PDA

View Full Version : How to make a cozy for freezer bag cooking in a few easy steps.

jimtanker
07-29-2006, 22:31
After a little outing with me, Keith (AKA blackbishop351), wanted to try some freezer bag cooking and wanted to make a cozy like I have for heating and eating out of.

Here is his story:
Step 1: Gather materials; CCF pad from wallyworld, multi-purpose tape, knife.(not rocket science even though he is a rocket scientist)
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/jimtanker/Picture001.jpg

Step 2: Mark pattern on the CCF.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/jimtanker/Picture002.jpg

Step 3: Start your fold. Small flaps keep the bottom wide and provide more insulation.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/jimtanker/Picture006.jpg

Step 4: Apply tape liberally.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/jimtanker/Picture011.jpg

Step 5: Insert bag, food, hot water. (note: sides of cozy are overlapped for more insulation for the seam.)
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/jimtanker/Picture013.jpg

Step 6: Put on lid and let sit.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/jimtanker/Picture016.jpg

Step 7: Enjoy your delicious meal out of a nice insulated holder!
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i282/jimtanker/Picture007.jpg

For more on how to cook your meals using this setup go to: Freezer bag cooking (http://www.freewebs.com/freezerbagcooking/)

StarLyte
07-29-2006, 22:48
Pretty clever - thanks.

Hey-you're good photographer.

blackbishop351
07-29-2006, 22:49
Thank you, thank you....I do try :D

Michele
07-30-2006, 00:00
Hey Jim..thanks for the great pics! One question...what does "CCF" stand for? Thanks!

blackbishop351
07-30-2006, 00:04
CCF is "closed cell foam"...you can find the pad I used to make this at any walmart....get the thin one (about 3/8" thick I think) for about $5. It's a full-length sleeping pad, good for lots of cozies, or a half-pad and a few cozies, or making your own hip belt, or.....the list goes on :D

sarbar
07-30-2006, 02:28
You guys were busy :clap
Nice pictorials!

Smacky70
07-30-2006, 05:01
I recently also made myself a cozy out of closed cell foam. I should post some pictures. My design is similar to this one except I used seam grip instead of tape for the joins, so the end result is that mine looks a heck of alot sturdier (but still as light).

jimtanker
07-30-2006, 08:51
Sarbar - I thank you the most for brining freezer bag cooking into my life. My cooking guru.

white rabbit
07-30-2006, 10:13
Efficient, lightweight, easy and cheap. My kind of project!

blackbishop351
07-30-2006, 11:55
I just realized this is pretty much a carbon copy of HOI's cozy....not intentional, I assure you. Looks like he did a nicer, neater job anyway :p

And for you ounce weenies, I don't have an exact weight yet, sorry. But my Primus stove weighs in at a bit over 3 oz., and this thing is definitely lighter. Even WITH the yards of duct tape :D

vaporjourney
07-31-2006, 13:27
Does CCF work better than fleece? Fleece takes up a hell of a lot less space since you can stash it in your pot.

blackbishop351
07-31-2006, 13:31
I would think fleece wouldn't insulate nearly as well. Most of the cozies I've seen have been CCF or sunshade material (mylar fabric of some sort).

I'm working on revising my design to fit inside my pot - I use a 1 L. I've also noticed an added benefit, though....the way mine's built, I can fit a 20 oz. bottle in it, with only the very top poking out. I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like I could use this to keep a watter bottle nice and cool during the summer...just a thought.

Mother Nature
07-31-2006, 14:30
I have used a cozy from Anti Gravity Gear until I wore it out. This was made from Double-Bubble Foil usually used as hot water heater insulation.

I then made a new cozy out of 300 weight fleece from an old jacket. It seems to work just as well as the foil cozy and I can wash it.. it takes up less pack space and in a pinch I have used it as a pillow cover.

Mother Nature

blackbishop351
07-31-2006, 15:33
I've looked at the AGG foil cozies too. The CCF design has one thing the foil doesnt, though - I sized the top of the foam so it holds the bag open at the top. This makes eating and water pouring much easier.

