PDA

View Full Version : Severely run down

NEFFA
07-30-2006, 18:16
I had to get off the trail (nobo thru-hike) this year in New York due to feeling completely run down. For a week my legs were shaky starting in the morning and felt heavy and weak, I was dizzy and felt like I was going to faint, and I was sick to my stomach. I also developed in one day horrible sores all around both ankles after walking in wet boots (which I had done many times before without problems). I got off the trail and rested, took vitamens and ate a high protein diet for 12 days and then tried to return. Unfortunatly I was still too weak to hike. Since then I have had ever worsening knee pain in addition to still feeling tired and weak and faint. I have tested negative for anemia, low protein, Lyme, Mono, Lupus and Giardia. Has anyone else experienced this? If so how long did it take to recover and what helped? NEFFA

FurTrappers
07-30-2006, 22:24
NEFFA,

Just a heads up.... Just because you tested negative for Lyme Disease doesn't mean you don't have it. Sounds like you've been to at least one doctor, has he/she mentioned anything about putting you on antibodTICs just in case it is lyme? Its only two weeks worth, and could solve a whole lot of problems later on in life if it turns out to be Lyme. Maybe you never saw a rash, maybe you never had one, not everybody gets the bullseye rash. Not everyone shows up positive for the test either. If it was me, and where you were hiking at the time this all started, I'd be pushing for the meds., just in case. Better to be safe now, then sorry later!

Fur....
(Knows all about being sorry later!)

neo
07-30-2006, 22:39
I had to get off the trail (nobo thru-hike) this year in New York due to feeling completely run down. For a week my legs were shaky starting in the morning and felt heavy and weak, I was dizzy and felt like I was going to faint, and I was sick to my stomach. I also developed in one day horrible sores all around both ankles after walking in wet boots (which I had done many times before without problems). I got off the trail and rested, took vitamens and ate a high protein diet for 12 days and then tried to return. Unfortunatly I was still too weak to hike. Since then I have had ever worsening knee pain in addition to still feeling tired and weak and faint. I have tested negative for anemia, low protein, Lyme, Mono, Lupus and Giardia. Has anyone else experienced this? If so how long did it take to recover and what helped? NEFFA

how about diabetes,i lost 19 lbs in days on section hike last year and kepts losing more wieght after coming home,i am a type 2 diabetic now:cool: neo

frieden
07-30-2006, 22:41

First, let me say that I am not an MD. I was a certified nutritionist, but I am not certified any longer. Legal disclaimer........

With that said, if I were you, I would get a 32-day detox kit. For 3 months: Switch to a vegetarian diet, as raw as possible. Do not use anything that isn't natural or organic - especially shampoo, soap, lotion, toothpaste, etc. Don't eat anything out of a drive thru, and stay away from soda, coffee (organic might be ok for 1-2 cups in the morning), white flour, vinegar, processed sugar (use cane), and alcohol. Drink lots of water, but no more than 2L/hr. Distilled water helps pull toxins out of the body, but don't do this for too long. Get up early, and go to bed early, at the same times every day, no matter what. Get 6-8 hrs of sleep, but don't sleep in, just because you can one day. Don't intentionally stress yourself during this time, like extreme heat or cold. Be happy. Seriously. If you feel yourself getting bummed, rent some stand up comedy, or something. Tai Chi, anyone?

Lion King
08-16-2006, 17:38
If none of the above helps you.

Get a Protein powder and drink a double dose each morning.

I use these for breakfeast and when I feel like crap...man...what a difference.
Of course this is just a thought.

Whey for guys, soy for the women. (Soy reduces testostorne in men)

Auntie Mame
08-16-2006, 18:38
Hi Neffa, I think you are the hiker my sister, V8 knows. I am so sorry that you have felt so lousy. What a trial. Can you catch us up on how you are doing? Any leads for treatment? Hope like heck you are starting to feel a little better. Warmly, Marcia (Wildernut)

dougmeredith
08-16-2006, 18:43
With that said, if I were you, I would get a 32-day detox kit.

My appologies in advance, because I know you really believe what you are saying, and there is now way to do this without offending you, but I believe it is important for somebody to stand on the side of truth and science.

