PDA

View Full Version : What GPS Do You Own?

headchange4u
07-30-2006, 16:46
I am getting ready to buy a GPS unit mainly for geocaching, but I would like to use it while hiking. I have been looking at the Garmin Vista cx and the Garmin 60csx.

I had started looking at the 60cx but the lack of an altimeter or compass turned me away from this model. I like the 60csx but it has a couple of downfalls. Number 1 is battery life, which is listed at 20 hours, whereas the 60cx has a 30 hour battery life and the Vista has 32 (info gotten from REI). The size and weight of the 60csx(7.5 oz). as compared to the Vista(5.6 oz.) is another factor.

The only thing that is keeping me from buying the Vista Cx is all the talk I have heard about how well the 60csx antenna works. The lack of an extranal antenna jack also bothers me. I have heard stories that the Vista does not pick up very well in heavy tree cover.

There is a pretty big difference in price also. I can buy the 60csx for 406.99 (list price is $499) with a $50 rebate. I can get the Vista for about $284 and I think it has a rebate also.

I am mainly looking at what other people are using and trying to decide what would best for me.

blackbishop351
07-30-2006, 16:49
Wow...$300-$400?? Your budget must be a LOT more forgiving than mine! lol

I've been thinking about a GPS too, but I really only need something that'll give me long and lat readouts every so often. And I really don't want to spend any more than about $150.

Anybody got any 'lower end' recommendations?

TJ aka Teej
07-30-2006, 16:51

Map. Compass.

jimtanker
07-30-2006, 16:52
I have an Etrex Vista. It really is over kill. You can geocache with any old GPS. My wife got this one for me for a birthday.

blackbishop351
07-30-2006, 16:55
Map. Compass.

Umm...well I don't claim to be a genius with map/compass navigation, but I'm not too bad at it either....when the map isn't right, you've got problems. Having accurate longs/lats available would've saved me some serious hiking a few times.

Cuffs
07-30-2006, 16:57
As a "casual cacher" I got the 76CS last summer. I love it! Electronic compass and Altimeter are great for things other than caching... say.... hiking...?

My caching buddy just got the 60CSX model. I will say, that as soon as I can afford it, Im upgrading!!

The 2 main differences I noticed are that a satellite signal is acquired soooo much more quickly on and X model than others and even under heavy tree cover, the X model doesnt loose its signal (my 76CS looses signal in medium tree cover)

So, unless you plan on doing only city/urban caching, I suggest any of the X models.

OH, I will also add, check the memory capacity between the 60 and 76. Thats the reason I went w/ the 76 in the first place. I didnt check, but I believe that most of the Garmin's now have either larger memory or a card slot now... The 60 and 76 have the same screen size (even tho it may not look like it)

FLHiker
07-30-2006, 18:01
I have the GPSmap 76CS - and love it. When backpacking, I have it attached to my right shoulder strap with velcro (with the lanyard attached too for security.) I use it for many different applications - from street navigation, to fishing, to deer hunting, to duck hunting (navigating a boat at 3:00 am to the blind through marshes), to trail hiking (sometimes its nice to know how far ya got to go.) I think the important things are:
1. A magnetic compass is a must. w/o it off trail navagation to a fixed point is difficult at best and impossible in tree cover (where signal aquisition is not immeadiate but every few seconds.
2. Must be WAAS enabled, this will not only aid in accuracy - but also helps aquisition in the trees.
3. New - - The new GPS's are so much better at aquisition (15 secods warm, and 45 seconds cold (warm meaning the last time you turned it on you were within like 100 miles of your present location.) They also do such a better job in trees, etc. With mine, I get perfect satellite reception inside my house!!!.
4. Waterproof is important - then you don't have to worry about it.

GPS's certainly aren't needed on the AT - but on other hiking adventures they are nice and could be a life saver.

Frosty
07-30-2006, 18:13
I am getting ready to buy a GPS unit mainly for geocaching, but I would like to use it while hiking. I have been looking at the Garmin Vista cx and the Garmin 60csx.

