PDA

View Full Version : Can I be frank here?

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 17:59
I know I'll get tons of hate mail from this but can I just be honest for a moment...please??. Here are just a few reason why I don't think this whole AT thing is for me (even though I would honestly love to try it - seriously)...

No sex (unless strangers - or bears - are your "thing"...no thank's), no work (I'm a workaholic), no pets, bears, rabid animals (yes, I've read the stories here), field mice chewing and crawling all over your face at night, hunters (with guns), wild animals stealing your food pack, slippery mountains, no getting up in the morning and making a REAL cup of coffee or having a REAL homecooked meal in the evenings, no hospitals within miles (sorry but I AM disabled), no cable TV, over-crowded shelters (yes, I've seen lots of pictures), the possability of personal conflicts (even physical confrontations) over sex, religion or politics or because of some silly dissagreement over something, gear snobs, Etc.

Like I said in the beginning, I was living out a fantasy (of sorts) on this forum but I truly have no business here. People here might treat me nice but in the "real world" and "face-to-face", most of you would probably not like me at all because that has always ben the way it is. I have problems and deep-seated issues that none of you can probably understand so this just can't work out for me.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun while it lasted and I learned a great deal. I am very greatful for all the help and advice I recieved and I consider you all friends but I see the handwriting on the wall and I just know that it was never meant to be. Call it intuition. Again, thank's but no thank's. I'm sorry:(

- Regards, GG

hikerjohnd
07-30-2006, 18:05
So, have you ever been hiking? You do not have to go thru to enjoy the AT -

RockyTrail
07-30-2006, 18:17
Sounds like you've been reading way too many internet forums.
The best part about real hiking is that there aren't any trolls on the real AT.
Except maybe attroll:D

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 18:20
So, have you ever been hiking? You do not have to go thru to enjoy the AT -

I'm an "all or nothing" kind of a guy. You either do it all the way or you don't do it at all. I know that may sound a bit hard-core but that's just my particular mentality. Actually, I was hoping to be one of the first people with Tourette's (both physical and verbal tics) to hike the AT but what would any of you people do if I was walking close to you, sleeping next to you in one of the shelters or sleeping in my tent close to the shelter and suddenly I shouted out (at the top of my lungs)..."F--- YOU M------ F-----!!!!!!!" over and over again?. You might say that you would just overlook it (on this forum) but in real-life, you would be trying to choke the life out of me or give me a black eye or something. I know human nature (trust me) and people have their limits as to what they can tolerate and how far they can be pushed. I'm sorry but I just don't think it could work out and I HATE having Tourette's and I did'nt ask to be born with it. It suck, actually. Thank's for responding though.

- GG

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 18:26
Sounds like you've been reading way too many internet forums.
The best part about real hiking is that there aren't any trolls on the real AT.
Except maybe attroll:D

Actually, I AM a troll (but only on the Yahoo! boards (where I troll unmercifully to those unfortunate enough to cross my path) but here, I just came to learn out of a life-long curiosity and fascination with the AT.:sun

Toolshed
07-30-2006, 18:37
There's always room for someone esle with Tourette's (both physical and verbal tics) to be the first one to thru-hike.
I simply don't understand, though, why you gave up so easily - Do you always focus on the negative - Fixate on the difficulties and never on the strengths and insights you might gain??

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 18:38
At least this forum isn't full of prudes and everyone has a healthy sense of humor here. Like Andy Rooney always said..."I like that". I'd be curious to know how many of you are democrats and how many are republicans though...

- GG

general
07-30-2006, 18:42
you underestimate the hiker culture. no-one is gonna beat you up, and if they did about 3 other folks would pull someone off of you and beat the sht out of them. you wouldn't be the first with a problem to attemp a thru hike of the AT.

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 18:43
There's always room for someone esle with Tourette's (both physical and verbal tics) to be the first one to thru-hike.
I simply don't understand, though, why you gave up so easily - Do you always focus on the negative - Fixate on the difficulties and never on the strengths and insights you might gain??

