PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a newbie loop

Chainsaw 08
07-31-2006, 15:33
I'm an out-of-shape slob that has the fool idea in my head that I want to do a thru-hike in 2007 or 2008.

I'm also a guy who suddenly has a week free in the middle of August. I'd like to use the time for my first dry run to see if I'm really up for this.

What I'm looking for is a loop trail in the Georgia/NC/Tennessee area that covers about 25-40 miles or so (5-6 newbie days) and is not too hard, but not completely easy either. (It has to be in that area, as I live in Central Florida and want a trailhead I can reach in a day's drive.)

It needs to be a loop as I'll be parking my car and need to return to it. I suppose I could try to hitch back if it's not too far, but I'm leery of not leaving myself enough time and being stuck 50 miles from my car with the clock ticking toward Monday.

Suggestions?

Chainsaw 08
07-31-2006, 15:35
Oh, should have said: it does not have to be part of the AT; in fact I'd prefer if it wasn't.

blackbishop351
07-31-2006, 15:39
There are probably better and closer spots for you, but there's a nice 35-40 mile stretch of the Mountains-to-Sea trail that I like. Goes through the Wilson Creek and Linville Gorge wilderness areas near Linville Falls, NC. It's what I'd call a medium-grade hike. I'm not in great shape, and I could do it in 5 or 6 days pretty easily. It's not a wussy section either though :D

Amigi'sLastStand
07-31-2006, 15:51
Why dont you come to our gathering?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16370&highlight=alexander+springs

You live in Orlando, how funny? It'd be perfect for you.

bigcranky
07-31-2006, 16:14
Nothing wrong with hitting a little of the A.T. on a training hike. The Standing Indian Mountain loop is nice, about 25 miles. You park in the Standing Indian trailhead, near the forest service campground of the same name, off US 64 near Franklin, NC. There are several trails that will get you up to the A.T., and it makes a nice loop. You could extend it a bit with a shuttle up to Winding Stair Gap (or just a lucky hitch). I would want to leave my car at the trailhead lot, get a shuttle to WSG, then hike the AT southbound to Deep Gap, and hike the Kimsey Creek trail back down to the car. This is probably on the order of 30-ish miles. Tough, but not too tough, I think. Get the proper map to figure this out.

Chainsaw 08
07-31-2006, 16:20
Defintely sounds interesting. GD, it'll be hot, though. I will definitely come up and at least go for a stroll. Count me in.

Chainsaw 08
07-31-2006, 16:23
Nothing wrong with hitting a little of the A.T. on a training hike. The Standing Indian Mountain loop is nice, about 25 miles. You park in the Standing Indian trailhead, near the forest service campground of the same name, off US 64 near Franklin, NC. There are several trails that will get you up to the A.T., and it makes a nice loop. You could extend it a bit with a shuttle up to Winding Stair Gap (or just a lucky hitch). I would want to leave my car at the trailhead lot, get a shuttle to WSG, then hike the AT southbound to Deep Gap, and hike the Kimsey Creek trail back down to the car. This is probably on the order of 30-ish miles. Tough, but not too tough, I think. Get the proper map to figure this out.It's funny you mentioned that; it is my fallback plan. I was in that area in March car camping, doing dayhikes and meeting some thrus. If possible, though, I'd like to do somewhere new.

Prosseroo
07-31-2006, 16:37
The Cohutta Wilderness in North GA has a number of trails that can be used to make a loop of several days. Its near Chatsworth, GA. Some of the trails can be tough, though.

Chainsaw 08
08-01-2006, 19:45
The Cohutta Wilderness in North GA has a number of trails that can be used to make a loop of several days. Its near Chatsworth, GA. Some of the trails can be tough, though.Thanks.

Any other suggestions?

Skidsteer
08-01-2006, 20:01
There are some. I suspect that describing yourself as out of shape has dampened the response somewhat.

Most of the non-A.T. loop hikes in N.GA, even those that include some A. T. miles, are marginal for hikers with doubts about physical stamina.

Were you being modest in your self-assessment?

Gray Blazer
08-01-2006, 22:00
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">The Standing Indian area would be my suggestion. It has a couple of tough climbs, but nothing like the rest of the trail in GA and NC. It is about the closest access from FL and has a lot of ridge hiking, great scenery, high elevations, abundant water and a firetower with great views on Albert mountain. I was up there the other day and the temp was a lot cooler than the GA section I hiked the day before I got there.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Chainsaw 08
08-02-2006, 01:23
There are some. I suspect that describing yourself as out of shape has dampened the response somewhat.

Most of the non-A.T. loop hikes in N.GA, even those that include some A. T. miles, are marginal for hikers with doubts about physical stamina.

Were you being modest in your self-assessment?Maybe. I'm not 300 pounds, but I'm certainly not in trail shape.

Put it this way -- I am familiar with the Standing Indian area, and I'm pretty confident I could do 6-8 miles a day right now on that terrain (maybe a little less on tougher).

This trip is not so much a test of my fitness, as a test of how I feel after 6 straight days of lipton, gorp and no showers.