PDA

View Full Version : Present or past thru-hikers from portland, ME?

_boulder_
07-30-2006, 16:49
(i put similar post in Class of 2006 forum)

boulder here.

i injured my foot and got off trail, probably for the season, near Kent, CT.
i've been home in maine for almost three weeks. on crutches. lots of ice and elevation and little improvement. x-rays say no fractures. probably a ligament injury. had MRI on friday and see doc again on tuesday. don't expect she'll say i can hike again this year. more waiting to hear about treatment options and recovery time.

keeping my spirits up but miss the trail like hell. would be great to hear from any portlanders, mainers, or other new englanders who are out there or have finished this year. would love to hear from past trhu-hikers in the area. i'm in trail withdrawal. nice to hear from folks who get it.

email: [email protected]

thanks,
boulder

trailjournals.com/boulder

Mr. Clean
08-01-2006, 16:38
I enjoyed your journal. Gonna try to finish next year where you left off? Enjoy the salt air, and maybe try some trail magic for those that are left...

_boulder_
08-01-2006, 18:15
Saw doc today.
MRI showed fracture of 2nd metatarsal in left foot. At least tree more weeks to mend. If I get an OK from her, BIG IF, I'll figure out a leap frog before snow flies on Katahdin. If not, I'm tossing around the idea of starting from GA again next year.

boulder

Heater
08-01-2006, 22:10
(i put similar post in Class of 2006 forum)

boulder here.

i injured my foot and got off trail, probably for the season, near Kent, CT.
i've been home in maine for almost three weeks. on crutches. lots of ice and elevation and little improvement. x-rays say no fractures. probably a ligament injury. had MRI on friday and see doc again on tuesday. don't expect she'll say i can hike again this year. more waiting to hear about treatment options and recovery time.

keeping my spirits up but miss the trail like hell. would be great to hear from any portlanders, mainers, or other new englanders who are out there or have finished this year. would love to hear from past trhu-hikers in the area. i'm in trail withdrawal. nice to hear from folks who get it.

email: [email protected]

thanks,
boulder

trailjournals.com/boulder

Maybe jack will give you a whatsup when he cruises through...
Cheers! ;)

weary
08-01-2006, 23:06
Saw doc today.
MRI showed fracture of 2nd metatarsal in left foot. At least tree more weeks to mend. If I get an OK from her, BIG IF, I'll figure out a leap frog before snow flies on Katahdin. If not, I'm tossing around the idea of starting from GA again next year. boulder
I strongly recommend a flipflop, starting at Katahdin and heading south if you can find a doctor willing to okay it after the break heals. September and October are wonderful hiking months in Maine and New England. JUst take it slow and easy -- at least at first.

I was forced to leave the trail for 10 days in 1993, Rather than flipflop I just skipped southern New England, and hitting Katahdin on October 15. I went back two years later and did CT. and MA.

From time to time, I wish I had gone back in 1993. Somehow everything seemed anticlimatic after ending on Katahdin after six months and three days of hiking -- until the first snows of November and December blew in and I realized a "thru" was no longer feasible.

Weary