See?...that's one of the reasons people don't like me. My maternal grandmother, mother, brother, sister and many others in my family are very bitter and negative, chronic worriers, etc. I guess it runs in the family. On ANY hike, I'd need to have someone special as a partner...someone with a good sense of humor, understanding, perhaps with a psychology degree and a high threshold for patience with people of my type. Basically, I'd need someone to "hold my hand" (and I don't mean that in a fruity sense!).

- GG

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 18:47
At least this forum isn't full of prudes and everyone has a healthy sense of humor here. Like Andy Rooney always said..."I like that". I'd be curious to know how many of you are democrats and how many are republicans though...

- GG

Expanding on this, I would only endeavor to say that I can tell a lot about a person, their philosophy on life, belief system, etc, by their political affiliation so please don't be shy (for example, I'm a democrat).

- Regards, GG

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 18:53
you underestimate the hiker culture. no-one is gonna beat you up, and if they did about 3 other folks would pull someone off of you and beat the sht out of them. you wouldn't be the first with a problem to attemp a thru hike of the AT.

I'm sure your right but there are some unforseen variables here like for instance, what if there's noone around to "pull someone off" of me or what if I'm dealing with someone who does'nt know me (like for example, someone who does'nt know my GreyGoose handle and thinks I am just "cussing them"?). Also, the bears, rabid animals, etc. Ok, maybe the people would be great but there would still be a lot of other issues, you know?.

- Regards, GG

Frosty
07-30-2006, 18:55
I know I'll get tons of hate mail from this but can I just be honest for a moment...please??. Here are just a few reason why I don't think this whole AT thing is for me (even though I would honestly love to try it - seriously)...

No sex (unless strangers - or bears - are your "thing"...no thank's), no work (I'm a workaholic), no pets, bears, rabid animals (yes, I've read the stories here), field mice chewing and crawling all over your face at night, hunters (with guns), wild animals stealing your food pack, slippery mountains, no getting up in the morning and making a REAL cup of coffee or having a REAL homecooked meal in the evenings, no hospitals within miles (sorry but I AM disabled), no cable TV, over-crowded shelters (yes, I've seen lots of pictures), the possability of personal conflicts (even physical confrontations) over sex, religion or politics or because of some silly dissagreement over something, gear snobs, Etc.

Like I said in the beginning, I was living out a fantasy (of sorts) on this forum but I truly have no business here. People here might treat me nice but in the "real world" and "face-to-face", most of you would probably not like me at all because that has always ben the way it is. I have problems and deep-seated issues that none of you can probably understand so this just can't work out for me.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun while it lasted and I learned a great deal. I am very greatful for all the help and advice I recieved and I consider you all friends but I see the handwriting on the wall and I just know that it was never meant to be. Call it intuition. Again, thank's but no thank's. I'm sorryNo need to apologize. I doubt if anyone is heartbroken over this. There are millions and millions of people who will never try a thruhike, for the reasons you mention and other reasons. Ooo blah dee, oo blah dah, Woe-woe-oh li-fe goes on.

I'm an "all or nothing" kind of a guy. You either do it all the way or you don't do it at all. Hard to do it all if you don't try. But I understand the benefits of not trying. Really cuts down the list of failures in one's life.

My life is riddled with failures, inlcuding two attempts at an AT thruhike and two attempts at the Nrothville Placid Trail. FOur failures, all for different reasons. At least variety isn't one of my shortcomings :D

Vi+
07-30-2006, 18:57
GreyGoose,

I tutored people who didn’t complete high school, some in jail, to earn/receive their GED, and also people who were illiterate.

I tutored one illiterate person in particular, who became almost literate. He slacked off more and more the closer he came to becoming literate. He was so close, his resistance became painful for me.

I stopped.

I was wasting my time. I canceled out. The literacy council offered to replace me. He stopped trying completely.

I rationalized he was afraid of failure. As long as he couldn’t read or write he was free to claim, “I would be CEO here if only I could read.” Once he became literate he could no longer make such a claim, he would stand or fall on his own merits.

