PDA

View Full Version : Beech Gap Campsites??

Peak2Peak
08-01-2006, 20:05
2006 edition of Thru Hiker's Companion does not show campsites at Beech Gap in North Carolina (about 3 miles north of Standing Indian Mtn). However, I seem to recall seeing in other guides that there are campsites at Beech Gap, albeit with an unreliable water source. Comments?

generoll
08-01-2006, 20:22
it's been a year since i was there, but the water was to the north of the trail past the large fallen tree. i've never camped there, but it's been on my list of possibles. i just always ended up at one of the shelters. looks like a decent spot to camp though.

Skidsteer
08-01-2006, 20:25
2006 edition of Thru Hiker's Companion does not show campsites at Beech Gap in North Carolina (about 3 miles north of Standing Indian Mtn). However, I seem to recall seeing in other guides that there are campsites at Beech Gap, albeit with an unreliable water source. Comments?

It's slap full of campsites. Water to the left and right of the trail. Never seen either sources dry. YMMV.

Can be buggy this time of year and trashy at times.

Gray Blazer
08-01-2006, 22:11
We've camped there before. Last week we drove to the top of Albert and camped in the parking lot. Big wow I know. I'd rather camp for free than shell out bucks for a campsite.