PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie with some gear suggestions

DonQuixote
08-01-2006, 22:07
Hey everyone, This will be my second post and I already LOVE this site. Thanks to everyone for the wonderful atmosphere I have found!

I need some help getting started, on a budget. I'm a college student, so the biggest factor is money, I'm not going to let a few extra pounds stop me from enjoying the woods.

That being said, I am trying to hike as much as possible and gear-up for the AT in 2009! I got the itch when I was 10, the first time I heard about it. We were at the top of clingman's dome, and I told my mother that I wanted to walk through the mountains, and not stay in the silly commercial-esque campgrounds. Later that day I found out about the AT, and was hooked. I get goosebumps any time I think about it!

Ok, back to the gear. I'm going to put a list of some things I have, in hopes that the more experienced here can give me some ideas about what's good, what's bad, and what I could do to lower my weight or generally improve my hike. Just remember the college student budget. I am crafty, and am also interested in making my own gear if it is more cost-effective.

Here goes (weights are approximate and guessed... I don't have a scale):

Pack: Old Jansport External frame + rainfly
Tent: North Face Tephra 22 with MSR TI groundhog stakes, ~4-4.5 lbs. ($50 on sale)
Bag: Nebo Mummy bag, I think it's +30 or +40, ~3-4 lbs
Pad: Coleman Reast Easy 4oz.
Boots: North Face Mt. Tam Mids, 2 lbs
Shirt: Breathable Moisture Wicking sport type from Goodwill
Shorts: Old Navy board shorts
Stove: Coleman F1 Ultralight, 2.7 oz.
Pole: Swiss Gear adjustable aluminum
Knife: ~3.5" fixed blade with thin rope wrapped around the tang instead of normal scales
Light: Coleman Widebeam headlamp

emergency whistle/match case
2 bandanas
magnesium fire starter
waterproof matches
small first aid kit (moleskine, pills, gauze, bandaids, etc.)
nylon cord
map compass
coleman watch
AA maglight with LED kit
Old aluminum 1 qt. pot from Target
100 oz Camelback
1 L nalgene
Micropure tablets
Goldbond
Regular hardware store tarp
Camp Soap
Knee brace
Stainless Knife/fork/spoon set
extra batteries
wet wipes
windproof lighter

I have some old nylon/lycra shorts I used to run in, I was thinking that for under shorts? I chaff a lot
What suggestions for socks? I've always just used thick cotton ones. But I know cotton is evil.

I think that's about it... I'm thinking about making my own tarp and possibly a hammock and/or quilt, if I can do it affordably. Thoughts?

Be nice, I'm new and I'm poor.

Skidsteer
08-01-2006, 22:13
Welcome DonQuixote! :welcome

You'll likely get some good specifics from the gear list experts here.

Be sure to check out this article (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=206678&postcount=1)if you're on a budget.

DonQuixote
08-01-2006, 22:19
I think I've read that twice! Some great ideas for sure.

I've been lurking about for a few weeks, even before joining. Since I found this site I am even more stoked about the trail! I can't wait!

I tried Fontana Lake to Clingman's Dome last weekend with my girlfriend, but she got hurt and we had to turn back.

I'm going to try it again in two weeks before I resign myself to the school year. I feel like I'm living hike to hike.

Phreak
08-01-2006, 22:24
I personally prefer internal frame packs but this is a personal preference.

Tent: North Face Tephra 22 with MSR TI groundhog stakes, ~4-4.5 lbs. ($50 on sale)
I'd suggest something in the 2-3 pound range. I prefer hammocks as I don't need to carry a sleeping pad when I'm using my HH.

I'd look for something warmer and lighter. +15 or +20 in the 2 pound range.

Boots will work, tho I prefer trail runners.