I know a guy who is a retailer, owning his own small business, waiting on his customers all day. He suffers the same disorders as you expressed. He’s great. He does well. He’s married, and all the rest.

Maybe you’re right. There really are despicable bastards in the world no one should like.

You are what you are, until you decide not to be.

If you ever decide to stop rolling in it, take a chance, do what you’d like. If all the crap you trot out actually happens to you, someone will want to write a book about it. Someone else will want to make it into a movie, stars will line up vying to appear in it, and everyone will want to go see it. You’ll be rich. Fame will be your option.

Good luck.

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 19:11
The last two posts just prove my point. Trust me, I'm not heartbroken over any of this either nor am I laying awake at night staring at the ceiling through bloodshot eyes. Humanity in general has a great deal of evolving to do and until that process completes itself (if that ever happens), I think I'll safetly remain here with what I am comfortable with. At the end of the day, only I (added emphasis here) put food on my table and pay the bills so opinions as to how I'm "wasting my life", etc mean nothing to me. If a bunch of 1960's counter-culture hippies wangt to go out in the woods and catch rabies from a crazed bear, I'm all for that but as I said earlier, that just isn't my cup of tea but hey, please nail me to the cross for my beliefs.

I'm done here, GG

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 19:16
Frosty (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=1763) -

It's not the "failures" I'm concerned about. It's running into people like you on the trail. Probably yet another great reason for me to stay right here enjoying my prime rib and mashed potatoes while your trekking up some mountain chewing on a tofu bar but hey, "happy hiking".

- GG

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 19:19
Bottom line. I'm not hiking the AT. Not now. Not ever, End of discussion. Thank's. It was a grat experience entertaining the idea but that is as far as it's going. The end.

- GG

Ridge
07-30-2006, 19:26
>>>GOOD BYE <<<

Cookerhiker
07-30-2006, 19:29

Anyway, it was a lot of fun while it lasted and I learned a great deal. I am very greatful for all the help and advice I recieved and I consider you all friends but I see the handwriting on the wall and I just know that it was never meant to be. Call it intuition. Again, thank's but no thank's. I'm sorry:(

- Regards, GG

Whether one agrees or disagrees with all or some of your points, there's no reason you should get hate mail.

jimtanker
07-30-2006, 19:31
Im just wondering what his trail name would be if he did Thru.

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 19:58
>>>GOOD BYE <<<

No, more like GOOD RIDDANCE TO A FEW BAD GRANOLA HEADS. NOW MAYBE I CAN ACTUALLY GET SOME WORK DONE...

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 20:00

It would'nt.

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 20:07
To those of you who hurt my feelings here by saying unkind things...

Right now, I am sitting in an air-conditioned office in my home, watching 300 channel cable TV on a 121" plasma TV and enjoying a platter of meatloaf with brown gravy, mashed potatoes and buttered asparagus (apple pie and ice-cream will be for dessert later).

Ok, reality check here.

Now, I'm supposed to sit on top of a mountain in the freezing rain, eating a granola bar, with a hungry black bear watching me?.

Um...yeah...this makes a LOT of sense. Seriously, where are some of you people coming from???.

- GG

blindeye
07-30-2006, 20:09
Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skidsteer
07-30-2006, 20:17
As you wish.

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 20:23
Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yes, I'm also drinking an ice-cold honey lager beer and my business just netted a very handsome net profit within the last several days. Not to brag but I seriously fail to see where anything the AT provides could compare to civilized life (isn't capitalism/industrialization great?). I have a very comfortable (perhaps privilaged) life and it's just difficult to imagine giving any portion of that up.

So, some of you will make snibe remarks like "good riddance" or "the trail is better off without you anyway" or "we won't lose sleep over it", etc. Hey, feel free to have as blast at my expense and hammer away but just remember that while you are sleeping in a tent with a rabid bear circling and mice crawling all over your face in the shelters as you bite your fingernails to the stubs in a panic, I am sitting here in my air-conditioned office having a frosty and dining suptuously.

