PDA

View Full Version : Sweating

Pennsylvania Rose
08-02-2006, 11:28
This is a really weird question...Do any of you (women) sweat like pigs? I do and it drives me nuts. On a 70 degree day I have sweat running down my face, my glasses fog up, and my shirt is soaked. If it's above 80 I look like I've gone swimming. Dirt sticks to me everywhere and I'm a mess after less than one day. My husband says I don't smell bad, I just look like I've been through the ringer. Another weird thing happens, too. Sometimes just before I start sweating, I'll get nausous, cold, and clammy then suddenly I'll get really hot and start sweating (it feels just like a hot flash). Anyone know why? Anything I can do about it?

Mouse
08-02-2006, 11:38
When I'm hiking I certainly sweat all over and sweat a lot. Remember, that is how your body cools itself. But what you describe sounds almost like the start of heat exhaustion rather than just sweating. I'd be careful about proper hydration, getting enough salt and electrolytes and matching the exertion level with the weather conditions.

Another trick is to wear a hat and soak it in cool water from time to time. That helps out the body's natural cooling.

VictoriaM
08-02-2006, 13:10
Also make sure you're eating enough. Try little meals at more more frequent intervals. I'm mildly hypoglycemic (I think a lot of women are, but just don't know it) and I have that exact series of reactions when I need to eat something.

Other than that, yes I sweat a good amount. I don't deal well with heat at all, but the sweating is the worst. All I can tell you is not to skimp on your hiking clothes - get the really good ones that wick really well, wash up every night, and carry a bandana to mop your brow as you're hiking.

Time To Fly 97
08-02-2006, 15:59
Hi,

On warm days or after a climb I have found that I sweat much more just after I stop hiking - until my heart rate levels out and my body cools down. If I hiked 10 miles and stopped at every quarter mile I would sweat after each stop. If I don't stop I don't sweat, or if I do it is almost unnoticable. It seems like my body is able to stay cooler when it is moving.

As a result, I hike longer distances without stopping. I don't have to carry as much water, because I don't sweat as much. It is better for me to hike slowly than to stop if I get tired.

Does this help?

Happy hiking!

TTF

gumball
08-02-2006, 17:35
I sweat quite a bit, but I agree, what you describe sounds like a heat-related illness--most important to 1) take breaks 2) stay hydrated and 3) fuel your body in small amounts through out your hiking day, all as stated above. Are you peri-menopausal, or menopausal, and perhaps you are sweating more than usual...and thus dehydrating more than usual?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-02-2006, 21:23
Penn. Rose, I started menopause at 34 with exactly the symptoms you describe. Your doc can test your hormones and see if this is the cause. If it isn't, you need to learn more about heat related illnesses and how to prevent and treat them.

Bad Ass Turtle
08-02-2006, 22:12
I've always sweated copiously -- in fact, my spouse, Footslogger, sent me this post in an email so I would notice it.

I don't know about the nausea and other symptoms, but I do tend to wear a bandana and to soak that every chance I get. The other issues I deal with related to heat and sweating include chafing -- Body Glide is the best stuff going for that -- and prickly heat rashes. I also make sure I get something to eat on a regular basis. If I don't eat something at least every two hours, I get weak and extremely cranky. OK, well, I'm cranky most of the time anyway.

We've also tarted taking short breaks every hour when we're hiking -- I find that helps me to cool off a bit. I also like, when the weather is excruciating, to start hiking REALLY early, break off at about 1, and then start hiking again in late afternoon. That way I'm getting the hours in without having to hike in the hottest part of the day.

Hana_Hanger
08-03-2006, 00:33
Sounds like me asking the Doctor those questions just last week.
I am the same way...it drives me batty. First we (the Dr) thought it was my diabetes, then we thought it was my menopause; and because I just had a bad case of walking pneumonia we thought it was that.

I have concluded it is just me and consider it a great way to flush those toxins out of my skin and I just glow after a day's hike.
I also now carry a Aqua Towel to stay dry with it has helped me so much
the kind you know pro swimmers wear.
BUT by all means make sure it is NOT something else.
At least you are not alone in this :D

jazilla
08-03-2006, 09:18
It also may depend on the amount of exercises you get off the trail. When I don't exercises I can feel it on the trail. Also, you have to be acclimatized. Even if you live in the area you hike, if your inside with the AC on it will always seem hot out and you will sweat more. Same reason people from Alaska can wear shorts in 30 degrees and I am wearing a jacket and thermal underwear.

Pennsylvania Rose
08-05-2006, 13:04
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. To clear up a couple of points: I sweat a lot with any exertion - hiking, mowing the lawn, walking around a warm store. I just sweat a lot. It bothers me because I wish I was one of those girls who can be in the woods for a week and look like they've just stepped out of the car. I'm always careful to stay hydrated and not overheat, so it's not a health risk, just annoying. I just got two of those super-absorbant towels. I think I'll cut one up to use as a headband.

As for the nausea and cold clammy feeling - it's happened to me as long as I can remember - and only every once-in-a-while. Usually it's 15 minutes or so into my hike - especially if I start out uphill - and it's happened in both cold and hot weather. So I can rule out both menopause and heat exhaustion. It could be horomone or sugar related, though. I'll have to keep track of what time of the month it is and what I have or haven't eaten.

frieden
08-05-2006, 21:57
Remember, chemicals in shampoos, soaps, make up, etc. can throw off your hormone balance. They create "false" estrogen, and can spike your hormone levels. If you can, shop only at the health food store for one month, and see how you feel.

HapKiDo
08-06-2006, 11:00
Horses sweat, men perspire, women glow.

I recommend talking to the doctor. The 'I'll get nausous, cold, and clammy then suddenly I'll get really hot and start sweating' part sounds like something for a medical professional to know.

sarbar
08-09-2006, 20:21
"It bothers me because I wish I was one of those girls who can be in the woods for a week and look like they've just stepped out of the car."

I am cracking up :D You are SO not alone in that area. Even after taking a very, very long hot shower last night, I still have dirt embedded in my legs from the 5 dayer I got back from yesterday. My shirts? One is stiff with salt, the other has dirt rings on dirt rings. I spent a long time flossing my teeth. And my hair? Lets say it looked like a rats nest :p I don't think you can look like an REI catalog model (sipping tea in your 850 fill bag, with perky braids) unless you stay home. Dirt means you out there! Sweating isn't bad-it cools you down!