I had started looking at the 60cx but the lack of an altimeter or compass turned me away from this model. I like the 60csx but it has a couple of downfalls. Number 1 is battery life, which is listed at 20 hours, whereas the 60cx has a 30 hour battery life and the Vista has 32 (info gotten from REI). The size and weight of the 60csx(7.5 oz). as compared to the Vista(5.6 oz.) is another factor.

The only thing that is keeping me from buying the Vista Cx is all the talk I have heard about how well the 60csx antenna works. The lack of an extranal antenna jack also bothers me. I have heard stories that the Vista does not pick up very well in heavy tree cover.

There is a pretty big difference in price also. I can buy the 60csx for 406.99 (list price is $499) with a $50 rebate. I can get the Vista for about $284 and I think it has a rebate also.

I am mainly looking at what other people are using and trying to decide what would best for me.I think you made a mistake about the 60cs. It has both compass and altimeter.

I have an external antenna but almost never use it. Battery life in extraordinary compared to my ETrex Summit. Even when the indicator indicates low battery, it still runs for hours. It seems to use more juice when searching for a signal a lot, but that could be my imagination.

I used hte ETrex summit for geocaching. The 60cs is far superior. Yes you can use "any old GPS" to geocache, just as you can use any old stove to backpack. But replacing your old Peak One Multifuel with a sub-one pound stove is an improvement. Ditto getting a better GPS.

The 60CSX has interchangeable cards which let you change maps without a computer. I thought that would be an advantage, but it turns out the cards cost a lot more than buying a set of Garmin us topos on CD.

60CS has 52M of memory. I have no idea what that means in relation to other GPSs. What I do know is that I can load topo maps of all of New England and most of NY (oncluding AKFs, Finger Lakes and Catskills into it at one time. This is my base configuratiion, and the only time I have to change maps is if I go somewhere else, and then I switch map sets. You can save map sets so going back to my base configuration is very easy.

I once loaded topos covering the entire AT into it. It stretched the memory to the max, and it took a while to select only those topos actually covering part of the AT (easier with mouse to drag-select rectangular areas). Then I forgot to save the mapset.

I've had the 60CS for a couple years at least now and am pleased with it. I don't see another GPS on the market that I would rather have at this time.

It is my third GPS. An early Magellan, an ETrex Summit (great for hiking if you want to sarifice onboard maps for lower price) and the 60CS. All three do/did okay in tree cover, but not in broadleaf forests when teh tress were wet. All had problems sometimes on steep slopes (presemably shielding some satellites.

When I Geocache with my wife, I gave her the Etrx Summit and I always beat her to the cache. Then she realized how much better teh 60cs is (more granularity as we used to say in the data analysis business, more accurate is what she said). Anyway, when we go out together now, she carries the 60cs. I'd like to say I still beat her but such is not the case :D

Hope this helps.

headchange4u
07-30-2006, 18:33
I will never replace my map and compass with strictly GPS usage. I want a GPS to supplement and enhance the hiking experience. I don't think I would carry a GPS on a really long distance hike, but I would take it camping and for shorter hikes. I have just discovered geocaching and it sounds like a fun activity. Better than sitting on the couch and watching TV.

blackbishop351,

I recently sold a piece of electronics gear and I have some extra cash in my PayPal account. I could never afford something like this normally. I have been wanting a GPS unit for years and keep putting it off but since reading up on the capabilities on current generation GPS handhelds and my recent discovery of geocaching I decided to take the plunge.

I tend to do a lot of research before I buy something as expensive as this. I believe in trying to get the best piece of equipment that I can afford, even if it stretches me a little short, in order to avoid maybe having to upgrade later and spend more money. I just happen to have the money to buy this!

ALHikerGal,

I think the "x" in the model numbers actually refer to the units ability to use SD memory cards. Memory limitations for handheld GPS units is one thing that has kept me from buying one up until now. Does your use a memory card or have internal memory?

The SiRF chip and the quad helix antenna is why I keep looking at the more expensive 60csx. It is supposed to be far superior to the internal antenna the the Vista has. You can also add an external antenna to the 60csx. I have heard the Vista get inaccurate or completely lose signal in heavy tree cover while the 60csx will keep signal.

