PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs Opinions!

Moondancer
07-31-2006, 17:09
Good Afternoon...

I am a female who weighs 113 pounds soaking wet. I am 4' 9" tall. I have been told that I can only carry a backpack weighing 25 lbs.

I have a cousin who has survival training and he says that because i can only carry 25 lbs I will never be able to walk the AT.

I have always wanted to do this and had just started on researching this when I was told that it would be an impossibility.

I need some opinions on this matter. They would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You in advance

Moondancer

VictoriaM
07-31-2006, 17:16
I'm a female who it a lot taller and heavier than you, but I only plan to carry about 25 pounds. You could probably go even lighter than that. Stick around here, and google ultralight backpacking. Lots of people go super light these days.

Are you planning for next year? I am too. Welcome to WB!

Amigi'sLastStand
07-31-2006, 17:23
BS, there are hikers on here with a base weight of under 17 lbs. You can do it.

hikerjohnd
07-31-2006, 17:26
Sorry - big (as in too fat) man here chiming in - but 25 max is BS - but very doable. My base is 10 lbs and about 25 lbs with 5 days of food and 4 liters of water. I firmly believe you can carry more than 25 lbs if you wanted/needed to - it might feel heavy, but it can be done.

berninbush
07-31-2006, 17:46
If kids as young as six can do it, so can you!

I'm 5'1", but I can carry a full-size pack. It's strength, not weight, that matters. Get a pack that gives you good support, and practice with it, gradually increasing the weight you carry until you're comfortable with it.

You might also look into some gear made for kids. I can fit inside a kid-sized sleeping bag, for instance, which rolls up smaller and lighter than the adult equivalent. It's a tight fit for me and I wouldn't do it on the trail, but I bet you could with no problems. Make your size work to your advantage!

blackbishop351
07-31-2006, 17:53
Your body weight is a good guide, but you'll be surprised how much you can actually carry once you find the right pack. IMHO, your pack's fit is a lot more important than how big you are.

Footslogger
07-31-2006, 17:54
[quote=Moondancer]Good Afternoon...

I am a female who weighs 113 pounds soaking wet. I am 4' 9" tall. I have been told that I can only carry a backpack weighing 25 lbs.
===================================

I'm 5'10" and 160lbs and I carry a pack weighing 25 lbs BY CHOICE !!

'Slogger

The Solemates
07-31-2006, 17:59
My wife is 5'2" and weighed about 125 on our thru. She carried 20-25lbs, which is all you will want to carry, but can easily carry more if called upon to do so.

gumball
07-31-2006, 19:15
I am 5'4" and 114 lbs--I carry a pack, on the first day out, of about 27 to 30 lbs. It goes down as I eat, until I get a chance to resupply. I think I will carry a little more food the next trip out, b/c I need to eat regularly--makes a huge difference in how I hike. Point is, I have a great, lightweight pack and I've learned, the more I hike, the things I really need (food, water, shelter) v. the things I don't need (an endless list). You can do it, trust me.

hammock engineer
07-31-2006, 19:23
Good Afternoon...

I have a cousin who has survival training and he says that because i can only carry 25 lbs I will never be able to walk the AT.

I have always wanted to do this and had just started on researching this when I was told that it would be an impossibility.

Thank You in advance

Moondancer

Another heavy guy chimming in. Don't worry about things. The your not going to make it opinions you are getting sound like some of the opinions I get when I talk about it. Do your research and ask questions here and you will be fine. I am around 20lbs base by choice. I could go light, but I don't want to give some things up. As someone else said, look into kids gear. I have to by XL, XXL, and long everything so I pay a big weight penilty for this.

Welcome to WB.

StarLyte
07-31-2006, 19:26
Hey Moondancer......you can do anything you want if you really want to.

You just need ultra lightweight....and nowadays that isn't a problem at all. Just research your gear.

Your little body will do just fine.

Here's a backpack you might want to check out, I have 2 of them. I carry no more than 25 pounds with everything for 5 days: Solomon Raid Racer 300 (http://www.argear.com/gear/grsalomonraid300.html)
I have the 300 and the 200. The 300 carries everything comfortably. David Jessop, "The Wandering Bull (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3140)" used this pack in Argentina, thru hiked the Florida Trail and the AT with the same pack.

The Raid Racer 300 can definitely be adjusted to your size.

Just a little tidbit.