This is complete crap with no scientific basis. Don't waste your time.

Doug

the_iceman
08-16-2006, 19:23
Again no certification or training to give advice here but I will give my humble thoughts. Sometimes I think doctors have a big diagnostic dart board in the back room when it comes to the unusual stuff. Being sick is bad enough but the frustration from not being diagnosed is enough to drive you crazy.

I am sure everyone has asked you the same questions but you could have developed a reaction to the long term exposure of something you were using. (besides Mac n, Cheese).

Were you using any DEET laden bug repellant? I hiked with my kids a while back and we all ate and drank the same thing except I used this old 90% Deet on my face and neck and I got really sick. It may be a coincidence by I think it was a reaction.

Not trying to scare the crap out of you but have they eliminated M.S. or Sarcoidosis? A CAT scan to check for lesions should rule out M.S. Sarcoidosis is harder to diagnose but is the lesser of 2 evils.

Keep the faith and get better.

rumbler
08-16-2006, 19:52
Whiskey, beer and chocolate donuts.

Pacific Tortuga
08-16-2006, 20:20
[quote=dougmeredith]My appologies in advance, because I know you really believe what you are saying, and there is now way to do this without offending you, but I believe it is important for somebody to stand on the side of truth and science.

Doug[/quote

It is all crap......................unless it heals you and thats the trick. It is not about what does or doesn't work AMA,FDA or Certified Organic approved or what ever, I think it is all about your mind, body chemistry and finding how to control the symptoms,pain and long term cure. I wish I could trouble shot your chief complaints and give you the cure,sorry I can not. I would go back to diet and life style and see if a red flag jumps up at you. Seeing a physician getting some tests and antibiotics, detoxing, eating organic and picture yourself back on the Trail hiking is a good start. I wish you well and please keep us updated on your recovery and what worked for you.

NEFFA
08-19-2006, 10:54
All of these posts are helpful and I am grateful for them. I now believe that my symptoms may be emotional in origin and and working in counseling along with taking vitamens and trying to eat healthy. I don't feel better yet but I'm hopeful. And if I don't feel better when I'm done with counseling I'll return to the doctor and ask about MS. (DON'T want that)

NEFFA
08-19-2006, 10:58
Hi Neffa, I think you are the hiker my sister, V8 knows. I am so sorry that you have felt so lousy. What a trial. Can you catch us up on how you are doing? Any leads for treatment? Hope like heck you are starting to feel a little better. Warmly, Marcia (Wildernut)

I'm not sure I met your sister (my memory is terrible, I can't remember someone named V8) but thanks so much for the warm wishes. Means a lot to me. As I said in another post I'm not recovered yet but feel I'm on the road (trail) to recovery.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-19-2006, 11:23
My appologies in advance, because I know you really believe what you are saying, and there is now way to do this without offending you, but I believe it is important for somebody to stand on the side of truth and science.

Doug
Do you have scientific evidence to back that up?:rolleyes: :welcome

Neffa,
Have anything the doctors done yet helped, or are you still hurting? Doctors hate not being able to diagnose something. It invalidates all the money daddy spent on an eight year degree learning Latin. If a lab tech or radiologist cant tell them what the problem is, they're about useless. They'll guess away until you're broke.
Listen to Frieden, if you dont get better. Go see a nutritionalist. Detoxification has often worked better than medication and vitamins in situations of nonfocal symptons. You have been through a very tough ordeal and your body is telling you something aint right. The psych angle is possible, but psychiatrists are about as helpful as a propane dealer at a house fire. Unless you had outstanding issues, do you think you developed an event while hiking? That would be a first. Most of us feel like we've been to see God after a long hike, and dont want to leave the trail.

Good luck and keep us abreast.

NEFFA
10-12-2006, 15:29
I just found out (finally!) that I had babesiosis, a tick borne illness. I feel much better and just tested my strength by backpacking through Mahoosic Notch. I still notice a little weakness but I was able to do it - yay. I plan to return to the trail next June and finish my thru-hike in a time warp with 350 zeros.

MarcnNJ
10-12-2006, 15:34
Hi Neffa, its Catch Up. Im browsing around while editing my journal on trailjournals and saw your post. Hope you get better and enjoy the second half of your hike next year. I wish I was heading back out there myself!!