Bottom line is...we spent the last 50 years going through a technological, industrial and medical revolution and there was a reason for that. So we, as humans, would'nt have to stay subject to the sometimes vicious and unpredictable laws of nature. For all others, please pick up your Darwin award at the front door and don't forget the free mints.

- GG

dixicritter
07-30-2006, 20:26
GreyGoose, You say you don't care, yet you get angry that others don't care enough to beg you stay around. Make up your mind. Either stay around and settle down or go, it is your choice to make. However, you will not start a flame war on this site, and I do have the authority as an Administrator to say that.

Enough already, you've said your peace. You are most welcome to hang around should you decide to do so.

ed bell
07-30-2006, 20:27
Ok, reality check here.

Now, I'm supposed to sit on top of a mountain in the freezing rain, eating a granola bar, with a hungry black bear watching me?.

Um...yeah...this makes a LOT of sense. Seriously, where are some of you people coming from???.

- GGYou are supposed to do what you wish with your life. It's a shame some members here actually tried to understand you and help you with this GreyGoose. Oh well, I guess it's hard to identify a troll. It's even harder to identify a troll who has no point to make.:sun

StarLyte
07-30-2006, 20:29
The postings are projecting something else.

This is someone pulling a prank.

Good job.

ed bell
07-30-2006, 20:40
So, some of you will make snibe remarks like "good riddance" or "the trail is better off without you anyway" or "we won't lose sleep over it", etc. Hey, feel free to have as blast at my expense and hammer away but just remember that while you are sleeping in a tent with a rabid bear circling and mice crawling all over your face in the shelters as you bite your fingernails to the stubs in a panic, I am sitting here in my air-conditioned office having a frosty and dining suptuously.

Bottom line is...we spent the last 50 years going through a technological, industrial and medical revolution and there was a reason for that. So we, as humans, would'nt have to stay subject to the sometimes vicious and unpredictable laws of nature. For all others, please pick up your Darwin award at the front door and don't forget the free mints.

- GGYou made an excellent decision GG you wouldn't last a day as a backpacker. It really is just like any other hobby, you have to love it to actually understand it. You don't. Maybe someday you will actually try it and find out for sure, but until then have a nice life.:sun

themooseisloose
07-30-2006, 20:45
Wow, a 121 inch plasma screen tv huh? That's over 10 feet. I didn't know they made them that big (hint: they don't). An 80 inch plasma cost $40,000 so you could buy a house with what it cost you to buy that, right?

That's a lot of cash for someone who doesn't understand the use of an apostophe in grammatical English (hint: no need for an apostophe between the k and the s in the word "thanks").

Yeah, this is either a prank or a pathological liar.

By the way, I'm one of the "fruits" you mentioned.

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 20:48
Frankly, I think you should ban me immediately but this is only my humble opinion dear admin (sir/mam). Like I said, I don't belong here but it was my obssession that brought me here (I suffer from OCD). Still, I have proven my point (that people generally do not like me as a rule).

I DID truly come here to learn, make friends and perhaps (one day) hike the AT. That is absolutely the truth. However, my fears and obssessions seem to have gotten in the way and have managed to p!ss a few people off. I did not come here to flame but the more I read, the more I have decided that the AT is not for me and from what I have seen, read, heard, etc, I am becoming more and more convinced that some of you could become violent out on the trail and possably even try to beat me up (seriously). What about the two posts where several people talked about ex-cons/prisoners hiking the trail. I mean, come on!.

Anyway, it's a shame that things have turned out the way they have here (story of my life) but I guess that's just the way it goes. I tried to warn you people but everyone was so convinced that I was this perfect little angel and would be accepted by everyone regardless of my issues. I guess that turned out to be a big dissapointment, huh?.

Anyway...

- GG

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 20:52
Wow, a 121 inch plasma screen tv huh? That's over 10 feet. I didn't know they made them that big (hint: they don't). An 80 inch plasma cost $40,000 so you could buy a house with what it cost you to buy that, right?