Moondancer
07-31-2006, 19:29
Thank you everyone for you opinion and support. I do want to do this. I know that it will not be a walk in the park, ha ha, but I think that it would be the experience of a lifetime. Despite my neighbors and relatives telling me that I cannot do this I am going to continue researching and planning. And thanks for the tips and I will be most happy to accept any other suggestions that you may care to send my way. I have been checking into the possibility of childrens sleeping bags since I read that suggestion, and I think it would be a good way to save almost 1 lb, if not more. Again thanks to all for the encouragement. And, thank you for the welcome to WB.

bfitz
07-31-2006, 19:41
I've seen a few no bigger than you, (and a few kids/teens as well) who had no problem carrying more than 30 pounds...everyone who has done it had people telling them they couldn't. People always say that stuff for some reason. Probably just selfishly wanting you to stay around. If one-leg can do it, you can do it. The challenge isn't really physical in nature...You can use the best of the ultralight products and suggestions and incorporate them, but you should still carry enough to be comfortable. After a while everyone figures out what works for them. The hardest thing for you will probably be finding the right pack to fit you. People on here can help you with that....

blackbishop351
07-31-2006, 19:50
I used to carry 50+ lbs of crap I didn't need - in a crappy pack - when I was in Scouts...and I was SMALL...only about 120 lbs back then.

You can do it! Just don't give up! And definitely listen to the guys around here...I learned more 'about going' light in the first couple of days of 'lurking' here than I did the whole time I was in Scouts.

Alligator
07-31-2006, 19:51
With a little research you could can get your pack weight under that no problem. Check out the ultralight forums here at WB. Your cousin is wrong.

Doctari
07-31-2006, 20:43
I have been section hiking for 10 years, A quick rundown of responses I have gotten, and I'm an overthehill fat male:

50% You are doing WHAT? Surely not ALONE!
5% Hey, COOL, I always wanted to do that.
30% That's stupid!! Arn't you afraid of (long list of real & imagined dangers).
25% The WHAT? or What's an AT?

Yes, more than 100% many times I got multiple responses.

Point is, few will actually support you. Of the 5% Cools, at least 50% said the famous "BUT NOT ALONE!" line.

25 Lbs is easily doable. May even be heavy for you. BUT: I do that weight and: my clothing is larger, therefore heavier. I need a larger sleeping bag. & stuff like that. With 4 days food & a liter of H2O, my pack weighs 27 Lbs.

BTW: I'm 210 Lbs, 5'7" & OTD (Older Than Dirt, even tho my profile says I'm only 51) male.

I'm curious as to what your adviser thinks you need to carry or you "CANT DO THE AT".

Doctari.

SGT Rock
07-31-2006, 20:56
Good Afternoon...

I don't know who told you this, but it is probably not true unless you have a bad knee or something and it is a doctor that told you this. An ideal weight goal is 25% of your lean body mass. Since you are a woman, I assume that your lean body mass very well could be 100 pounds - so 25 pounds would be a legitimate goal to work to. That said, you could probably carry up to 50 pounds if you are in good shape and didn't try to make monster miles

Well the AT ain't SEERs school. There are service providers, huts, restaurants, shelters, trail angels, roads, etc. So don't worry about what the survivalist thinks you need. Think of this, your clothing and gear can be smaller than the average hiker because you are smaller than the average hiker. This can help keep your base weight down if you plan it right. Shoot for a 10 pound base weight, give yourself a 2 pound allotment for water, 10 pounds for food, and 3 extra pounds for clothing you wear and you are under a 25 pound weight already. For me (I am a 5'8" 170 pound guy) a 10 pound base is doable, for someone that is smaller it may be even easier to achieve.

Thank You in advance

Moondancer
Impossible, bull****. It will only be impossible if you decide to accept the thinking that it impossible.

Spock
07-31-2006, 21:55
So. More advice from a big guy. But a different angle. I used to take groups of 12 fems on long, tough backpacking trips several times a year and I pack regularly with the estimable medium sized Phriteaux. So here's my $.02 for what it's worth.

First off, don't let anyone discourage you. I've seen outfitters and other supposedly knowledgeable fools try to convince women that they can't do stuff, that their feet are wrong for heavy hiking, that they will get back, shoulder, pinky stress injuries, blah, blah. Dont you believe it. My experience is that women are stronger and more durable on the trail than men. They just aren't (always) foolish enough to keep going when they hurt, that's all. Comes to that, though, women seem to have a higher tolerance for pain and discomfort.

