PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this Internal

Amigi'sLastStand
07-29-2006, 20:02
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39211326&memberId=12500226

I am an external user, who is thinking about going internal for the AT. Tell me what you think of this pack.

blackbishop351
07-29-2006, 20:10
Looks like a pretty decent design...plenty of pockets, straps, and compression....bigger than I'd want, but whatever fits your needs. I went with a ~5000 ci internal when I switched from external, too.

SGT Rock
07-30-2006, 03:59
Remember this is just my opinion...

Too heavy. It also has a capacity that is higher than you will need and you may end up over-packing with all that extra space. The suspension system consists of stays and a torso shield frame so it sounds like it is made for folks that want to carry monster loads while you could probably get by with a lot less load given your experience level in the outdoors. There is also a lot of extra bells and whistles like internal specialty pockets, removable pockets to make a fanny pack, extra pockets here and there, ice axe loops etc. I would end up taking a razor to the pack right after someone gave it to me (I wouldn't buy one) to get rid of the superfluous.

That said, mountainsmith is usually know for good packs.

I have heard good things about this pack from hikers:
http://www.backcountry.com/store/MOU0022/Mountainsmith-Ghost-Backpack-2800cu-in.html?mv_pc=r126&CP=Froogle&CMP=SPC-Froogle&ATT=MOU0022-ghostbackpack-2800cuin&GCID=C2000x025&keyword=MOU0022+ghost+backpack+2800cu+in

MedicineMan
07-30-2006, 04:04
too heavy and too big....for the same price you could choose from many other manufacturers

mrc237
07-30-2006, 07:11
Plenty of spots for ''safer'' gear

Amigi'sLastStand
07-30-2006, 08:20
Remember this is just my opinion...

Too heavy. It also has a capacity that is higher than you will need and you may end up over-packing with all that extra space. The suspension system consists of stays and a torso shield frame so it sounds like it is made for folks that want to carry monster loads while you could probably get by with a lot less load given your experience level in the outdoors. There is also a lot of extra bells and whistles like internal specialty pockets, removable pockets to make a fanny pack, extra pockets here and there, ice axe loops etc. I would end up taking a razor to the pack right after someone gave it to me (I wouldn't buy one) to get rid of the superfluous.

That said, mountainsmith is usually know for good packs.

I have heard good things about this pack from hikers:
http://www.backcountry.com/store/MOU0022/Mountainsmith-Ghost-Backpack-2800cu-in.html?mv_pc=r126&CP=Froogle&CMP=SPC-Froogle&ATT=MOU0022-ghostbackpack-2800cuin&GCID=C2000x025&keyword=MOU0022+ghost+backpack+2800cu+in

Cool. Thanks all.

Rock, I looked at that one at the same time. I just felt it was a little too small to fit my stuff. I carry the extra Nalgene for long dry periods, I prefer a larger sleeping bag, etc.... ( Welcome home, and have fun in the woods ).

How about this one, and does anyone have exp with it?

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47991267&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&color=SAGE/MAGNESIUM&img=/media/665059.jpg&view=large

SGT Rock
07-30-2006, 08:22
None personally, but it LOOKS like it would be a good pack. IF you have an REI near you I would suggest looking at it in person.

Peaks
07-30-2006, 08:30
Like all equipment, there is no consencous on what pack is best. The question is how does it fit you with your gear in it.

While Mountainsmith makes some fine packs, they are not comfortable for me.

I recommend that you try the pack on with your gear loaded into it first.

Kerosene
07-30-2006, 08:40
Here is a lengthy thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11816&highlight=UL45) on the REI UL-45. As best I can tell, the 60 is just larger than the 45. At 3.1 pounds for 3660 cubes it is reasonably lightweight, and the price is right at $130.

Two possible "knocks" against this pack design center around the ride and the stays. The ActivMotion suspension annoys some people who are used to internal packs moving with their back; this suspension allows the pack to move around a bit. Early versions of this pack had the aluminum stays inserted backwards and upside down, where they dug into the hiker's back! Easily fixed though.

I'd shoot to carry 30-35 pounds in this pack most of the time. If you can go lower, then consider the UL-45, although that doesn't have a whole lot of space for a cold-weather sleeping bag and shelter (I bought one for my daughter on sale as I am planning to carry the bulk of the gear).

Kerosene
07-30-2006, 08:41
Also, there are not REI co-ops in Florida. It looks like the closest ones are in and around Atlanta.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-30-2006, 08:45
Also, there are not REI co-ops in Florida. It looks like the closest ones are in and around Atlanta.

Yeah, I know. I dont like REI anyway, way too expensive. This pack has been on ebay before, so I'm sure I'll find it again. But your advice is what I have been looking for. TY.

I am trying to decide whether to thru the AT next year ( 4/1 ), or if things turn out differently, then I am gonna start the FNST in Nov this year. In the latter case, I'll stick with my external.