PDA

View Full Version : Help with Shoes

EarlyBird2007
07-31-2006, 08:49
I'm getting ready for my northbound AT thru-hike in 2007. I switched from hiking boots to trail runners last year and I'm generally pleased. The ones I'm using now are New Balance 476 , which I don't think are made any more. I've been using them on practice hikes in PA. They have worked pretty well until I ran into the rockier sections north of Rausch Gap. My feet were pretty well trashed yesterday by the section around the 501 shelter. I'd still like to go with trail runners, but I definitely need more cushioning for the rockier sections. I'd appreciate any thoughts, particularly by AT thru-hikers who have used trail runners.

Thanks much in advance.

cjfetters
07-31-2006, 10:33
I have used both vasque boots and north face trail running shoes. They both have advantages. It is a bit of a trade off though. You will have to give up some advantages for the loss of others...

hikerjohnd
07-31-2006, 10:54
I was pleased with my switch from waffle stompers to trail runners, but as a big guy, I found the trail runners just did not hold up. I am now using lite-hikers and get the lightweight performance of runners with the durability of a boot. I think mine are Asolo's.

Just thought I'd share one experience - maybe a lite hiker will offer you better durability too!

Phreak
07-31-2006, 12:11
I stopped wearing hiking boots back in the late 80's and strictly use trail runners now. I have had the best results with the Montrail Hurricane Ridge GTX.

wilconow
07-31-2006, 13:20
i love the montrail hardrock

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Reviews/MONHRKW/MONHRKWReview.html

gumball
07-31-2006, 13:27
I just took my Adidas Trail Responses through that same section and for the first time ever, across PA rocks--TA DAH--NO BLISTERS!!!!! And the trail runners held up quite well, much to my pleasant surprise. I really like these, but they work for me--I think you have to try out a few to get what feels right for your feet. I've worn boots across those rocks a couple of times and made hamburger out of my feet. I was expecting worse with trail runners, b/c they don't seem as sturdy...so this was a very pleasant surprise :)

Mother's Finest
07-31-2006, 14:16
Hi Jimhfoster....
first, think about your feet and the fit of the shoes you are going to get. If you wear those New Balances because you have a wide foot, then you are not going to have as many choices as someone with a more narrow or medium foot.

personally, I wear the brooks beast, this is a motion control running shoe that works great with up to 35 lb loads in my pack. that said, have never thru'd in the same shoes. they do hold up well on the trails of the wissahickon.
peace
mf

Time To Fly 97
07-31-2006, 14:19
I highly recommend Merrill Pulse II Low Cross-Trainers. Aside from being able to handle serious weight (strength, tread durability and shank) they are amazing if you have to hike through water. The Gore-Tex liner combined with the design of the shoe "pumps" water out while you are hiking and dries amazingly quick. These are a huge improvement over the Vasques and many others I have tried.

TTF

SGT Rock
07-31-2006, 14:31
Though not "trail runners" I love Nike Air Pegasus running shoes for backpacking in. They have a great cushion sole, they are very light, and dry quickly.

EarlyBird2007
08-01-2006, 13:13
I've decided to go with Asolo Futive GTX. By the way, I got them for 25% off at EMS. Just $127.50.:clap

hopefulhiker
08-01-2006, 13:22
I used the montrail hardrock. The weight savings are worth it. I started out with the Vasque sundowners but switched in Damascus.. Glad I did.. Your ankles have to get stronger and when they get wet your feet are wet until they dry out which is really not to long. Take extra socks.

hikerjohnd
08-01-2006, 16:42
I've decided to go with Asolo Futive GTX. By the way, I got them for 25% off at EMS. Just $127.50.:clap

Wow - from a shoe to a full boot. :-? I hope you are happy with the transition... most hikers go the other direction.

Peaks
08-01-2006, 17:44
Well, if rocks and roots bother your feet, then probably time to go with more of a shank in it. Try a lightweight hiking boot. My only recommendation on brand and model is to find the make and model that fits your feet the best.

Buddman
08-12-2006, 07:47
I just got back from section 6 of the AT from Rte17 to 27 Northbound 48 miles in Maine and I hiked in my new Asolo Fugitive GTX's. I loved the fit and comfort but 3.5 days of rain had the shoes fill up with water. Was Like walking in bathtubs due to run in from socks and they never dried out for the whole section hike!
Anyone got suggestions on keeping the rain from coming in from the socks down without wearing gaitors?

soulrebel
08-12-2006, 08:42
Trail runners are overrated and heavier when compared to regular running shoes. Asics is a great shoe company and for 50-80 bucks you can find some really cush models. I like gt-2100, kayano, or gel 1100's. You can easily get 400-700 miles in a pair. Skip the camp shoes as well and loosen the laces, remove socks and insoles for river crossings or just go through them. Shoes generally dry in less than 30 minutes if in motion...gl

StarLyte
08-12-2006, 09:35
I highly recommend Merrill Pulse II Low Cross-Trainers. Aside from being able to handle serious weight (strength, tread durability and shank) they are amazing if you have to hike through water. The Gore-Tex liner combined with the design of the shoe "pumps" water out while you are hiking and dries amazingly quick. These are a huge improvement over the Vasques and many others I have tried.

TTF

Another Merrill lover!!!! I have Merrill Pulse II shoes, and wear Dr. Scholl's high impact pads in them. Feels like I'm walking on air. TRY IT. But the ones you posted in the link state: "Waterproof nubuck and pigskin leather upper".....that might be the difference....HOWEVER....I have walked in water in mine for 3 years now and never once did my feet get soaked. I also am wearing men's; I'm flatfooted (great Appalachian trait) so I can't wear high-arched womens' shoes. BTW I bought mine for $59 on sale.