Of course, it's my cozy so I'm biased :D

On the other side of the issue, my cozy definitely doesn't pack that small. But it's not THAT big, and it IS 'squishable'. One thing I'm definitely going to try is making one that'll stand upright on its own. Mine doesn't do that, but HOI has a very similar design (that I didn't know about 'till after I made mine) that does.

Hammerhead
07-31-2006, 15:45
my wife's gonna kill me for using the kitchen to make more "backpacking crap!" seriously, thanks guys!

sarbar
07-31-2006, 16:12
I've looked at the AGG foil cozies too. The CCF design has one thing the foil doesnt, though - I sized the top of the foam so it holds the bag open at the top. This makes eating and water pouring much easier.

Of course, it's my cozy so I'm biased :D

On the other side of the issue, my cozy definitely doesn't pack that small. But it's not THAT big, and it IS 'squishable'. One thing I'm definitely going to try is making one that'll stand upright on its own. Mine doesn't do that, but HOI has a very similar design (that I didn't know about 'till after I made mine) that does.
Btw all you gearheads..if want, I'd be way more than happy to post photos and directions on my site! (That is if ya want to give away your secrets of CCF..lol!) You can always drop me a write up with 600x800 photos, and I'd put them up!
Sarah

blackbishop351
07-31-2006, 16:42
Sarah - I'm still in the 'playing around' phase with mine (not what I'd call 'polished' by any means), but feel free to copy the original post and photos if you want! It's kinda flattering, actually :D

I'll be sure to repost when I come up with improvements!

sarbar
07-31-2006, 17:56
Sarah - I'm still in the 'playing around' phase with mine (not what I'd call 'polished' by any means), but feel free to copy the original post and photos if you want! It's kinda flattering, actually :D

I'll be sure to repost when I come up with improvements!
I am a gear head/gear whore..I love making stuff-and more than that, I love showing to others that we can be cheap, frugal, light and have more fun :D

blackbishop351
07-31-2006, 18:00
Gear whore?? I'm not even gonna touch that....:D

Skidsteer
07-31-2006, 18:32
Does CCF work better than fleece? Fleece takes up a hell of a lot less space since you can stash it in your pot.

I made mine so that the entire kitchen(stove, pot, stand, fuel, windscreen, etc.)nests inside. It serves double duty as a carrying case.

jimtanker
07-31-2006, 18:55
Well, since his cozy is a copy of mine, I guess I'll chime in. I put alot of stuff in my cozy when Im hiking. Alot of times I'll put my next meal in it and my spoon and spices and, and, and.......

Sarbar - what do you need me to do for you to post it on your page? You want it just like it is or more/less?

sarbar
07-31-2006, 20:03
Well, since his cozy is a copy of mine, I guess I'll chime in. I put alot of stuff in my cozy when Im hiking. Alot of times I'll put my next meal in it and my spoon and spices and, and, and.......

Sarbar - what do you need me to do for you to post it on your page? You want it just like it is or more/less?
If you could send me the basic instructions on how-to DIY with photos (maybe a couple photos where the writing is captions (a short paragraph) with each photo. Then it'd be easy for people to see how to DIY :)
If you have time, you could email it to me ( ssvien @ yahoo . com ) And I'll get it up! (You can send all the photos in one email, would help though if around 800x600)
You guys are great!
Sarah

Tinker
07-31-2006, 20:19
I made a simple envelope styled one from ccf, without a lid. I cut the foam twice as long as I wanted the height to be, folded it in half, and duct taped the sides together. It doubles as a small sit pad and also functions as a makeshift lumbar pad in my frameless packs.

This design is much nicer. Thanks.

blackbishop351
07-31-2006, 20:21
Sarah - I'll send you the pix and instructions...Jim kinda simplified things a bit more than I would've, probably for sake of posting.

jimtanker
07-31-2006, 20:57
And now for Kieth's Doctoral thesis on how to make a cozy!