Small size is an advantage. It's basic physics -- body mass increases faster than height, all things being equal. And strength, including structural strength, does not keep up, all things being equal. The bigger they are, the harder they fall. And the smaller you are, the less kinetic energy you will generate when (not if) you fall. You will have fewer injuries and less stress related pain. And not just in falling, god forbid, but also in traversing the rough trail.

In general, the lighter you go, the faster and easier you will go.

Small folks need smaller gear items. Imagine the difference between gear that is sized for you, compared to large clothing, long and wide sleeping quilt, sleeping pad (or hammock),poncho, tarp, etc. All things being equal, your base weight can be lighter for any particular gear selection. The exception is with tents which don't come in sizes, exactly, but there are some that would be roomy for you while cramping a large person.

I agree with Rock that you CAN carry a heavy pack. However, I encourage you to go as light as you can. Again, lighter is faster and easier, and you can keep your base weight (and food weight) much lower than a big person - again, all things being equal.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-31-2006, 22:05
Moondancer, even if you can only carry 25 pounds, you can hike the AT. Go to this thread and look at the weights of ultralight hikers pack, shelter and sleepbag/ pad or hammock. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3983) If they can do it, so can you.
(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3983)

frieden
08-01-2006, 10:01
Good Afternoon...

Thank You in advance

Moondancer

Yep, you're a loser - stay home.

Hahaha! J/K. :welcome Goodness, don't ever listen to boo-hooers. I weigh 101 lbs, and come in at a short 5'5". I don't like size/weight charts for a lot of things, and this is one of them. According to those, Arnold is obese! Size does not equal strength. Just look at those lean martial arts dudes. They have core strength like you wouldn't believe. Check out the Getting in shape thread on the Class of 2007 forum. I've started the shoulder exercises found at the Military.com site, without weight, and it's kicking my tail. Strengthen your core and supporting muscles. Practice with your pack. Check out the book "Power of 10" to avoid injury. You can do it!

See ya out there!

bfitz
08-01-2006, 10:15
Here's one!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15953

Mouse
08-01-2006, 10:19
Most of my thruhike my pack weight was 25 pounds or less. I'd say get the lightest gear you can find that is up to the task, trim away every nonessential you can, and you will do just fine.

Time To Fly 97
08-01-2006, 10:36
I completely agree with Spock's post. These points are right on.

Start strength training early so that you can build up gradually.

I saw three or four hikers your size on my thru-hike and all looked like they were having a blast!

Happy hiking!

TTF

Moondancer
08-01-2006, 15:04
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the encouragement. I can and I am going to do this.
So, my size might be an advantage as I can use smaller gear. Yes, I just have to research, research, research and start exercising. A Woo Hoo!
Going to throw away all the notes that I have taken so far, and start over today.
I am really looking forward to the planing, and the journey. I again, thank you all for your support.

Moondancer:sun

the goat
08-01-2006, 15:10
in '03 there was a nobo thru hiker named "poptart". she was like 4' 10" or something. by the looks of her pack, it was at the very least 25lbs. you might want to check out her trail journal i think she has one at trailjournals.com.

you'll be just fine!

Time To Fly 97
08-01-2006, 17:23
Have fun planning -

Take each component and see if you can cut weight -

I recommend using leki hiking poles to support a tarp. I thru-hiked with this and loved it. You fall asleep looking at the stars or the rain instead of the side of a tent. I used a mesquito net for a single sized cot (Campmor) just tied inside for buggy summer evenings.

I haven't tried this (because I have so many extra fuel canisters in storage), but the soda can stoves make HUGE sense.

Ray Jardine and PCT hiker pages are another great source of information. They will get you thinking about what gear/weight is really necessary...you won't need to be this extreme, but you'll have the option.

Make this hike happen and you with thank yourself for the rest of your life and you will truly know what it is like to experience joy for 6 months.

Happy hiking!

TTF

SGT Rock
08-01-2006, 17:41
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the encouragement. I can and I am going to do this.
So, my size might be an advantage as I can use smaller gear. Yes, I just have to research, research, research and start exercising. A Woo Hoo!
Going to throw away all the notes that I have taken so far, and start over today.
I am really looking forward to the planing, and the journey. I again, thank you all for your support.

