PDA

View Full Version : An AT project

StarLyte
08-01-2006, 09:51
I am taking on a project of documenting (filming) hikers from all walks of life--thru hikers, sectioners, day hikers, AND more importantly the AT Community, in particular AT hostel, guest house owners and caretakers. Their lives, the hikers visiting, and what life is really like around the AT. Not just any hikers, hikers of unusual qualities and backgrounds.

This is a personal LEISURE project. There is no money or profit involved here. My objective: to share this with the AT community, with you.

Your input would be appreciated in private emails to me: [email protected] but not limited to, as I'm sure others would like to read what you have to say here.

I am NOT interested in sponsored hikes, or hiking-for-a-cause, but am interested in people like this:
click here (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=149571)
.....Bob Peoples, Janet Hensley, Jim & Ginny Owen, Spur and Ready, Weathercarrot, JoJo Smiley, Stumpknocker, MrsGorp, Baltimore Jack, Tricks and many others. My plans for next year will be mostly time spent in Maine with a few other New England interests.

Should you feel that you have something interesting, you can send it to me without request of advertisement, or of political or religious agenda.

My passion for this evolved from meeting so many different hikers and hostel/guest house owners. There are many of you out there that are not able to experience this, whether it's because you live too far, handicap, elderly, and children. This is a gift to you.

My website is under construction because it's so detailed, and there will be an area there for contributors as well as mailing lists for recipients of the DVD. I will make that announcement soon.

I will update my progress here every so often. Much love to many of you that work hard in providing a positive AT experience, especially if you are unknown to many-you know who you are. Much love to the Earl Shaffer family. I am taking Earl's pith helmet with me wherever I go.

Thanks-
Marsha "StarLyte"

TOW
08-01-2006, 09:57
right on!!!!!!!!

Footslogger
08-01-2006, 10:03
Knowing YOU Starlyte ...this will be an overwhelming success !!

All the best ...

'Slogger

frieden
08-01-2006, 10:07
This sounds great, StarLyte! Anything I can do to help, let me know!

the goat
08-01-2006, 10:11
that's a great idea, StarLyte! sounds like it'll be fun too, i wish you the best of luck!:sun

attroll
08-01-2006, 12:38
You know if you need anything we are here to help. That is what it is all about. Helping the AT community.

Let me know when your in Maine next year. I would like to hock up with you for a bit.

bfitz
08-01-2006, 13:09
What's a pith-helmet?

StarLyte
08-01-2006, 13:24
You know if you need anything we are here to help. That is what it is all about. Helping the AT community.

Let me know when your in Maine next year. I would like to hock up with you for a bit.

Dear attroll.....I know this already: the kindness the AT and it's community has shown me is more than anyone or anything has in my entire 49 years on this planet. I am so overwhelmed by it all.....it has made me a better person, and I compelled to share my happiness.

And Dude, here is a picture of Earl's pith helmet (http://www.earlshaffer.com/aboutearl.html). The one you are viewing is in the Smithsonian. I have another one of his pith helmets, won the auction off eBay. After I play with it for a few more years, I'll donate it to Appalachian Trail Museum. At the Rucks we take turns wearing it. Wonder what Earl would think. I'll have to ask him next time I go to Ironmasters Mansion---he hangs around there.

Lugnut
08-01-2006, 13:29
What's a pith-helmet?

A dome shaped hard hat with a brim like Ramar of the jungle wore.

Footslogger
08-01-2006, 13:50
A dome shaped hard hat with a brim like Ramar of the jungle wore.
==================================

Now there's a name I haven't heard in decades "Ramar of the Jungle"

Lugnut ...you're dating yourself.

'Slogger

bfitz
08-01-2006, 14:40
Ah...I've seen those...like on old Tarzan movies...

Jack Tarlin
08-01-2006, 14:56
Bfitz:

If you're interested, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pith_helmet which will tell you everything you need to know, including the surprise fact that they are called "Pith helmets" because they are made out of pith.

Who knew?

bfitz
08-01-2006, 15:03
Pith, interesting word..... so then I started wondering about the link between the word pith and the word pithy.. my etymological lesson of the day, thanks Jack.

Cookerhiker
08-01-2006, 15:05
Good luck with your project - sounds like fun. There's a lot of material out there - this site, TrailJournals, other sources. How are you narrowing it all down? I guess you'd like photos?

bfitz
08-01-2006, 15:06
Er...I hope you I get to wear it sometime, StarLyte!