PDA

View Full Version : Internet Access along trail?

jphiker
03-27-2003, 11:09
I could have sworn I saw a list somewhere of places along the trail that had web access - anyone know of such a list???

Don
03-27-2003, 12:06
Check out this link:

http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/access.html

chris
03-27-2003, 12:09
The outfitters in Hot Springs has free access for hikers. The library (?) in Damascus has internet access as well. I don't recall anything at Neels Gap, NOC, Fontana, or Erwin. But, I didn't spend much time in any of these places.

PushingDaisies
03-27-2003, 15:30
Erwin has internet access at the library and at Miss Janet's.

Jumpstart
03-27-2003, 17:06
There is free internet access in virtually every trail town that has a library. Lots of outfitters also provide the service. You will have online access as much as you need it, for the most part.

trailangelmary
07-09-2003, 22:00
Doyle Hotel in Duncannon, PA now has a computer in the bar which can be used for a minimal fee. I have even used it when my own computer crashed till I got it fixed.

tlbj6142
07-10-2003, 10:09
If all you need is to send/receive email you can buy one of those PocketMail (http://www.pocketmail.com/us/products/devices) devices. Allows you to send/receive email at any phone.

Skeemer (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=869) uses one to send email to his wife who then updates his journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=869).

You can even send him email. I sent him one a couple of days ago asking about what books/guides he is using. Got a reply the next day.

The PocketMail device weights 8oz, I think.

trailangelmary
07-10-2003, 10:39
What is the price range on PocketMail?

tlbj6142
07-10-2003, 10:42
Click on the above PocketMail link. The pricing is on their site.

trailangelmary
07-10-2003, 11:49
Thanks tlbj6142 for your response. I'm relatively new at this and I don't see the links all the time when they are staring me in the face!! Maybe I got in in my head now!!

Turtle
08-19-2003, 10:43
Being a professional librarian (and ex biker bar bouncer) I advise that you look for libraries. Some may have restrictive rules, but most welcome the public and will let you email home or check your email. Just be aware of any time limits so that others (whose taxes are paying for the library) can use the computer.

Also while you are there look for cheap paperbacks that they are selling. Such pbs are often so old and fragile, they are not worth keeping but still have a good read in them. Just burn the pages as you read.

Now colleges are NOT public; even state supported colleges. Usually they are restricted to students, faculty, and staff. But if you are polite and explain your situation, a friendly librarian or student may let you email home. Just don't do any Net surfing.

Finally, Kinko's and some other similar places may have a for-pay connection. Then there are those internet bars and cafes.

Kerosene
08-20-2003, 10:45
I bet the visitors to your library keep their voices down, Turtle!

jbwood5
05-22-2004, 20:54
Just a side note:
I had intended to use the library in Salsbury, CT but they were closed on Monday when I arrived. The other alternative was the Internet Cafe at a cost of $3 for 15 minutes.

I used the library in Harpers Ferry in 2003.

The Ramada Inn at Delaware Water Gap has an Internet access vending machine for $1.00 for 12 minutes which I did not think was too bad. I spent 4 of the 12 minutes just trying to figure out how to use the thing. :confused: After that, it was smooth surfing.:D

trailangelmary
06-08-2004, 19:29
In Duncannon, PA internet access is available at the Doyle Hotel, the Otterbein church and at trailangelmary's.

MedicineMan
06-08-2004, 22:07
what's wrong with satellite phones!?!

Flash Hand
08-21-2004, 05:57
I became extreme frustrated when paying $$ for using the internet kiosk at NOC and don't get what I wanted. I can't get to many website, even AOL because of their STRINGEST firewall policy. I even begged to use their business computer, they refused. In return for their bad business, I decided not to buy anything from NOC. Powderfinger, another thru hiker tried to use this internet kiosk to register for her classes, as what I was told by another thru hiker, and she cannot be able to get in the website, instead she was forced to use phone.

SO, DON'T bother to use NOC's internet kiosk. They are full of crap. I forced myself to hitchhike to Bryson City for just this damn internet. Even, next year, for thru hike attempt, I will still REFUSE to buy their stuff. I will buy equipment at Eagle Outfitter in Franklin before going up to NOC.

Flash Hand :jump

Magic City
09-03-2004, 17:59
My wife and I have just opened an Internet cafe in Millinocket, Maine - at the northern end of the AT. Our server is connected directly to the T-1, so speed should never be a problem. We have a half dozen computers here that can be put to use, plus our signal provides a hotspot for about a half block radius of our building. There is no charge for anyone who has their own notebook and wireless adapter, and just wants to use our signal. Of course, I don't expect too many of you to be carrying your computers with you.

The Millinocket Library also has two computers with Internet access but library hours are restrictive.

We're new at this, but we're open to any suggestions as to ways that we can be more hiker friendly, while still paying our bills, of course.