BTW the Groundspeak forums are a great resource on GPS related matters. I wanted to see what people who hike a lot use.

headchange4u
07-30-2006, 18:42
The 60cx does not have the altimeter or compass but the 60csx does. Sorry about the confusion. To many model numbers going through my head.

FLHiker
07-30-2006, 18:47
my 76CS does not accept cards (partly I'm seure because of the waterproof thing) - but it can store enough mapping data for any need. I put all of FL, GA, & SC street mapsets in it and it has no problem. The entire national park mapset will fit in it as well.

Shutterbug
07-30-2006, 18:47
I am mainly looking at what other people are using and trying to decide what would best for me.

I own several, mostly Garmin. I use them primarily when I am driving. The one I use most is the combination palm/gps. I take it with me when I travel to use in the rental car for route guidance, etc. It comes in very handy, but the battery life isn't sufficient to use it hiking.

When I hike, I usually carry a Garmin etrex Vista C. I use it from time to time for the fun of it, but have never been in a circumstance where I needed it to get home. Like any other GPS, it must have a clear shot at the satellites to get a fix. I carried it on my hike of the 100 Mile Wilderness last year and went hours without getting a fix because of the tree cover. I doubt that any other gps would have done better.

My advice is to buy the best that your budget will permit. A gps is a gadget. When buying a gadget, buy the best.

Ridge
07-30-2006, 19:41
The new Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx(s) has an external antenna and does much, much better than most units out there. I also use a Garmin Vista C , the mod 60 picks up signals 100% better. The only down side is the battery life, my vista c has great battery life, just not near the reception under cover.

Cuffs
07-30-2006, 20:11
I used this site when determining which unit to buy. I too get confused when having to compare model after model... This gives side by side comparison (Garmins only)...

http://http://gpsnow.com/gmmap76csx.htm#table (http://http//gpsnow.com/gmmap76csx.htm#table)

I also happened to buy from them... at the time they had the best price on the particular one I got...

Cuffs
07-30-2006, 20:13
OK, why that link isnt working, I dont know... but go to gpsnow.com and after you click on any model, there will be a link for "comparison chart"

Frosty
07-30-2006, 23:03
The 60cx does not have the altimeter or compass but the 60csx does. Sorry about the confusion. To many model numbers going through my head.Sorry, my fault. I thought you were referring to the 60cs, which I have and which does hve the altimeter and compass.

Not only too many model numbers, as you say, but too confusing.
60, 60C, 60CS, 60CX, 60CSX

Footslogger
07-30-2006, 23:13
==============================
Take a look at the Geko 201 from Garmin. Prices vary but you can get it for a little over $100 at the following link:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Garmin-Geko-201-handheld-GPS.asp

It's not the most sophisitcated GPS on the market but if you're looking primarily for something to use as a compliment to map/compass it might be just what you need. Nice thing is that it operates on AAA batteries and is waterproof.

'Slogger

BigToe
07-30-2006, 23:18
I have the Etrex Summit that I use for geocaching, non-AT hiking, and general fun. It has an altimeter and compass also. Pretty simple but I wasn't looking for mapping, just a breadcrumb trail.

Ridge
07-30-2006, 23:33
I have the Etrex Summit that I use for geocaching, non-AT hiking, and general fun. It has an altimeter and compass also. Pretty simple but I wasn't looking for mapping, just a breadcrumb trail.

then get the Yellow Etrex for under a 100 bucks.

FLHiker
07-31-2006, 08:47
Sorry, my fault. I thought you were referring to the 60cs, which I have and which does hve the altimeter and compass.

Not only too many model numbers, as you say, but too confusing.
60, 60C, 60CS, 60CX, 60CSX

Garminese:

C= Color Screen
S= Seonsors (electronic compass & altimeter
x= Expandable memory

60 = 64 mb
76 = 128 mb

Frosty
07-31-2006, 08:50
Garminese:

C= Color Screen
S= Seonsors (electronic compass & altimeter
x= Expandable memory

60 = 64 mb
76 = 128 mbWell, that is pretty cool. Thanks!

Footslogger
07-31-2006, 09:02
then get the Yellow Etrex for under a 100 bucks.
=========================================
I have a new Etrex (yellow) GPS used once that I'll sell if you're interested. Got it and then found out that the Geko used AAA batteries and would meet all my needs.