Moondancer:sun

Keep on coming back Moondancer and see what else we can do to help. Light loads, gear recommendations, etc. We're always out to help fellow hikers be successful. What year are you planning to hike?

Cuffs
08-01-2006, 17:44
Moon,

My only question to you is... who told you that you could only carry 25lbs? Was it a medical doctor or chiropractor? Or was it just other people you know making this decision / statement for you?

If its a medical person, you may need to heed them more closely. If it anyone else, you need to test your own limits...

firefly
08-01-2006, 19:22
YOU GO GYRL....In the good ole days I could easily haul 45 lbs...I was 5'1 and 121 lbs. I had a fabulous pack though...a Dana Terraplane...it made a BIG difference. Now I am a bucket of bolts...bad back...rebuilt feet..artifical achillies tendons..ect ect ect. I am NOT supposed to be able to backpack but was unable to give up my addiction :) I am back on the trail again thanks to this website and the tons of helpful advice I have gotten from everybody. I have to go as light as possible and I have tried out most of the options out there. I have some suggestions for you:
A: Read Ray Jardines "Beyond Backpacking..realize that some of his ideas will not work for you BUT you will learn alot about lightweight backpacking and you will learn to think out of the box to find your own solutions.
B: Try to get the lightest possible gear that will work for you that you can afford...tarps are great..but some people need privacy..a floor and some protection from bugs..I currently own 2 tarptents..a single person Lunar Solo and a 2 person Squall Classic...they each weigh apprx 1.5 lbs BUT that does not include the treking pole required to pitch it with. If you do not use poles they may not be the best solution for you. Because you are so short you can get a kids bag..be very careful there though because some of the insulation is not very thick...I use Western Mountaineering Bags..SHORT size...my HIGHLITE weighs 14oz.
C: ask questions on this board...these people are GREAT and they are full of good ideas. I wanted to give up my water filter for Aqua Mirra (saving a pound) but I could not figure out how to fill my platy bottles easily from a spring. I posted a question on this board and was advised to use a cup or a cookpot to dip and pour with...DUH!!!

Moondancer
08-01-2006, 21:47
:-? Well, yes indeedy I intend to keep coming back for opinions, pointers and ideas and advice. I have found this website and this thread most interesting and informative.

I don't think that I mentioned that I am 61 years old. I am in excellent health and have never had any health problems. I hid have 2nd degree burns to my right hand so I do have to "protect" it from sunburn but otherwise never had any health problems. I used to camp on the weekends and attend Pow Wows, but that was a long time ago and I see camping is a lot different than backpacking.

I was talking to my cousin about hiking the AT. He is a few years older than I am. He is the person who told me tht based on my height and weight I could only carry 25 pound total gear. He also told me that at 25 pounds of gear I was almost eliminated from backpacking.

As I said, about 15 years ago was the last time that I did any major camping and that was camping not backpacking. The gear ws heavy because you go there and worked from the base camp.

I really want to do this but I am beginning to think that either my cousin wants to discourage me by saying this or maybe his imformation about what I need for gear is more outdated than my camping gear.

At any rate I do not know but I definitely want to do this. From what I am reading the only thing that I see that might be problems is that I need to reseach and prepare to ultralight. I hate cold so I do not want to scimp on tent or sleeping bag, don't care about the fancy food. I lost my home several years ago to 3 hurricanes in a row so I lived in a tent for 3 months, lived on stuff that I would think might be the same as I would need to pack. I want to keep up good nutrition, see the country on foot, meet new people and have fun. I would like to make the hike in March 2007 Northbound, but I have many things I need to do to get my duckies in a row and then prepare, so in all reality I think that I will plan on March 2008. However, i f things move along well, who knows maybe I will be ready in 2007. I am flexible, when I am ready I am ready. I am flexible.

Thanks again all my new friends for you comments and encouragement.

Almost There
08-01-2006, 23:21
Also try hiking in trailrunners, lots of people will say you need boots based upon the kind of pack you're carrying, but that's bull as well. Compared to boots trailrunners leave your feet feeling lighter and easier to pick up at the end of the day. Just HYOH and you'll be fine!

hammock engineer
08-02-2006, 00:24
Someone on this site said this and it really made sense it me. Hiking the AT is like a lot of 3 and 4 day hikes right next to each other. So if you can make it though one 4 day hike, then you can thru hike the AT. Good Luck. I hope to see you out there next year.

