PDA

View Full Version : Trail Specific Concerns for Dogs

frieden
07-29-2006, 08:16
When I logged on this morning, there was a picture of a guy crossing a river, with two hiking poles. The water was up past his knees.

How do you handle crossing one of these rivers with a dog? Something tells me that the leash-attached-to-my-waist system that we normally use, isn't the wisest of ideas in this situation.

the goat
07-29-2006, 09:38
gernerally speaking, any river that you can ford, your dog'll be able to swim across, leash-free. hell, my pooch swam the kennebeck & beat the canoe across the river! i really haven't seen anything on the AT that was difficult for my dog. of course, that could all change with abnormally heavy rainfall, but in that case, you'll have issues too.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-29-2006, 13:28
Not a dog person, but do have a question about this. While I have no doubt a large or midium sized dog could cross a body of water you can safely cross, would this also be true of the smaller breeds some have mentioned wanting to bring?

soulrebel
07-29-2006, 14:52
drown them and then resucitate on the other side. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-29-2006, 15:00
Hmmm... I'm thinking a few states might forbid this practice :D

general
07-29-2006, 16:25
small dogs are usually small enough to carry. most deep places that i've had to cross, the dog had swam to the other side before i got across. take the dogs pack off, shoulder it, and let em' at it. if a dog were reluctant to cross, i would first look for an obvious reason, such as a snake in the water or something crazy like that. if no obvious reason is present, i would try to find a log or some other way for dog to cross. if nothing could be found, swim boy SWIM. i've never had the problem myself. my dog suffers from separation anxiety, so where i go, he goes. he's also an excellent swimmer, cause we live on a river.

Rain
07-29-2006, 17:01
I agree with General. Smaller dogs (toys, terriers, etc.) could find a place on or in a backpack. Medium and large dogs take more considerations. Knee deep? Well I think the speed of the river would matter here. If its slow moving, then you and your dog should have no trouble (unless Ed isn't familiar with water/swimming) crossing. Fast moving water/rapids are a whole other issue. I would suggesting going through these crossings with at least one other hiker. If its possible to wait for another to show or buddy hike in areas that are known to have fast moving water. This is definitely a good question though. Do you know how well Ed likes water in general? Do you have access to different rivers that you both can experiment with?

frieden
07-29-2006, 23:17
Ed loves water, but he's never been in water deep enough to swim in. Aug. 25-27th, we are going to try our first canoe trip. Alligators are a real issue here, so unless we are all in the same area swimming, I won't let him swim. I could take him to Dog Beach, but the area isn't fenced off from the highway. I'm sure he would be ok at a river crossing, unless it's running fast. I am not a strong swimmer, though, so I need to watch my footing (which is why I don't want to be attached to Ed, while trying to cross). I like your idea of waiting for a crossing buddy, or maybe we would look for a calmer place to cross.

FatMan
07-29-2006, 23:44
It depends on the breed. My Cooper is a Golden Retriever/ German Shephard mix and water is a playground for him. He navigates water better than me. Not long ago we forded the Chattooga at Earls Ford at high water where it was waist deep and fairly swift. Cooper was across in a minute. It took me ten and was quite a struggle. At one point he came back to me like he was wondering if I was going to make it.

My previous dog was a shetland sheepdog. He was not a fan of water at all. When I encountered high water with him I would first take my pack across and then return for him and carry him across. I always kept him on leash so if I slipped and fell I could keep him close by. He did not have the swimming ability to swim against a current. In calmer deep waters I would just let him float and I would pull him along.

frieden
03-26-2007, 20:55
I've started on a plan today, in case we'll be able to do a SOBO this year. Since Katahdin would be our starting point, it was my focus for planning today. It sounds really brutal. Has anyone taken a dog to the top, and back? Any suggestions? I don't expect a lot of responses from dog owners, because "pets" aren't allowed, but someone who has climbed it would know if paws would be damaged or not. I can take Ed, because he's a service dog. It is dangerous for me to go without him, but I can't afford for him to be hurt. I'd rather climb it alone, or find a group going up. From just my research today, I don't think I should take him up there.

Chomp09
04-01-2007, 20:22
I've started on a plan today, in case we'll be able to do a SOBO this year. Since Katahdin would be our starting point, it was my focus for planning today. It sounds really brutal. Has anyone taken a dog to the top, and back? Any suggestions? I don't expect a lot of responses from dog owners, because "pets" aren't allowed, but someone who has climbed it would know if paws would be damaged or not. I can take Ed, because he's a service dog. It is dangerous for me to go without him, but I can't afford for him to be hurt. I'd rather climb it alone, or find a group going up. From just my research today, I don't think I should take him up there.

Hi Frieden, not sure what trail you are intending to cliimb, but I would be hesitant to bring a dog , super agile or not, up Katahdin. I doubt that it would be too tough on his paws, but many of the trails have some good size boulders that may be difficult for a dog to traverse.

Good luck to you on your hike!

mudhead
04-01-2007, 20:45
I have dragged a Jack Russell up worse than the Hunt trail. Had to lift him, stuff him in my shirt, etc. You will have far more enjoyment finding a group to accompany. The Baxter types will make your life unpleasant despite the whole service issue.

Great hiking up there, but pain in the butt people. They have to be.

Go find a pool. I never knew mine could do more than splash while sinking until I dove into a pool in front of him. 9' deep. I spent more time in more cold CO water trying to teach that dog. I just wanted him to not drown. Put him on the side of the pool and he decided it was time to hunt lizards.

You seem like a responsible dog type. Bring something to remove porcupine quills. Pulling them out with your teeth is nasty and inefficient.

Granite is really tough on pads.

be well.

frieden
04-02-2007, 00:03
Thanks. Yeah, I think I'm going to try to find someone who will watch him, while I hike up Katahdin. That also means that I'll have to find someone to hike up with me. He's a great climber, and agile, but I would feel better not risking it.

Lumberjack
04-02-2007, 11:15
If you contact the rangers before hand and let them know your bringing a service dog they may be able to watch him at the station house. They also might be able to tell you if there are any locals that could watch the dog.

If your gonna climb with the dog be sure you can lift him overhead.

frieden
04-02-2007, 11:46
Thank you for the suggestions, Lumberjack. I'll call them, and ask. No, I definitely cannot lift him over my head!

Chomp09
04-02-2007, 17:52
Thanks. Yeah, I think I'm going to try to find someone who will watch him, while I hike up Katahdin. That also means that I'll have to find someone to hike up with me. He's a great climber, and agile, but I would feel better not risking it.

At the very least, there is a kennel in Millinocket. Not sure of the name of it off the top of my head, but I'm sure if you search some of the threads on here it will pop up...

Jester2000
04-02-2007, 18:20
Since Katahdin would be our starting point, it was my focus for planning today. It sounds really brutal. Has anyone taken a dog to the top, and back?

Frieden --
I was hiking the day that Mala's therapy dog, Tucker, went up K in 2003. Although he made it to the top, (with help) he did apparently spill in a way that hurt his hip and he's never really been the same since.

So I definitely don't recommend it.

Brrrb Oregon
04-02-2007, 18:57
Even big dogs can get into trouble crossing fast streams. It's just physics.

Veterinarians and animal safety groups put out literature on stuff like this:
http://www.spca.bc.ca/news/May2003_AnimalsNews.asp#Hiking

mudhead
04-02-2007, 19:06
You need to find a safe spot to stash him. Call park HQ, explain the situ, I bet they could help you find a fine spot.

I hope you are able and prepared to carry him out of the woods if need be.

Might consider a Delorme Gazeteer for better bailout planning.

E vet located in Brewer, Me. 24hr. All services nearby.