PDA

View Full Version : Companion/shuttle/hiking trip to Baxter & 100 Mile.

TJ aka Teej
07-29-2006, 17:19
Shuttled TeaTree (AT/PCT) and Chance (PCT) from Jeopardy and Java's place up to Katahdin on Weds. Great fun for the five hour ride, got there at 10 in plenty of time for them to head up to Baxter Peak. The Ranger at KSC weighed their packs (both 27ish), and called around and found them a spot to stay inside the Park that night. Did a Companion-y visit on the drive up at the Junction Store in Brownville where we stopped for breakfast. It's out from the KI road from where the AT crosses at Gulf Hagas, and the owners were keen to quiz TeaTree and Chance of the kinds of supplies LD hikers look for. The Junction hosts live music shows outdoors and had 17 ATers last weekend at the show. They'll have primitive campsites and shuttles into the 100 Mile to add to their listing in the '07 book. Met new Park Director Jensen Bissell, Jean Hoekwater and a few other Baxter personnel who were scoping out a new trail build at Stump Pond. Jensen's official Park vehicle is identical to mine, and when we met back in may we swapped stories about how they were running - his just swell, mine blew up after 800 miles. Jean had nice words to say about the job the Companion does regarding Baxter. Arranged a car swap and and hiked out of the Park from the Birches via the blue blazed Ledges trail. At Abol visited with Linda at her store (very little Companion as this was my 4th or 5th time in this season). Drove down to the JoMary Road, visited with the Gatekeeper (more Companion), visited JoMary Campground (more Companion), parked at the Cooper Brook crossing @ 6 and hiked into Antlers. Two MEGAs, Kevin and Hawk, had a big fire going so I tented way out on the point. Loons, owls, turtles, frogs, kingfishers, coyotes, bright star-shine. Next day hiked N to WhiteHouse Landing (more Companion) meeting southbound SouthAfricans SpindleShanks and SlowCoach, Mr. Blister and others. Two moose, two deer, two foxes, and two snowshoe hares.Very Noah. The tote road out to the lake was a 1/4 mile warm mud wade to start, but then was an OK mile of ripe raspberries. One Short Blast later I was loaded into the powerboat for the time-machine ride back to 1900. WHL is beyond description. We really tweaked their listing a lot, I got filled in on the tote road sitch, and on the boat ride back to the dock an adult Bald Eagle flapped slowly over our heads. Marvelous, Bill and Linda are the finest kind. Stayed that night at Potaywadjo Spring, GAMEr Riverside set up inside, but I tented - so it rained. Some Coyotes ran yipping past us after dark. Next morning hiked out S speaking for a bit with northbounders Mountain Squid, ToeJam, Splash, and Midlife Crisis, filled a quart ziplock with blueberries at Mud Pond. Wicked nice trip, some really wild weather, some very cool animals birds and plants, and some very very nice people.

Teej

StarLyte
07-29-2006, 18:24
Teej ! Gosh you did a lot of work. Can I join you next year on some of this? I'm serious.

TJ aka Teej
07-29-2006, 23:17
Company is always welcome, Marsha! The best part of being a Companion volunteer is visiting all the service provider in person, even if they're in the middle of the 100 mile wilderness!
P.S. From the above post: Mountain Squid is a WhiteBlaze member who should be finishing his section hike of the AT on Baxter Peak Sunday! ToeJam I think is a member too, Java is a long time WBer, and TeaTree is a new WBer who is starting a wander south. I wander where she'll end up? :D

MedicineMan
07-30-2006, 00:49
awesome report....i learned a lot just reading it....

emerald
08-02-2006, 00:01
I enjoyed reading your trip report. Thanks for helping to keep The Companion updated.:)