Nothing wrong with it but it's sitting on a shelf drawing dust.

'Slogger

Sly
07-31-2006, 10:50
=========================================
I have a new Etrex (yellow) GPS used once that I'll sell if you're interested. Got it and then found out that the Geko used AAA batteries and would meet all my needs.

Nothing wrong with it but it's sitting on a shelf drawing dust.

My partner had the yellow Etrex on the CDT which got us out of a few jams when we got misdirected. Instead of retracing our steps and hiking back to the last known point, he'd figure our whereabouts, enter a waypoint of the trail lifted off the map with a "waypointer", hit goto and we'd set of crossing country.

I imagine the Geco would work the same way.

Since then I bought the Legend C which will allow me to enter most of the 1:100,000 maps for the CDT using Garmins USTopo and many of the known waypoints. I'm thinking used (when need be) in conjunction with Jonathan Ley's maps and the CDTS guidebooks navigating that trail should be all that much easier.

headchange4u
07-31-2006, 11:37
I went ahead and bit the bullet this morning and bought the Garmin 60csx. I got it from J&R Music World for 395.41 including shipping. They price matched Amazon. I still get the $50 rebate from Garmin so it will end up costing me about $350 total. Not bad for a unit that has a list price of $499 from Garmin.

I opted for the 60csx mainly because of the improved reception. I couldn't see buying a GPS that I will use for hiking if it didn't pick up well in the woods. I spent all weekend reading reviews and people couldn't stop talking about the 60csx's ablitiy to pick up a signal where others got nothing.

Another thing the made me buy the 60csx was it's ability to use while driving. It has autorouting capabilities as well as turn by turn directions. It seems that this is one of the more vesitile units out there at the moment.

You can read some reviews here (http://gpsinformation.us/gps60c/g60review.html), here (http://patrick-roeder.de/reviews/garmin_gpsmap_60CSx.htm), and here (http://gpsinformation.org/penrod/g60csx/60csx.html) if you would like info on this unit.

Thanks for all the help!

Nightwalker
07-31-2006, 12:09
This is a trick question, right?

Okay, here goes. Magellan Meridian Platinum. Garmin GPS 12. 2 Garmin GPS 16s. DeLorme Blue Logger with active antenna. Global Sat BT338 SiRF Star III. I'm pretty sure that's all.

The Magellan is easiest to use, especially with MapSend Topo installed. The BT338 or Blue Logger is the most sensitive, but you have to have a PDA to use them real-time in the woods. The Blue Logger is my mapmaking GPS, as it will internally record 55,000 data points between downloading to a computer. The GPS 16s can be the most accurate of any, if you're willing to work hard. They put out raw data and can be used in a static/rover config.

Nightwalker
07-31-2006, 12:11
I went ahead and bit the bullet this morning and bought the Garmin 60csx. I got it from J&R Music World for 395.41 including shipping. They price matched Amazon. I still get the $50 rebate from Garmin so it will end up costing me about $350 total. Not bad for a unit that has a list price of $499 from Garmin.
There had been rumours that Garmin was going to use the SiRF Star III chip in a handheld. I'm guessing that's happened now. The SiRF Star III is so sensitive that it will pick up a lock in a basement!

FLHiker
07-31-2006, 12:16

I opted for the 60csx mainly because of the improved reception. I couldn't see buying a GPS that I will use for hiking if it didn't pick up well in the woods. I spent all weekend reading reviews and people couldn't stop talking about the 60csx's ablitiy to pick up a signal where others got nothing.

Another thing the made me buy the 60csx was it's ability to use while driving. It has autorouting capabilities as well as turn by turn directions. It seems that this is one of the more vesitile units out there at the moment.

You can read some reviews here (http://gpsinformation.us/gps60c/g60review.html), here (http://patrick-roeder.de/reviews/garmin_gpsmap_60CSx.htm), and here (http://gpsinformation.org/penrod/g60csx/60csx.html) if you would like info on this unit.

Thanks for all the help!