Any wicking shirt will do

These can do... but I'd get some decent zip-off pants

Get a good headlamp in place of a flashlight

Drop the tarp if you are packing a tent

I have some old nylon/lycra shorts I used to run in, I was thinking that for under shorts? I chaff a lot
I'd wear these shorts in place of the board shorts if those are your only option

What suggestions for socks? I've always just used thick cotton ones. But I know cotton is evil.
I love Wrightsocks CoolMesh. They have a built-in liner and are lightweight

I think that's about it... I'm thinking about making my own tarp and possibly a hammock and/or quilt, if I can do it affordably. Thoughts?
Once you go to a hammock, you'll sell your tent(s). :D I got my Hennessy Hammock Ultralight Hammock for $17.00 at an REI Scratch & Dent sale. I used to work for REI and people always return them because they can't figure out the knot to tie it to the tree. So I'd recommend hitting one of these sales.. you're certain to get one at a great price.

Everything else on your list will do.

Skidsteer
08-01-2006, 22:35
-Trade out the magnesium firestarter and weatherproof lighter for a bic-or two
-You can do without the maglite if you have a headlamp
- A spoon is plenty to eat with
-Gatorade bottle instead of the Nalgene

I assume this is your summer gearlist?

Cotton is evil especially for feet. I like Smartwool but there are many quality brands. Look in Wal-Mart for synthetic socks made for diabetics if you're trying to save money.

DonQuixote
08-01-2006, 22:36
Most of the main pieces of gear I can't afford to replace. Thus the 20+ y/o pack, heavier tent ( I need the 2- person typically), and heavier bag. It's all just what I have.

What do most people do for underwear? Anything?

DonQuixote
08-01-2006, 22:37
Yes this is summer, although suggestions for 3-season/winter applications are welcome.

Skidsteer
08-01-2006, 22:41
What do most people do for underwear? Anything?

Some people don't bother with it at all(less chafing). ;)

Almost There
08-01-2006, 23:12
If worried about chafing...invest in a stick of bodyglide!!! I swear by it, I used to chafe until bleeding...not anymore!

dloome
08-01-2006, 23:56
Hey didn't I run into you at Lakes Hut in the white mountains with two other guys? I remember the old navy board shorts, weren't you hiking in reebok sandals?
My comments are marked with a "*"

*with the technical terrain on many parts of the AT I think an internal is a better choice. if you have limited funds i'd make this more of a priority. sierra trading post is great for cheap, usually decent packs. golite makes some great inexpensive packs- Gust, Jam

*you could always use your hardware store tarp, poles and a little rope to set up a lean-to. this'll work in nearly all conditions, if it's really nasty, it's the AT. head for a shelter. see very bottom of my post for more details.

*check sierra trading post, froogle, or ebay, TONS of decent cheap bags around. kelty makes a decent, light budget bag called the lightyear, under $100 in several temp ratings.

*home made alcohol stove, costs nothing, weighs about the same.

*dead weight if you ask me.

magnesium fire starter
waterproof matches
*you have a windproof lighter and waterproof matches. mag fire starter is overkill.

*Ditch the bandaids which don't stick to sweaty hiker skin. Wrap a couple feet of duct tape around a water bottle to use instead,
nylon cord

AA maglight with LED kit
*If you already have a headlamp and need backup light, just get a little Photon keychain LED for a couple bucks.

1 L nalgene
*Unless you're going to be pouring boiling liquid into the thing, ditch the heavy Nalgene and get a nice light 1 liter soda bottle. i used the same one for my entire hike and am still using it. "disposable" ha.

*For what?

*Way overkill and heavy for utensils. All you need is a lexan spoon, or be a badass and eat with a tent stake.

extra batteries
*you already have backup lighting, when you see your lamp's getting low, use your backup for a couple days until you get to a town with batteries. it's the AT, towns are not infrequent.

wet wipes
*you've already got a bandana and camp soap. there's your wetwipe right there.

*chafing is usually caused by poor moisture management, ive found that adding layers to avoid chafing usually just makes you sweatier and exacerbates the problem. if you hike in a light, loose pair of running shorts with a short inseam you'll rarely, if ever, have chafing problems. a good shake of the goldbond in the crack and thighs works amazingly well.

*cotton will GUARANTEE blisters, 100%. you'll be miserable and they'll take forever to dry out. go for wool or something synthetic. i use bike socks by defeet which rock and cost only a few bucks a pair.

