PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Trails sleeping bag

hikerjohnd
07-29-2006, 21:17
I have done a quick search and see that a few people here have and use a Marmot Trails bag and I have a few questions before I buy one. Is it roomy enough for a big guy? I toss and turn at night and like a roomy bag for that. Anyone have anything negative to say about them? I am looking for a light bag strictly for summer use - I will be hiking the AT in Georgia the first week in August, so I do not think I will really need my 45* bag and would enjoy the almost 1# weight savings the Marmot Trails bag would offer. Thanks!

peanuts
07-30-2006, 11:01
Have you looked at the Montbell UL Super Strechy bags????

hikerjohnd
07-30-2006, 11:05
Have you looked at the Montbell UL Super Strechy bags????

Nope - but I will now... Are they comparable in price?

general
07-30-2006, 11:09
mountain crossings at Neel Gap has a bag called a frog sack that is open on both ends with the foot closing by drawstring. it's light and nicely priced at about $100 (i think). great summer bag and roomy for a big person.

hikerjohnd
07-30-2006, 11:25
mountain crossings at Neel Gap has a bag called a frog sack that is open on both ends with the foot closing by drawstring. it's light and nicely priced at about $100 (i think). great summer bag and roomy for a big person.

Saw a pic of that on their web site - looks pretty interesting, but at almost 2 pounds (1.8 pounds) seems heavy for a summer bag... But I am headed there so I may take a closer look.

rswanson
08-02-2006, 16:52
I have done a quick search and see that a few people here have and use a Marmot Trails bag and I have a few questions before I buy one. Is it roomy enough for a big guy? I toss and turn at night and like a roomy bag for that. Anyone have anything negative to say about them? I am looking for a light bag strictly for summer use - I will be hiking the AT in Georgia the first week in August, so I do not think I will really need my 45* bag and would enjoy the almost 1# weight savings the Marmot Trails bag would offer. Thanks!
Check the weather around the time your planning to hike. If it looks like it's going to be warm enough (50 degrees+), you might be able to get away with a fleece sleeping bag. Plenty light, plenty compact, plenty cheap.

hikerjohnd
08-02-2006, 17:17
Check the weather around the time your planning to hike. If it looks like it's going to be warm enough (50 degrees+), you might be able to get away with a fleece sleeping bag. Plenty light, plenty compact, plenty cheap.
I am headed out about two weeks from today - Georgia AT. I have a 45* bag, but at almost 2 pounds, I figure with the heat I could go lighter with this bag. I ordered one and it should be here Friday. Hope it is all I need!