You won't be dissapointed! -- enjoy!!

attroll
07-31-2006, 12:18
I have a lot of friends that geocache and some of them use to own the 60CX and ended up selling it to get the 60SCX because it has a lot better antenna and receives the satellites a lot better then the 60CX. I am a member of the Geocaching Maine (http://geocachingmaine.org) web site forums and that has been a topic that was discussed in the past. Right now I have a Garmin Legend and if I ever upgrade it will be to the 60CSX.

FLHiker
07-31-2006, 12:25
I have a lot of friends that geocache and some of them use to own the 60CX and ended up selling it to get the 60SCX because it has a lot better antenna and receives the satellites a lot better then the 60CX. I am a member of the Geocaching Maine (http://geocachingmaine.org) web site forums and that has been a topic that was discussed in the past. Right now I have a Garmin Legend and if I ever upgrade it will be to the 60CSX.

There is no difference in the antennas from a 60CX to a 60 CSX - it only adds the electronic compass and altimeter (S= Sensor, C= Color Screen, and X= expandable memory) - maybe nightwalker is on to something with the chips being used on the new units. I think (careless speculation) that any new 60 or 76 model (C, CS, or CSX) will have vastly improved satellite reception. As I said before, I get great signal in the middle of my house with my 76 CS.

Later.

attroll
07-31-2006, 12:32
There is no difference in the antennas from a 60CX to a 60 CSX - it only adds the electronic compass and altimeter (S= Sensor, C= Color Screen, and X= expandable memory) - maybe nightwalker is on to something with the chips being used on the new units. I think (careless speculation) that any new 60 or 76 model (C, CS, or CSX) will have vastly improved satellite reception. As I said before, I get great signal in the middle of my house with my 76 CS.

Later.
I think your right. I have the 76CSX series and the 60CSX series mixed up because one has a quad helix antenna and one does not.

buckhead
07-31-2006, 12:50
Congrats on the new 60csx. You will love it!

I have the 60cs.

headchange4u
07-31-2006, 12:59
This is a trick question, right?

Okay, here goes. Magellan Meridian Platinum. Garmin GPS 12. 2 Garmin GPS 16s. DeLorme Blue Logger with active antenna. Global Sat BT338 SiRF Star III. I'm pretty sure that's all.

The Magellan is easiest to use, especially with MapSend Topo installed. The BT338 or Blue Logger is the most sensitive, but you have to have a PDA to use them real-time in the woods. The Blue Logger is my mapmaking GPS, as it will internally record 55,000 data points between downloading to a computer. The GPS 16s can be the most accurate of any, if you're willing to work hard. They put out raw data and can be used in a static/rover config.

Dang! That's a lot of GPS you got there! You must get lost often;).

FLHiker
07-31-2006, 13:02
HERE'S THE ANSWER - THIS PRESS RELEASE IS FROM GARMIN'S WEBSITE. THEY HAVE OBVIOUSLY CHANGED THE CHIP IN THE GPS RECEIVER IN THE NEW NEW NEW (06) MODELS. I ALSO REMEMBER NOW WHY I BOUGHT THE 76 INSTEAD OF 60 - BECAUSE IT FLOATS!!!