*i think a great shelter is this: 6'x8' or so hardware store tarp, set up with your poles and some rope in a lean-to (only uses 4 stakes) take a big hefty bag and cut it along the sides for a ground sheet. costs practically nothing, much more weatherproof than you'd think when pitched right. sucks for bugs, but they're not an issue on the entire A.T. and that's what dr. deet and headnet are for. looks like this:

http://golite.com/assets/images/products/300x300/AC0207.jpg

home made quilt would be cool, check this out:
http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/php/order-form.php
cheap quilt kits. he sends you the patterns and materials, you sew it up. just make sure to test the crap out of your quilt the winter before you hike to make sure it will be warm enough and plan on using insulating clothes as part of your sleep system.

ffstenger
08-02-2006, 02:07
Hey DQ, welcome to WB. You'll learn everything you kneed to know about planning your AT adventure here, lots of sage and savvy hikers here!!
Speaking of planning ahead, 2009.... that's a lot of time to plan AND save up and to refine your gear list. Not everything you need has to be new or
ultra-lite, check everything out for yourself and if it works for you, TAKE IT!
Good luck, and have fun with your plans and your hike. Show-Me

attroll
08-02-2006, 02:32
As someone else mentioned cotton is evil. The reason being is cotton holds water and moisture. If you sweat and then get cold your cotton will still be wet and then that could lead to hypothermia. Always go with something wicking if possible. Cotton socks are even worse as someone said. Your feet will sweat and the cotton will not wick and this will cause blisters and more.

MedicineMan
08-02-2006, 03:11
is a D2, if so its still a great pack and i still see a thru-hiker using one every now and then....

SGT Rock
08-02-2006, 07:39
I need some help getting started, on a budget. I'm a college student, so the biggest factor is money, I'm not going to let a few extra pounds stop me from enjoying the woods.
If you are poor, keep on Dirtbagging. Looks like you have a good start. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=206678&postcount=1

Here goes (weights are approximate and guessed... I don't have a scale):

You could always "borrow" one. Post offices have these self serve scales these days to buy postage.

Pad: Coleman Reast Easy 4oz.

OK, your BIG four on top, good thinking.
1. Pack - this may be fine for you. IF you already have it and want to replace it, wait until you have figured out every other part of your packing list before you replace this. Then get something lighter that will be comfortable with your load and can carry your load without busting. There is a tendency with folks trying to go lighter with buying a pack that is totally wrong for their load.

2. Not a bad price on that tent. If you can sell if for more than you paid for it, maybe you can move up to a tent or shelter more to your weight and liking - since it looks like that tent is about $150 normally. Your idea for a hammock may be what you want. Or you may want just a tarp, or maybe a solo tent like this kind: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B872DE/ref=nosim/103-2969955-8393466?n=3375251
I have a Peak1 two person that I used extensively before I switched to hammocks and it did great. They are a bargain.
But why do you need a tarp and a tent? Overkill especially since you already have a two person tent. Even if you moved to a one person tent you can make things happen inside it just fine without extra. OR you can loose the tent and just use the tarp.

3. Sleeping bags are one place I think you should always get a good product, as good as you can. Your sleeping bag is your last line of defense against hypothermia and you want something you can count on when you need it. You also want something that is light enough and takes up a small space. I'm not telling you what brand or type to look for, but generally look for something that weighs around 2 pounds and will get you down to around 30F. Since sleeping bag ratings ain't always right, and people feel cold differently, this is something you may need to research more.

4. I think you got your pad weight wrong. Coleman Rest easy pads weigh 13 ounces. :D But you may want to trim it down to make it easier to pack and cut off some weight.

Also: look at adding a trash bag as a pack liner to your list here.

You may or may not like those boots. Personally I like the same running shoes I wear every day for exercise. If you are trying to go cheap, it is something to think about for replacement footwear.
Looks like you have listed your base layer for hiking in. Some things to think about are underwear and socks. Wal-Mart has cheep microfiber underwear that you will probably like better than those lycra shorts you mentioned, and they now carry synthetic athletic socks and even boot socks.
Then you need to look for some rain gear.
Then you need to think about when temps get down to the 50s - go back to Goodwill and look for some fleece gloves, a hat, and a jacket. You also may want to check out Army surplus stores for polypro long underwear and field jacket/field pants liners.