Time To Fly 97
08-02-2006, 10:24
Age is irrelevant. My grandfather got re-married when he was 92. : )

TTF

Moondancer
08-02-2006, 12:53
Well, thank you. I always said that age is irrelevant. I always say you are as old as you feel and I feel pretty young. I am so glad that this forum has so many nice people who think as I do, that I can do this.

My cousin whome I have not seen since high schools days i might add, keeps telling me that I will not make it and that i am waiting time and energy and money to try. He has not said that point blank but by his input and remarks I can translate it.

My lady friends and neighbors cannot understand why I want to do it. They keep talling me it would be much nicer to stay in my cozy mobile home. I do not fault them for wanting to do this but for me I look at it like sitting in a sardine can (don't get me wrong I love my mobile home, but...) and waiting to die. They tell me that I have lost my mind and that I am too old. My doctor says just protct the skin on the burned hand and use common sense. But he also says he does not understand why I want to do this. So, in short, my new friends on this forum are the only encouragement and support that I am getting.

In short, thank you again!

hammock engineer
08-02-2006, 13:04
My cousin whome I have not seen since high schools days i might add, keeps telling me that I will not make it and that i am waiting time and energy and money to try. He has not said that point blank but by his input and remarks I can translate it.

My lady friends and neighbors cannot understand why I want to do it. They keep talling me it would be much nicer to stay in my cozy mobile home. I do not fault them for wanting to do this but for me I look at it like sitting in a sardine can (don't get me wrong I love my mobile home, but...) and waiting to die. They tell me that I have lost my mind and that I am too old. My doctor says just protct the skin on the burned hand and use common sense. But he also says he does not understand why I want to do this. So, in short, my new friends on this forum are the only encouragement and support that I am getting.

I had a good laugh reading this. Not because of your age, but the reactions that you are getting. These are pretty much the same things that people are telling me. I have been told that I won't like it, probibly get hurt, and I would be better off to spend my time and money doing something else.

I think it just goes to show that regaurdless of age, people who do not understand what hiking and the outdoors is for us will always question what you do and try to talk you out of it.

Just do what I do. Don't listen to any of them.

bfitz
08-02-2006, 16:45
Everybody I know who hikes has a bunch of friends and relatives telling them it's crazy, dangerous, impossible, or whatever...a lot of this stems from ignorance, as well as selfish reasons, possibly envy as well. If you could see some of the people who get out there and do it, you'd know you can too. From overweight, to small, to disabled (blind! one legged!!!) to illnesses ranging from diabetes to cancer, from elderly folks as old as 87 years to children as young as six, I've seen it all. If you lived in a tent for 3 months then you're already halfway there...it's your attitude and mental attributes that differentiate from non-hikers, not physical ability....

gumball
08-02-2006, 17:31
When we first started hiking, we hiked a section of the Adirondack trails--Pharoah Mountain, I think. I was complaining, (hadn't caught the AT bug yet, carrying way too much weight for my own good)...we ran into a group of people on our way to the top--not older people, elderly people--and one woman, kind of bent over, with two walking canes (not trekking poles) was slowly, but surely, moving up that damned mountain without a word of complaint. She had to have been in her 80's, easily. And she made it to the top. And it was no sissy climb.

What a humbling experience. I felt such gratitude that I was able to walk upright, able to enjoy the beauty around me, and henceforth made no further complaints about the gift I'd been given that day--I can walk!! And so can you--that woman was a real lesson to me. Never stop moving--don't worry Moondancer, you can do it. And you'll LOVE it!!!! :)

Spock
08-02-2006, 19:59
Moondancer
There are lots of good backpacking books by women for women. Be sure to take a look at them. Some things that work for guys really don't work well for women, but there have been serious, hard-hiking woodswomen for over a generation now, and there is a lot to learn from them.