That's a lot of cash for someone who doesn't understand the use of an apostophe in grammatical English (hint: no need for an apostophe between the k and the s in the word "thanks").

Yeah, this is either a prank or a pathological liar.

By the way, I'm one of the "fruits" you mentioned.

(1) I had the 121 plasma TV custom built.
(2) Thank's or thanks (either one is grammatically acceptable)
(3) I think you are a liar.
(4) I hope you wear protection so you don't infect the rest of us with AIDS.

End of discussion...

Ewker
07-30-2006, 20:54
Yes you can be Frank if you want to. Whatever name you chose is ok :cool:

nicodemus
07-30-2006, 20:56
What was the real reason behind even saying good bye like you did, it was as if you want to start some drama..."Let me see...what will they say to THIS!!!" Sorry, if that was your intent.

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 20:58
What was the real reason behind even saying good bye like you did, it was as if you want to start some drama..."Let me see...what will they say to THIS!!!" Sorry, if that was your intent.

:confused:

nicodemus
07-30-2006, 21:01
I agree with you entirely..why the long and suffering letter in his swan dive from the rooftops?

RockyTrail
07-30-2006, 21:07

Lobster...

fiddlehead
07-30-2006, 21:12
Now i've seen a guy quit after the aproach trail at Springer, a guy quit after studying the profile map of Roan mtn the night before, and NOW, a guy quit cause he talked about the trail too much and got scared.
As they say here in Asia: Up to you!
but you're right about one thing: i won't lose sleep over it

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 21:15
but you're right about one thing: i won't lose sleep over it

Please don't. I would'nt lose any sleep over it myself if you did since you don't pay my bills or put food on my table. Back to my gourmet pizza...

- GG

themooseisloose
07-30-2006, 21:20
I'm more offended at the lack of understanding of grammar than the comment in number four. That said, I'll be sure to tell my partner of almost ten years - that is, my FEMALE partner of almost ten years - that we should really consider protection...

Look, Goose, at least you figured out that the AT isn't your thing. And you figured it out before getting out on the trail. May you enjoy whatever journey presents itself to you next.

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 21:27
One thing I don't understand (and I realize that the vast majority of people on this forum are democrats/liberals - like I said, I've done a LOT of reading) why is it that just because I'm not gay or I used the word "fruit" a few posts back, I am suddenly being inundated with hate male/PM's from people who have...um...a "different" sexual orientation?. Look, I don't really care if you are married, straight, gay, into sheep or whatever ok?. All I was doing was talking about myself and I was'nt trying to make a huge issue over who was gay/straight or whatever. Sorry if I offended but I'm sure I'll get a black eye for it anyway. Gee, after all the flack I've gotten so far, I'm becoming convinced that black bears and rabid racoons are the LEAST of my worries!!!.

- GG

VictoriaM
07-30-2006, 21:32
Wow, he went from 0 to bat**** crazy in under a page. I think that's a new record.

For what it's worth GG, since I know you're still hanging around to savor the drama, no one had anything negative to say to you until you started the name calling. If you hadn't started in with the "nobody like me, everybody hates me, guess I'll go eat worms!" there would never have been an issue. You might call this being frank, I call it a rather pathetic cry for attention. Did you think that we'd all jump into this thread begging you to reconsider and hike next year? I'm sorry you're disappointed, but it just doesn't work that way. You have to hike because you want to, not because some is, as you said, holding your hand along the way. Your reaction to our shrugged shoulders looks like a toddler throwing a hissy fit from where I'm sitting, and I have no patience for that. I don't think anyone here does.

If you're done here, please slip away quietly now. If you decide to hike later and can behave yourself, I'm sure you'll be welcomed back. Until then, have a nice life with your giant TV, and I'll have a nice life on the trail.

I gently suggest we all stop responding to this thread, as the responses are GG's reason for coming back. Don't feed the trolls.

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 21:32
I'm more offended at the lack of understanding of grammar than the comment in number four. That said, I'll be sure to tell my partner of almost ten years - that is, my FEMALE partner of almost ten years - that we should really consider protection...