Old aluminum 1 qt. pot from Target
2 bandanas
100 oz Camelback
1 L nalgene
Micropure tablets
Good stove. If you haven't bought it yet you may want to try making your own to save some more money and a little extra weight. Your pot will do fine but I would only carry the spoon from your kit.
I personally would switch out the 100 ounce camel back for a collapsible 100 ounce canteen or figure out a way to do without the hose on the camel bak and only use that as the bladder. I'd also ditch the nalgen and get an old Gatorade bottle.
You also need to look at adding a food bag to your list.

AA maglight with LED kit
extra batteries

Loose one of the lights. You don't need extra lights, just extra batteries and maybe some extra bulbs for one. I would go with the AA LED and make a head-strap for it personally.

windproof lighter
magnesium fire starter
waterproof matches
Knee brace

I don't like whistles as rescue tools. If you need to make noise bang on a pot. I also wouldn't carry a magnisium fire starter - it is sort of a pain in the ass to use. Just get some cotton balls and slobber 'em up with vasaline. They will work to make a fire when you need them, weigh less, and light easier. Your first aid kit looks fine, but is the knee brace a need because of prior injury or something you are carrying in case something happens? If it is incase something happens maybe you should just carry an ace bandage.
Good idea to cary two fire sources. I just carry two Scripto lighters in two different places.

Goldbond
wet wipes
Camp Soap

You may not need the goldbond. I prefer toilet paper to wet wipes, and where is your oral hygine?

Pole: Swiss Gear adjustable aluminum
Knife: ~3.5" fixed blade with thin rope wrapped around the tang instead of normal scales
nylon cord
map compass
coleman watch

Sounds good.

Other things to consider:
Waterproof or resistant clothing bags and sleeping bag bags. Sil nylon is my favorite.
paper and pen for a journal
camera
maps to go with that compass
duct tape

DonQuixote
08-02-2006, 10:47
I appreciate all the good advice you guys are giving.

Bleach: Nope, that wasn't me.

As clarification:

Everything I listed is stuff I already own and have used. That's why I'm trying to use what I have as much as I can. Also, I'm doing a lot of hiking between now and when I do the AT, so I the most helpful advice is how to pack lighter and make what I have work better. As well as what to be watching for in preparation for the AT.

I'm not alone for most of my hikes, thus the 2-person tent. it has an option for pitching the fly only with a groundsheet. Stated weight is just over 1lb. I haven't tried it yet.

Some things I forgot:

Fuji disposable camera
toothbrush/paste
I switch the map out depending on where I am going to be

I have to have some sort of goldbond, although I may try the body glide stuff.

in addition to the Jansport, I have a smaller "Original Kilimanjaro" pack. Both were my father's. I don't really know anything about either of them. Maybe I'll throw up some pics tonight and see if someone can help me with identification.

For my solo hikes, I am really thinking about making the hammock, I think it can be done cheaply with some ingenuity and bargain shopping. I'm an Aerospace Engineer, if I can't do it I need to rethink my education ;).

I like the boots so far, they are light, flexible and dry fast.

I wear braces on both knees from previous injury, if I don't they hurt like hel l at the end of the day. My knees have taken a beating for as young as I am. Left was injured when I ran into a ditch playing backyard football and hyperextended it, and the right was a bad fall snowboarding. I also used to run track and I surf. Add hiking to that and you have some pretty heavy loads for my knees.

hammock engineer
08-02-2006, 11:40
Welcome to the crowd.

I was in a similar place last year, school forced me to put my hike off until next year. What I did was get a job just for paying for hiking. The money from this job bought all of my gear and helped me save money for a hike. There are plenty of good discount web sites out there. If you take your time, you will find almost everything on sale for a really good price sometime. You have a couple years to do it, so replacing your gear a little at a time shouldn't be a problem.