Please, don't hesitate to ask questions. This forum is ruled by guy who suffer from the GUY'S ANSWER SYNDROM.... Give us a chance.

bfitz
08-02-2006, 20:59
...but there have been serious, hard-hiking woodswomen for over a generation now...A whole generation, eh? Remarkable!:D

Heater
08-03-2006, 07:46
from Willow's (97 lbs) Trail journal.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=131771

It's been an incredible struggle to keep my faith in myself. One of my techniques for coping has been to continue to reduce my pack weight. I've gone from a base weight (no fuel, food, or water) of 24lbs (at Charles house on the bathroom scales) to 18lbs 4oz on a digital scale today at Diamond Brand! Loaded, with 5 days worth of food and fuel, but no water, my pack is at 26lbs 8oz. That means that with 1 1/2 liters of water (about what I usually carry) I'll still be under 30lbs! I cut every piece of extra off my pack. My pack weighed 4lbs 8oz. now it weighs 3lbs10oz empty. I took off the top of the pack, all the buckles and straps I wasn't using, the inside divider, the inside water carrier pouch and buckles. I lost the thermarest, the water filter, winter clothes, two heavy stuff sacks and the Tevas. I picked up aquamira, ultralight stuff sacks, and clogs. I changed my pot for a pan, changed my half liter nalgene for a gatorage bottle, and am using only a foam pad(thinsulite) to sleep on. Comfort may change that later, but that's what I'm trying for now. I put (almost)all my incidentals in a bounce box, which I will send to myself at each mail drop along the way. My head is trying to indulge itself in self-pity for losing the last of the luxuries. I'm fighting it; sometimes I'm winning, sometimes I'm losing. It **** to be 97lbs and at such a disadvantage. The 175lb guys can have the luxuries because they can carry them; I simply can't. I resent that, but a bad attitude isn't going to help me in any way. We all have to carry our own ****, whether we are traveling the RiverStix or entering the pearly gates, I suppose. Where are your priorities?

-Willow

HapKiDo
08-04-2006, 18:51
If you can make it to the ALDHA Gathering (see link on WB home page) this year, come. You'll learn a lot about lightweight backpacking. If it turns out that you can't start in 2007, come up to Damascus, VA, for Trail Days (the weekend after Mother's Day, kicks off that Thursday). More lightweight gear demonstrations there.

When I'm searching, I usually froogle for gear or do a google-image of what I want to research.

You might want to look at Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends sleeping bags. They do have some 'short' bags and you can have them overstuffed for extra warmth. I'd say you should be able to find a zero (or 10*) bag at 1.5 or 1.75 pounds. I think they 'make to order' too.

If you can sew, you could make your own tent. If not, there are a lot of websites which sell light tents -- silnylon or parachute cloth is light weight. If you don't like bugs, get a light tarp/tent. If you don't mind, a short silnylon tarp and some no-see-um netting will work. I'd say stay right at 2 lbs for tent and minimum stakes (you'll probably carry more or improvise if necessary).

The MOST important thing about the pack is that it FIT you. Are you long waisted or short waisted? What's the measurement from the nape of your neck to the top of your hips? That determines "approximate" pack size. Sometimes a pack that's supposed to fit doesn't. Just keep looking.

Finding a good outfitter down in Florida may be hard to do. If you use the mail order catalogues: Campmor, Sierra Trading Post, Northern Mountain Supply, REI and REI-outlet, all have GREAT RETURN policies. And I've returned to all of those. So don't feel bad if you get something and it just doesn't 'fit' -- don't wear it outside -- but just mail it back and try something else.

Zappos is a good online shoe store. I agree that you won't need heavy boots -- I'm using Garmonts mid-hikers (goretex) because I want a little more stiffness in the sole. The Garmont women sizes are made with a small heel cup -- and be sure someone who KNOWS fits you in a hiking shoe. (if, before you lace up, they don't ask you to get on your knees and tap tap tap your toes into the toebox so they can check to see if you have a 'finger width' of space between your heel and the back of the boot, they don't really know how to fit a hiking shoe [or boot]) A too short boot will cost you five -- or less -- toenails. Not a pretty sight.

The rest of the gear is pretty much whatever you like -- there are alcohol stove directions all over the internet. A bottle to carry the alcohol can be a free medicine bottle from the pharmacy or an 8 oz drink bottle or whatever suits your fancy. Esbit is my choice and LWGear has the heat tabs which are similar and less expensive. If you want to simmer, Primus has a "multi-fuel" stove that does (unlike the MSR 'simmerlite' which doesn't). Water treatment or filter or purifier -- your choice depending on what your personal needs are. From a few ounces to just over a pound. Since I have FMS and am on some prescriptions, I'm using an inline filter from Sawyer. Rain gear -- I'm using a silnylon anorak and a plastic bag 'skirt' -- there are lots of choices out there.

If you can locate a copy of Lynne Whelden's "Lightweight Backpacking Secrets Revealed" I highly recommend his video/dvd. You can watch it over and over and still learn something new.