Look, Goose, at least you figured out that the AT isn't your thing. And you figured it out before getting out on the trail. May you enjoy whatever journey presents itself to you next.

Hey, sarcasm aside, I DON'T CARE if your "gay" ok?. In fact, I have some sexual issues myself that society probably would'nt approve of but that's not what all of this is about. What it IS about (all of the crap aside) is that I am afraid of getting beat up on the trail by someone and it REALLY DOES scare me and I'm sorry but I can't shake that feeling no matter HOW HARD I try. How can I make you people understnad that???.

- GG

RockyTrail
07-30-2006, 21:41
I gently suggest we all stop responding to this thread, as the responses are GG's reason for coming back. Don't feed the trolls.

Amen, sister, I second the motion...(yawn)

Have a great day:sun

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 21:43
Wow, he went from 0 to bat**** crazy in under a page. I think that's a new record.

For what it's worth GG, since I know you're still hanging around to savor the drama, no one had anything negative to say to you until you started the name calling. If you hadn't started in with the "nobody like me, everybody hates me, guess I'll go eat worms!" there would never have been an issue. You might call this being frank, I call it a rather pathetic cry for attention. Did you think that we'd all jump into this thread begging you to reconsider and hike next year? I'm sorry you're disappointed, but it just doesn't work that way. You have to hike because you want to, not because some is, as you said, holding your hand along the way. Your reaction to our shrugged shoulders looks like a toddler throwing a hissy fit from where I'm sitting, and I have no patience for that. I don't think anyone here does.

If you're done here, please slip away quietly now. If you decide to hike later and can behave yourself, I'm sure you'll be welcomed back. Until then, have a nice life with your giant TV, and I'll have a nice life on the trail.

I've got an even better idea...how about just BANNING ME for being scared to hike the trail or for daring to have an "opinion" or short of that, how about I put YOU on my ignore list since you seem to be so self-righteous and intolerant of anyone else's views (other than your own narrow-minded ones). Like I said, I work hard, put food on my table, pay my bills, etc. I'm so sorry that I have offended you by being scared of bears and for being handicapped. I thought liberals were supposed to be sensitive to other people's issues but I guess I was wrong.

- GG

GreyGoose
07-30-2006, 21:47
Yes, now everyone gang up on the handicapped guy who dared to just be honest and express his opinion. What was my "crime" here?. Would a good, healthy public flogging make everyone happy?. Yes, perhaps that would satisfy the bloodlust...

- GG

frieden
07-30-2006, 21:48
First of all, the guy admits that he has a problem. It's his problem, and he has asked to go back into his hole. Yes, it's sad, but I think we should respect his request to completely leave him alone from now on.

I was reading the posts, and it just made me smile. There was a time in my life where lack of money was not an issue. I lived in a 4-story house, with white walls, white carpet, and a dumb waiter. We would stay in the top hotels, just because our dog liked to ride up and down on the glass elevators. We had a track going through the house, where my kids rode their train (yes, just like the TV show). After awhile, though, your possessions start possessing you.

You know what? I wouldn't go back to that life for all the tea in China. Is money bad? No, you can buy better gear! ;) How do you explain to someone in that world what it's like to wake up to the sunrise coming across a mountain lake, with not a soul around to disturb your peace? I've been to Walt Disney World over 950 times. I wish I could have used that money and time to hike the globe, meet new people, and learn about different cultures (of course, Epcot is close). You know - live!

I was reading all of the "negative" things in an earlier post about thru hiking on the AT, and I just thought longingly - oh yeah! You know, by the time you see that sunrise, you know that you've earned it. You made it through that rough stretch of trail, bugs, searing heat, and non-stop rain. The feeling of accomplishment makes that sunrise much more satisfying and beautiful.

It may not be for everyone, which is ok. They need to keep the economy going, so I can watch my sunrise! :sun

dixicritter
07-30-2006, 21:49
This thread is now officially closed!