Jeff

LAS VEGAS, Nev./January 3, 2006/PR Newswire — Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), today announced that it is refreshing its most popular handheld navigation devices by adding removable microSD memory in a waterproof and ruggedized housing. The new x-series devices were introduced at the 2006 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas (booth #35920).
The eTrex Legend® Cx (http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegendcx/), eTrex Vista® Cx (http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVistacx/), GPSMAP® 60Cx (http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cx/), GPSMAP 60CSx (http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60csx/), GPSMAP 76Cx (http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76cx/), and GPSMAP 76CSx (http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76csx/) will all feature the new card slot. In addition, the new 60x-series and 76x-series units will feature a new and highly sensitive GPS receiver that obtains faster acquisition times and lets users determine and track their location in challenging conditions such as heavy foliage or deep canyons.
“The new x-series of handhelds gives hikers, hunters, geocachers, and boaters exactly what they’re looking for – the versatility of a memory card slot for adding highly-detailed maps,” said Gary Kelley, Garmin’s vice president of marketing. “And with the addition of new GPS technology in our 60x and 76x lineup, acquiring and maintaining a fix is easier than ever.”
Owners of the new x-series of handhelds also can purchase new microSD cards that are pre-loaded with MapSource® Topo and inland lake maps, BlueChart® marine cartography, and City Navigator™ street maps. The microSD card slot is located inside the waterproof (IPX-7) battery compartment. Users can also load map data and transfer routes and waypoints through the units’ fast USB connection.
Designed as entry-level yet full-featured navigators, the eTrex Legend Cx and Vista Cx boast a color TFT display and advanced GPS routing capabilities in a waterproof design. A blank 32MB microSD card is included with these units. The Vista Cx incorporates a barometric altimeter for extremely accurate elevation data and an electronic compass displays accurate heading while standing still.
Considered the mainstay among serious outdoor enthusiasts, the GPSMAP 60Cx and 60CSx offer a large color TFT display and turn-by-turn routing capability and rugged looks. Each unit comes with a blank 64MB microSD card. The GPSMAP 60CSx also incorporates a barometric altimeter for extremely accurate elevation data and an electronic compass displays accurate heading while standing still.
Favorites among boaters, the GPSMAP 76Cx and 76CSx have the same features and large color display as the 60x series, with an added benefit for mariners – the units float. The 76x-series units are all equipped with a blank 128MB microSD card. Like the 60CSx, the GPSMAP 76CSx includes a barometric altimeter and electronic compass.
The x-series units are expected to be available in the first quarter of 2006 and are some of the many products the company announced at CES. For pricing and further details, on these and other newly-announced products, please visit www.garmin.com.

headchange4u
07-31-2006, 13:11

Later.

The newer 60csx does have better reception. In this review (http://patrick-roeder.de/reviews/garmin_gpsmap_60CSx.htm) the reviewer compares his old 60cs to the current generation 60csx. Big difference in reception.

Nightwalker
07-31-2006, 16:30
Dang! That's a lot of GPS you got there! You must get lost often;).
Nope. Obsessed mapmaker who is also a terrible gearhead.

Cuffs
07-31-2006, 22:01
On that auto-route feature, be careful! It only comes loaded w/ a basic mapset (ie, interstate and major hwys). You'll have to buy a mapping software program and upload the mapsets... Just make sure its Garmin compatible. Otherwise, all I can say is that Im jealous of your CSX and Im still stuck with my CS... ENJOY!!

blackbishop351
07-31-2006, 23:02
==============================
Take a look at the Geko 201 from Garmin. Prices vary but you can get it for a little over $100 at the following link:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Garmin-Geko-201-handheld-GPS.asp

It's not the most sophisitcated GPS on the market but if you're looking primarily for something to use as a compliment to map/compass it might be just what you need. Nice thing is that it operates on AAA batteries and is waterproof.

'Slogger

That looks like about what I'd want....does it get pretty good reception?

Footslogger
07-31-2006, 23:17
That looks like about what I'd want....does it get pretty good reception?
=================================
As good as any in its class. I've never had it under a dense canopy but I have been in the woods and it locked in within a minute or two and held the signal well.

Now ...if I could just get someone to buy my Etrex.

'Slogger

blackbishop351
07-31-2006, 23:23
Now ...if I could just get someone to buy my Etrex.

If you wanted me to buy it off you, you should've plugged that one instead! :D

But, if you wanna post a link, I'll take a look....

Footslogger
07-31-2006, 23:30
If you wanted me to buy it off you, you should've plugged that one instead! :D

But, if you wanna post a link, I'll take a look....

================================

Well ...here it is.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=37482&WT.mc_n=4&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=GOOGLE&cm_pla=DATAFEED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=4

Literally brand new.

'Slogger

blackbishop351
07-31-2006, 23:42
================================

Well ...here it is.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=37482&WT.mc_n=4&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=GOOGLE&cm_pla=DATAFEED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=4 (http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=37482&WT.mc_n=4&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=GOOGLE&cm_pla=DATAFEED-%3EPRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=4)

Literally brand new.

'Slogger

Hmm...any idea what the weight is? The Geko is only 3 oz...

How much are you wanting for it?