If you start out the middle of March in 2007, see you on the Trail!!
HapKiDo

jollivee
03-16-2009, 09:22
I agree.. your weight does not even matter but it's how much you can carry. I hope you'll truly enjoy your hiking..!

__________________________________________________ __
Everything you need to know about Tours of Sedona Arizona (http://explorearizonatours.com/sedona.php)

Doc
03-16-2009, 09:36
Another guy chiming in. I saw your location and have a friend and fellow hiker who lives in Sebring. He also is concerned about weight when he joins me this Spring as I finish my last section. PM if you are interested in his contact information.

Lilred
03-16-2009, 15:15
have you folks noticed the date of this thread? It's dated 2006....

mindi
03-16-2009, 18:16
Bah, you can carry more than that if you have to. I'm 4'11" and I weighed about 115 when I hit the trail. I had a big clunky men's backpack that didn't fit at all, and I was up to around 35 pounds with food and water. I did fine.

George
03-16-2009, 19:02
all of the childrens sleeping bags I have seen are heavy for the size you should be able to find some great deals in a good down womens short bag and I do not think there is any reason(if you hike in prime season) that you should ever have 25# total,skin out

Rain Man
03-17-2009, 10:30
have you folks noticed the date of this thread? It's dated 2006....

Not only did some not read the date, but others didn't read the RULE at the top of each page in this thread--

"This is for female hikers only to discuss female issues."

So, what are males doing here in the first place, and more, ... why do the Moderators also ignore their own rule and fail to enforce it???? Enforce the rule, or remove it. One or the other.

Rain:sunMan

dixicritter
03-17-2009, 11:30
Not only did some not read the date, but others didn't read the RULE at the top of each page in this thread--

"This is for female hikers only to discuss female issues."

So, what are males doing here in the first place, and more, ... why do the Moderators also ignore their own rule and fail to enforce it???? Enforce the rule, or remove it. One or the other.

Rain:sunMan

Once again Rain Man here are the rules for this forum found here... Welcome to the Female Hiking Forum. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12432)

The purpose of this forum is for all females to ask questions and gather information from each other.

Currently this is an open forum. So with that in mind, if you are a male reading this, please refrain from making rude, crude or otherwise distracting posts here.

Any poster that gets out of line will be warned either on the thread or via private message. If the behavior continues the poster will be banned from posting in this forum permanently.

Says nothing about men not posting at all as you can see. :)

berninbush
03-25-2009, 10:14
Wow, this three-year-old thread got resurrected by someone with only two posts...

But the million-dollar question is, did MD make the hike??? I hope so! I'm cheering for her.

Moondancer
11-11-2009, 12:55
No, Moondancer did not make the hike, YET ! I am hoping to be in the Class of 2012. I am still struggling trying to learn everything that I need to know to be ready for this, and also to save enough money to do this. My latest confusion is if I should hike Northbound or Southbound. Trying to find information as to the advantages. Any comments ?

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 13:37
Good Afternoon...

Thank You in advance

Moondancer

There is no limit to what you're allowed to carry- no one sets your rules of your hike. But, carrying a pack that is normal for someone my size (with which I am comfortable) may be too much for you. But it all depends on you. If you carry a 25 pound pack, you'll get used to it. If you carry a 35 pound pack, you'll get used to it (though it'll still be heavy on the PUDS)

As for your cousin you says it is impossible to hike with 25 pounds or less, HA! Ever heard of Ray Jardine? Super ultra light hiker. I think he got down to what, 8 pounds?

The simple fact is, you need what is comfortable for you. I carry a heavier pack (as a 5' 5" female, weight between 150-165, last time I checked) because I like to be comfortable when I'm done hiking for the day. I carry things that would make Ray Jardine vomit. But he'd rather hike light, and compromise in camp. I'd rather compromise on the weight an live in luxury. (Well, luxury for a hiker, anyway!)

What you need to do is hike, see what you need and learn what weight you can tolerate and be moderately comfortable with.

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 13:38
Ya know, I only just realized that the original post was from about 4 years ago? I hope someone finds my post useful... :(

ShelterLeopard
11-11-2009, 13:45
No, Moondancer did not make the hike, YET ! I am hoping to be in the Class of 2012. I am still struggling trying to learn everything that I need to know to be ready for this, and also to save enough money to do this. My latest confusion is if I should hike Northbound or Southbound. Trying to find information as to the advantages. Any comments ?

