PDA

View Full Version : Where to go.....

moondoggy
07-31-2006, 12:32
Wife and I are new to backpacking.....we've done some day hikes and plan a couple of overnights locally over the next month to test out our gear...

In early to mid september we like to do a multiple day trip on the AT. I was thinking of one of two starting points. Hapers Ferry or Damascus.....

We're not interested in setting the world on fire, both early 50's...just like to get out for a few days during the mid week.

Any recommendations would really be appreciated...and if theys aren't the best place for a couple of newbies we'd also appreciate that....

Thanks in advance for any replies

hikerjohnd
07-31-2006, 12:41
Watuga Lake north to Damascus is an easy hike and can be completed in a few days - depends on how long you want to be out.

StarLyte
07-31-2006, 12:44
Wife and I are new to backpacking.....we've done some day hikes and plan a couple of overnights locally over the next month to test out our gear...

In early to mid september we like to do a multiple day trip on the AT. I was thinking of one of two starting points. Hapers Ferry or Damascus.....

We're not interested in setting the world on fire, both early 50's...just like to get out for a few days during the mid week.

Any recommendations would really be appreciated...and if theys aren't the best place for a couple of newbies we'd also appreciate that....

Thanks in advance for any replies

I have an excellent idea for the 2 of you. Park in Damascus and have MRO shuttle you up to VA SR 603/Fox Creek 3,480' ele, it's 40 miles north of Damascus, hike south of course. EXCELLENT EVERYTHING. If you want pictures, PM me and I'll send you a link. Do you have a AT guide/data book/etc?

buckhead
07-31-2006, 13:02
Standing Indian is nice. I think you can do a pretty good loop there. The first day's climb may be a little tough.

Non AT place: search the web for Virgin Falls Pocket Wilderness. Great place for an overnight trip.

Amigi'sLastStand
07-31-2006, 13:08
I have an excellent idea for the 2 of you. Park in Damascus and have MRO shuttle you up to VA SR 603/Fox Creek 3,480' ele, it's 40 miles north of Damascus, hike south of course. EXCELLENT EVERYTHING. If you want pictures, PM me and I'll send you a link. Do you have a AT guide/data book/etc?
Listen to this angel.:D ;) Take her advice.

moondoggy
08-01-2006, 08:39
Thanks guys......We'll be heading down Damascus way around the 16th of September. Starlyte Data books and Guides are on order from AT conservancy...should be seeing them any day...
Buckhead I did look into Virgin Falls....that may be #2 before winter....
I can't explain how excited we both are about this underaking......