PDA

View Full Version : Water Purification

jgreene
07-31-2006, 14:38
I may have hit the wrong forum, but what is the word on liquid "stabilized" oxygen to purify water beyond the fact that it may be "snake oil" as far as it's healing properties are concerned.

SGT Rock
07-31-2006, 15:04
Sounds like snake oil for that too. I just read one of the sites that reccomends it (sells it too) and the amount you need is insane for backcountry water:

Purification of questionable water.. .20 drops/8 ounce serving (mountain streams and in Third World countries).

It doesn't even sound efficient to carry the amount you would need even if it did work. Imagine having to purify 2 gallons a day, that would require 32 doses at 20 drops each - 640 drops. A "drop" is about 1/20 a ml, so their 70ml bottle would be enough for about 1400 drops, or about enough for slightly over 2 days hiking.

sarbar
07-31-2006, 17:57
Sounds like snake oil for that too. I just read one of the sites that reccomends it (sells it too) and the amount you need is insane for backcountry water:

It doesn't even sound efficient to carry the amount you would need even if it did work. Imagine having to purify 2 gallons a day, that would require 32 doses at 20 drops each - 640 drops. A "drop" is about 1/20 a ml, so their 70ml bottle would be enough for about 1400 drops, or about enough for slightly over 2 days hiking.
Yikes! I think that would encourage one to use Aquamira ;)