PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Water Gap to Port Clinton

Mr. Underhill
08-01-2006, 22:56
I'll be doing this section in August & plan on 5 days. It looks as if N to S will work out better because of some of the barren stretches between Lehigh & Wind Gap. My planned stays (tent) are around Leroy Smith Shelter, George Outerbridge Shelter, Allentown Shelter & Windsor Furnace Shelter. Are most of the springs listed in the guides still running? Is parking at the Delaware Water Gap fairly secure? I didn't see much for services along the way. Is the restaraunt (Maple Springs) open on Sunday evening? Any advice on shuttle services?
Thanks
Mr. Underhill

gumball
08-02-2006, 05:11
We parked on the trailhead in the DWG (there is a small parking lot there) without any problems, for about a week (our honeymoon trip--got married on the steps of the Church of the Mountain, Aug 6th of last year!). Anyway, happy hiking--I'm sure you will get a response on springs and shuttles.

gum

Alligator
08-02-2006, 08:11
There's bus service from DWG on the PA side. It may go to Port Clinton. If not, you may be able to connect to local service to Port Clinton.

***I looked this up. There's a route from Stroudsburg to Port Clinton. The service at Port Clinton is marked B, which means some kind of limitation. I'd call, but you may have to go S-N if you end up using the bus. It was $33 for the ticket.

mweinstone
08-02-2006, 19:29
only bus im aware of is the pottsvill local from philly,.. thru port,...to pottsvill. but all my info is 10 years old.

basicaly im an idiot.

Alligator
08-02-2006, 19:58
only bus im aware of is the pottsvill local from philly,.. thru port,...to pottsvill. but all my info is 10 years old.

basicaly im an idiot.try www.greyhound.com (http://www.greyhound.com)

Terraducky
08-02-2006, 20:44
Out packing 3 weeks ago (July 7-9), heading N-S from the Allentown Shelter to Windsor Furnace, good springs and plenty of water flowing in creeks. Lots of rain this past season assured that! Remember to pack some insect repellant and a bug net- the 'skeeters are horrific right now!!!!

Mr. Underhill
08-02-2006, 21:28
Thanks for the advice so far. I'll take the repellent. Didn't think the bugs would be much of a problem now. I did check out the bus. It's doable but... it's about 8 hours for the actual bus trip with 3 bus changes. And there would have to be some additional transportation once the main bus runs got to Hamburg. I think there is someone who shuttles and I am trying to track that down. Does anyone know anything about a place to get a hot meal not too far off the trail? I am doing 17 - 20 mile days & don't want to add a lot more to that.
Ron

buddha small b
08-02-2006, 23:29
I might be able to help you out Mr. Underhill. :-? but I need some dates. Send me an e-mail and maybe we can figure somethin' out.
At the very least I can meet you at route 309 we can have that hot dinner together. I live in Bloomsburg, Pa. about an hour from that section.