PDA

View Full Version : Got only 2 months to hike...

nicodemus
07-30-2006, 20:47
I can only take time off for two months of hiking April 2007 :( ... this does not include traveling from west coast and the usual logistics. What I need to know is what would be the area that would be considered the best for the time that I have available? I don't mind being around other hikers...I started my hiking career in Yosemite, so crowds were a given. I know there isn't going to be one answer, but if posed the question "Two months of hiking the AT, what route would you take?"...:-?

hikerjohnd
07-31-2006, 00:08
If you want the thru-hiker experience then start at Springer and go north until time is up. Or - plan your trip to be in Damascus for Trail Days (mid May) - definitely worth the trip - maybe start in the north and work your way south to be in Damascus in time. You will pass the NoBo's and hear some fun stories. If it were me though - I'd start at Springer and head north - maybe you will get 1/2 way and can complete the trail at a later date...

nicodemus
07-31-2006, 00:14
:cool: Thank you!! I hadn't heard about Trail Days, I will look that up.

Heater
07-31-2006, 01:19
:cool: Thank you!! I hadn't heard about Trail Days, I will look that up.

http://www.traildays.info/

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?c=689

Amigi'sLastStand
07-31-2006, 01:31
If I had two months, I'd do just what hikerjohn said.

fiddlehead
07-31-2006, 02:39
If you don't mind hordes of people, I agree with the above posts.
April is too early to be in the best (most scenic) parts of the AT which are in NH and Maine. You really don't want to be up there until at least late May or June

nicodemus
07-31-2006, 12:25
dont think that the thought hasn't gone thru my head many times

StarLyte
07-31-2006, 12:46
I can only take time off for two months of hiking April 2007 :( ... this does not include traveling from west coast and the usual logistics. What I need to know is what would be the area that would be considered the best for the time that I have available? I don't mind being around other hikers...I started my hiking career in Yosemite, so crowds were a given. I know there isn't going to be one answer, but if posed the question "Two months of hiking the AT, what route would you take?"...:-?

Do you have a journal?

nicodemus
07-31-2006, 12:55
not yet, my last trip through the canadian rockies I had one, I love re-reading it!!