it is a busy road walk and they suggest you skip it. -- I WILL be doing the road walk and will tell you about it as soon as I get back. (@4/23)

HH