Catch

ScottP
10-12-2006, 15:44
#$*&_%43 ticks

Outlaw
10-12-2006, 16:40
NEFFA,

If it was me, and where you were hiking at the time this all started, I'd be pushing for the meds., just in case. Better to be safe now, then sorry later!
(Knows all about being sorry later!)

Sounds like Fur almost hit the nail on the head with this one. When I did a quick Google search of babesiosis I found http://familydoctor.org/689.xml which said that antibiotics are usually used to treat it.

Nean
10-13-2006, 01:06

Doug

Thats easy to say. Is there any scientific basis that eating crap is good for you?:-?
My neighbors back in TN. both ate raw and were in top shape. Better than most in thier late 50s and early 60s. A friend at Neels Gap had serious stomach problems for years until a holistic doc put him on a raw diet for awhile. He's been fine ever since. :)
I almost started a thread today about my new diet. As some of you may know, Hikin Heidi is a vegaterian, which pretty much makes me one too. No big deal, I can take it or leave it. About 2 weeks ago we went totally raw. After a few days I was bouncing off the wall. Feel like a new man, or as I told her, I feel like I do when I'm hiking! Lost 9 lbs in that time too. I eat as much as I want and the food is GREAT! That may be wasting my time Doug, it may all be in my head (and down the toliet). Who cares?!? Do we really need a scientist to tell us how we feel. Remember the doctors in the SUPERSIZE ME documentary? They knew it all- :rolleyes:. Why not waste a little time and see for yourself? BTW, Some folks think hiking is a bunch of crap and a waste of time too.;)

MOWGLI
10-13-2006, 01:14
I just found out (finally!) that I had babesiosis, a tick borne illness. I feel much better and just tested my strength by backpacking through Mahoosic Notch. I still notice a little weakness but I was able to do it - yay. I plan to return to the trail next June and finish my thru-hike in a time warp with 350 zeros.

Rock on NEFFA! Glad to hear you figured it out and are on the mend.

Pokey2006
10-13-2006, 01:21
I'm all for eating healthy, but in this case, it made more sense to get antibiotics "just in case" of Lyme disease, rather than a 32-day detox, which, by the way, could have screwed up a sick person's system even more. When changing to a radically different way of eating, it is best to do it when healthy, and to do it slowly, not all at once.

I am relieved that a diagnosis was finally made and no harm is done. Maybe I'll see you on the trail next summer!

Nean
10-13-2006, 09:08
I'm all for eating healthy, but in this case, it made more sense to get antibiotics "just in case" of Lyme disease, rather than a 32-day detox, which, by the way, could have screwed up a sick person's system even more. When changing to a radically different way of eating, it is best to do it when healthy, and to do it slowly, not all at once.

I am relieved that a diagnosis was finally made and no harm is done. Maybe I'll see you on the trail next summer!

I'll agree on the antibiotics. And I never had the desire to detox, even for a few days. But an apple and banana for breakfast (I still have a cup or two of coffee) a huge salad for lunch (I work next to a Whole Foods) and a AYCE dinner from Heidis raw....cookbook. :eek: I cut out the beer and enjoy a glass of wine w/ dinner. Walla-- new man!:banana While a detox is radically different, I don't see where eating a bunch of good food is.:D Now if I started eating McDonalds everyday.......:-?

Btw, make that 10lbs. I'm at my hiking weight, yeah.

Doctari
10-13-2006, 09:12
Sounds like Fur almost hit the nail on the head with this one. When I did a quick Google search of babesiosis I found http://familydoctor.org/689.xml which said that antibiotics are usually used to treat it.

Wow, sounds alot like Lymes. Glad the article also said it is "rare".

Happy that you are on the mend, scary times.

Doctari.

c.coyle
10-13-2006, 10:56
... With that said, if I were you, I would get a 32-day detox kit. ... Distilled water helps pull toxins out of the body ...

Can you give us the names of one or two of these "toxins"?

Nean
10-14-2006, 00:29
Can you give us the names of one or two of these "toxins"?

I don't know any names :o , but they sure do stink.:D :eek: :p