As for NoBo vs. SoBo- it all depends on you. It also depends on when you start. If you take both at the average starting time then:

There are more NoBos, and more of what you typically "expect" of the trail. (Open hostels, hiker feeds, etc...)

With SoBos, there are fewer of them, and often times they keep to themselves more than NoBos. I've also heard, however that though SoBos are more solitary, they make firmer friendships. (I've heard from a bunch of people, actually)

You are on the same trail, but both the people and some of the places are a bit different. (Places in that a couple hiker hostels and all that cater more to northbounders, because there are so many more of them)

But, as I've never hiked with SoBos, I can't say firsthand.

What are you looking for in your hike?

Blissful
11-11-2009, 21:25

NOBO is usually the way most people go - favorable conditions for hiking, lots of trail buddies, full trail services and trail magic galore (and a great outfitter only four days out to shake down your gear). SOBO you have extremely tough terrain right off the bat for a good month, no outfitter to redo your gear if it's not working out, black flies, more limited trail services, less people. If you are comfortable with your gear (not likely needing to change something) and with different hiking conditions in general (insects, unpredictable weather, tough terrain), no reason you can't enjoy a SOBO hike.

Spokes
11-11-2009, 23:30
Yes you can do it. Look no further than this article in Backpacker Magazine (especially the breakdown on page 4).

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659

Good luck!

Marta
11-12-2009, 07:21

25 lbs. or less? Sure you can do it. Come on up to Trail Days one of these years and look at the lightweight gear available. As a small person, your clothes are smaller, your sleeping bag is smaller, your tent can be smaller, you eat less food, and so on. Of course the most important thing about going light is what you leave out of your pack. Taking repeated short overnight trips and making notes on what you DON'T use can help you cut down your load more than any book or website can.

NOBO or SOBO? Given your age and gender and the fact that you say you are inexperienced (and from Florida), I would recommend a NOBO start, with the option to flipflop. The mountains of Maine are a formidable challenge at the start of a SOBO hike. Add that to the fact that all the other SOBOs will be young, and mostly male...you'll probably be happier going NOBO. If you flipflop, you can extend the hiking season so you don't have to rush.

I would strongly recommend as many preliminary hikes as you can manage between now and 2012--three day to week-long sections of the AT. You can get a lot of the painful learning out of the way so your Big Hike doesn't end because of something like a blister.

ohmeringue
11-29-2009, 15:17
Moondancer -

Don't listen to anyone but yourself( naysayers are nasty and can hold you back) - ....take sound advice, There are many trail towns for you to buy foods, rest up, and meet with other hikers. Trail support will be great and always forthcoming. Get your basic needs and put it in a pack...train, and you are off and running and can face anything Mother nature has in store for you.

I am a 65 year old female, by the way, and am heading out March 15, 2010 from Springer....hope to see you out there.

Oh meringue

Lyle
11-29-2009, 15:50
Back in 1980 I hiked with a man who used to boast that he weighed 125# wringing wet. He managed to hike every step of the way from San Francisco to Lewes, Delaware, some 4300 miles (including 500 miles on the AT). He did not miss a day or a single mile. He did this carrying a pack loaded with gear that was much heavier than what we have today. He celebrated his 69th birthday on the trip.

Yes, you can hike the AT if you want.

Lilred
11-30-2009, 17:13
only you know if your age will hold you back. check out Model-T's website. He was 70 when he hiked the AT for the third time. The oldest thru hiker was 82. If you can walk, you can hike the AT.

ShelterLeopard
11-30-2009, 18:12
Anyway, I think "old" is extremely relative- all depends on the person, and most hikers I know are not "old" even if they're 75.

I know the truth- everyone who says "I'm old, I'll hike slowly" is just trying to lull us younger'uns into a false sense of security, then when we're out of breath after the last climb, WHOOSH. They're passing us and getting the best spots in the shelter. HA! I know your game!!!

drifters quest
11-30-2009, 20:57
I know a little in her mid 70's who still rides her horse on 100 mile endurance rides ;) NOT easy to trot 15 hours on a horse, trust me!

Dancer
12-08-2009, 17:57
In Maryland I ran into a thru hiker. She was probably 5' 6" but I imagine she didn't weigh more than 114. Her pack, however, was probably around 35 lbs and she was finishing up in Front Royal. Best way to find out is get out there and see how you do with more than 25 lbs