Footslogger
07-31-2006, 23:50
Hmm...any idea what the weight is? The Geko is only 3 oz...

How much are you wanting for it?
===================================

It's right around 5 oz and I'd take $80 for it. Comes with a leather case.

'Slogger

blackbishop351
07-31-2006, 23:52
===================================

It's right around 5 oz and I'd take $80 for it. Comes with a leather case.

'Slogger

Not bad. Let me sleep on it. And think about including shipping in that :D

Ridge
08-01-2006, 00:52
There had been rumours that Garmin was going to use the SiRF Star III chip in a handheld. I'm guessing that's happened now. The SiRF Star III is so sensitive that it will pick up a lock in a basement!

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail~dpno~710312.asp

I not too sure about the above unit, I've always used Garmin Units. But at just over a 143 bucks there has to be something going on. The SiRF chipset will really pay off if the FAA can ever get WAAS off the ground, right now its virtually useless. I'm going to call this company this week and get the scoop on their unit, right after I locate their website.

Ridge
08-01-2006, 00:59
.......I'm not too sure about the above unit, I've always used Garmin Units. But at just over a 143 bucks there has to be something going on......

Yea, scratch my previous post, I've just located their website and discovered you've got to have a "Host Platform". It's still a pretty good price though. http://www.usglobalsat.com/

Ridge
08-01-2006, 01:11
Verizon Wireless just came out today july31, with the new LG Chocolate slider phone mp3 and gps. I had to order off the web. The GPS system has the new SiRF technology.

NICKTHEGREEK
08-02-2006, 06:55
I'm still using a 5 yr old Magellan 270. I never felt an altimeter (barometric) was necessary the GPS estimate (when available) is close enough. Never use the "compass" on the unit, I prefer a real one. My unit and maps are set up for UTM, I punch in a few key waypoints and off I go. I use USGS Maps or custom prints from Nat'l Geographic Topo! I'm fairly confident in my overland nav skills with just map and compass, and simple GPS just helps keep me thinking. Very non-scientifically, no GPS is perfect and in heavily forested areas most can be very unreliable so don't bet your life on one. For the AT, just keep your head up and follow the blazes

FLHiker
08-02-2006, 07:56
I'm still using a 5 yr old Magellan 270. I never felt an altimeter (barometric) was necessary the GPS estimate (when available) is close enough. Never use the "compass" on the unit, I prefer a real one. My unit and maps are set up for UTM, I punch in a few key waypoints and off I go. I use USGS Maps or custom prints from Nat'l Geographic Topo! I'm fairly confident in my overland nav skills with just map and compass, and simple GPS just helps keep me thinking. Very non-scientifically, no GPS is perfect and in heavily forested areas most can be very unreliable so don't bet your life on one. For the AT, just keep your head up and follow the blazes

Having upgraded from a 6 y/o GPS to one of the new ones, I can say that I used to agree 100% with you - but the new ones have some very important features that make all the difference.

1) the old ones never really had a true magnetic compass (I'm not familar with the Magellen 270, but I don't think any of them had magnetic compasses back then.) The GPS units calculated the direction (ie. compass reading) from a line it drew between your last 2 calculated positions (in otehr words - what was the last direction you were travelling). It worked fine for boats and cars - but when walking - especially in the woods it was very frustrating to keep getting different readings. The new ones (certain models, of course) use a true magnetic compass when your speed is below a preset (and settable) speed. So now you can be perfectly still, and get an accurate compass reading overlaid on your map set (if you have one.) That being said- a GPS is of no use if the batteries die - so whether or not I have the GPS, I also have my trusty bubble compass on me.

2) The new GPS receivers are many times quicker and more accurrate. With the WAAS system in place, the new units are very accurate (probably within 10 ft with full reception.) But more importantly for hiking - they are many factors better at aquiring and keeping signal in heavy forrest areas. I was amazed at how much better my Garmin GPSmap 76 CS does than my old Garmin emap.

Now, I'm a recovering gizmo junkie - but I probably wouldn't buy a GPS just for trail hiking (although it's very nice to have.) I use mine for all kinds of things. On the trail it's a convenience to know how your progress is doing, how far yo uhave to go, and can be an important safety tool.