:banana :banana :banana

blackbishop351
07-31-2006, 20:59
Hey....you think that might WORK???? :D Save me a couple of years of school...not to mention the $$ lol

Cuffs
10-10-2006, 19:56
On our Approach trip this weekend, I was introduced to freezer bag cooking. I must say, I was impressed!

Since I have been home, I have been busy making cozies out of different materials. (CCF and bubble/foil insulation)

I like the bubble/foil for its compactability. The warmth from boiling water comes thru only slightly, but doesnt get so warm that you cant hold it to eat.

The CCF is a bit bulkier but weight is the same as the bubble/foil. No/minimal heat transfer.

Has anyone else tested both methods? Which is more efficient? Lasts longer? (Im sure the CCF will out last anything...)

Other thoughts? Input?

Skidsteer
10-10-2006, 20:33
I have both, AlHikerGal.

You saw which one I carried this weekend.;)

In terms of effeciency, I think that the bubble/foil/reflectix type cozys and the 1/4" CCF that I use are pretty close in comparison. My opinion is that the CCF is a bit more durable, however.

HOI uses the 1/2" CCF in a sort of envelope shape to hold the freezer-bag. It took him a bit longer to finish eating Sat. night because his dinner was hotter than ours.

Both( CCF and bubble/foil ) work well. It's mostly a matter of personal preference. and/or availability of materials.

sarbar
10-10-2006, 20:38
And to show what a gear whore I am, I recently blundered into some fabric that is mylar lined. I am making fabric cozies now :D Think like mylar, but soft, flexible and they are machine washable.....woo-hoo. And it works extremly well for heat retention.

Ok, I know not too many people get excited over making cozies..lol!

sarbar
10-10-2006, 20:43
I should add that my AGG Reflectix cozy is still going strong after a year of use (and that includes me using it as a butt pad often on pointy rocks).

Skidsteer
10-10-2006, 20:48
And to show what a gear whore I am, I recently blundered into some fabric that is mylar lined. I am making fabric cozies now :D Think like mylar, but soft, flexible and they are machine washable.....woo-hoo. And it works extremly well for heat retention.

Ok, I know not too many people get excited over making cozies..lol!

Link please?

I've got round heels when it comes to gear. :D

sarbar
10-10-2006, 21:23
Link please?

I've got round heels when it comes to gear. :D
I am working on the prototypes thsi week :D The first one was in a smashing purple paisley fabric..lol! I should have my final design done in a week or so, and you know I'll have photos up!

Cuffs
10-12-2006, 11:03
I made mine so that the entire kitchen(stove, pot, stand, fuel, windscreen, etc.)nests inside. It serves double duty as a carrying case.

I saw that "thing" you use for a cozy Skids... what is that anyway?

Cuffs
10-12-2006, 11:06
Heres the big question...

What does everybody's cozies weigh?

My CCF cozy comes in at 2.1oz. (I think I have too much duct tape!)

My bubble/foil cozy (with an extra piece inserted for extra insulation) comes in at 1.2oz.

I figure for a first time cozy maker, thats not too bad! Yea me!

Skidsteer
10-12-2006, 13:37
I saw that "thing" you use for a cozy Skids... what is that anyway?

A Sunny Delite bottle with 1/4" CCF fitted inside.

Cozy, pot, stove, stand, windscreen, etc. weigh 7.15 oz. About twice the weight of HOI's set-up!

The cozy(which can also be used as a bowl,cup, water dipper, etc.) by itself weighs 1.8 oz.

RadioFreq
10-13-2006, 11:28
Trying to see the step-by-step of making the cozy but PhotoBucket keeps telling me they can't be found? :confused: Any suggestions?

blackbishop351
10-13-2006, 11:37
Trying to see the step-by-step of making the cozy but PhotoBucket keeps telling me they can't be found? :confused: Any suggestions?

http://360.yahoo.com/pulse_0ptional

Look in the folder titled "DIY"