PDA

View Full Version : Lost ID

Grampie
08-01-2006, 09:50
I'm looking for some help or suggestions on this:
While caretaking at Upper Goose Pond Cabin a thru-hiker, from Kentucky, had lost her drivers licence, credit card and all her ID. She put a stop on the credit card but she will need a picture ID to purchase a plane ticket to return home.
She has contacted the Kentucky MVD and they will not issue a new ID unless she returns for a photo. My advise was; get a copy of her birth certificate and than ask advise from a city clerk in a town along the way.
Has anyone had this problem and if so how was it solved. I will pass on any info. I receive.

hikerjohnd
08-01-2006, 10:32
Is there another photo ID at home someone could send? I lost my license while hiking and had my wife send me my college ID which was acceptable for buying a plane ticket (it helped that the airport was small and hiker friendly) - the ticket agent agreed since the ID came from a state school it was acceptable. This was, however, before 9-11 so...

Alligator
08-01-2006, 10:58
Maybe the hiker could get an alternate county i.d.? The kind they give to people who don't have a license but are over 21. The regs may not be as strict as for needing to be a resident. Just a thought.

Passport available?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-01-2006, 11:39
A passport would work. So would a military id if she has one. Since she will have 'resided in Maine' for a couple of weeks by the time she summits Kathadin, she may be able to use a certified copy of her birth certificate and a non-photo ID card from KY to get a ME state ID card. Perhaps a hiker living in ME would allow her to use their mailing address.

http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/licenses/idcard.html

Maine State Identification Cards

Any person who is a Maine resident, or a nonresident temporarily domiciled in the State with a mailing address in the State may apply for an official state non-driver identification card.
State Identification Cards are issued at all motor vehicle branch offices. The fee is $5.00.
Please bring with you two of the following documents for identification. One must indicate your date of birth and the other must bear your written signature.

Driver's License

Driver's Permit

Driver Education Card

Social Security Card

Passport

Birth Certificate

Military ID Card

Military Dependent ID Card

Citizenship Papers

Divorce Papers

Certificate of Marriage

Baptismal Records

Court Order

School Records/Transcript (certified)

Unemployment Card

Concealed Weapons Permit

Adoption Papers

mrc237
08-01-2006, 14:26
I once lost my ID while visiting Dallas. I already had a ticket. I went directly to secuity and satated my problem. After a thorough search and Q&A I was allowed to board the plane. If she can get someone to purchase her ticket she has a chance. My guess is that it happens all the time.