PDA

View Full Version : Make fun of my pack list

Chainsaw 08
08-02-2006, 12:55
This is not a packlist for an AT thru-hike. This is my list for my first-ever overnight hike, starting in a couple of weeks (which will hopefully lead to a thru-hike in 2007 or 2008). It will be 5-6 days long, and take place in an still-unknown spot (probably the Standing Indian area, but I'm open to ideas (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16491).)

I intend to take 5 days, but will pack food for 6. The number after each item is weight in ounces. Questions are at bottom.

Shelter
Slumberjack Latitude 20 degree bag 50
Hammock -- tenatively Hennessy Ultralight 32
Stakes 2
Pack cover 2

Cooking
Jetboil PCS 15
Fuel 4
2 water bottles (full) 20
Iodine Tablets 0.5

Food
Food bag 1
Various Ziplocs 2
spork 0.5
Liptons (6) 25
Freeze-dried meals (3) 2
Oatmeal (8) 8
Gorp / freezedried fruit 24
Jerky 8
powerbars (6) 6
cocoa (2) 2
Gatorade mix (6) 6

Hygeine
soap 3
TP 1
chafing powder 5

Misc
First Aid kit 10
Lighter 0.5
Leatherman micra 2
Bandanas 2
map 1
Money/ID/keys 2
headlamp/batteries 10
cellphone/camera 3
20 foot cord for bear bag 2

Luxury
book 8
notebook & pens 4
Pipe, cleaners & baccy 12

Clothes in Pack (at heaviest)
Stuff sack for clothes 1
Spare shorts 5
Spare T shirt 5
longsleeve shirt 1
compression shorts 3
spare socks 2
spare sock liners 1
Spandex pants 2
rain jacket 10
fleece 15

Total in Pack 416.5

Carried/Worn

Pack -- Atmos 50
Poles

Clothes worn
Shorts
Base T shirt
jockstrap
shoes
socks
sock liners
ballcap
Sunglasses

Questions:

1)Is that enough food for 6 days? I intend to cook only at breakfast and dinner, and to gorp it for lunch.

2) Is the Atmos 50 enough pack for me? I'm coming in here at 26 pounds of in-pack weight, and on a thru-hike I'd expect to have a couple pounds more, especially in colder weather where I might tent it and/or go with a heavier sleeping bag. The Osprey website seems to suggest the Atmos is more like a 20-25 pound bag.

3) I need specific recommendations for
-- first aid kit
-- headlamp

Any feedback welcome.

Alligator
08-02-2006, 13:05
1)Is that enough food for 6 days? I intend to cook only at breakfast and dinner, and to gorp it for lunch.I think you should vary up your daily snacking schedule it is somewhat routine. I'd throw in a sleeve of small Snickers or some other chocolate, the 10 packs for .99. And some little Debbies or chewy granola bars.

I can't eat oatmeal two days in a row, let alone six. But, my hiking buddy eats it everyday.

On the nights you are eating just Liptons, you might want to throw a little protein in the mix.

Jack Tarlin
08-02-2006, 13:16
*I think your list is fine.

*I agree with Alligator about bringing different things for lunch. I'd consider such things as tortillas, hard cheese, pepperoni, tuna packets, etc.

*Companies such as Petzl, Princeton Tec, and Black Diamond all make excellent lamps. Keep it small and simple, and don't pick one that takes batteries that are difficult to find.

*Most people go way overboard with first-aid/personal effects stuff. Keep it simple. Here's what I'd bring:

Painkiller (Ibuprofen or aspirin)
Duct Tape
A couple of safety pins
Sunscreen
Anti-chafe stuff (Body Glide or something similar)
1 oz. antiseptic hand cleaner
Razor blade
Ace Bandage (If you're prone to sprains or already have a bad knee or
ankle
Insect Repellant
Sunglasses
Eyeglas repair kit if you wear glases
Bandana JUST for washing/hygeine stuff
Back-up water purification tablets (the little iodine ones)

And that's about it.

FLHiker
08-02-2006, 13:44
I'd check your calories you plan on carrying vs what you think you'll burn ( you don't necesarily need to replace all your calories - but it will give you an idea of what to expect.)

Also, unless your hiking where there are privies - you'll need a shovel (el-cheapo orange plastic job from any outdoors store.) It's also better to have a back-up TP - instead of one big roll, which would be too much, carry 2-3 backpackers rolls (bought or just made by unrolling, and re-rolling a part of a roll w/o the tube.) They then can be kept in different zip-locks in case one gets wet.

StarLyte
08-02-2006, 14:01
You're pack is perfect.

Yep-think I'd put more of a variety in the food.

You will be nauseated when you look at that oatmeal for the 3rd day, trust me, and I eat oatmeal frequently.

Try this-add peanut butter, and whole grain tortillas, snickers-as already suggested, and you only have 3 freeze dried meals when you're hiking for 5-6 days and I don't see any other dinner foods listed.

Liptons-is that soup?... you list 6 of them, keep only 3, buy something else. Make it high protein, not too much fat, you're only hiking for 5-6 days.

Can you eat tuna? Starkist makes a Sweet-n-spicy tuna that tastes like succulent crab patties. Great source of nourishment.

How about some nuts for protein to munch on too?

Have fun and good luck!!!

bigcranky
08-02-2006, 16:58
Your list is pretty good, but you might want to take a second look at some of your weights. You list 4 oz for your fuel canister, but that's the weight of the empty canister. You list 20 oz for two *full* water bottles. A 1-liter Aqua Fina bottle weighs about 1 oz empty, and about 35 oz full, so 2 of them would be 70 oz. Your weights for various other things seem on the light side -- TP, power bars, maps, etc. It's really easy to guess at the weights and be off by a couple of ounces per item, but when you add them all up, your estimate can be off by a lot of pounds. (Ask me how I know this!!! <grin>)

Iodine tablets are something of a pain. The liquid iodine in the little bottle is easier to use, or try Aqua Mira, which IMHO tastes better.

I would take fewer dinners (I think you have 9 for a 5 day hike, and the last day you'll be eating dinner in town anyway). I would take a LOT more gorp and fruit -- I can eat way over 1/2 pound of gorp a day, and you only have 1.5 pounds. Is the oatmeal in instant packets? You'll eat 2-3 a day -- put them in ziploc bags and add some nuts, dried fruit, powdered milk, and brown sugar. Then add boiling water to the bag and eat right out of it. (No spork if you do this!) I second the suggestion for tuna packets -- I like to mix in some mayo packets and wrap it up in a tortilla. That's lunch most days. I also like Hormel pepperoni and a couple of those cheese sticks wrapped up in tortillas. Yum. Just add mustard.

Th Atmos 50 is a great pack, but I think your assessment of what it can carry is right on. So, your list comes up to 26 pounds, and I suspect that many of the items are heavier than you list. You'll probably want to pack it all up and see how it feels.

Specific recommendations:

Headlamp: the new Zipka Plus
First Aid Kit: I carry a very small homemade kit with the basics. Weighs about 4 oz. Do a search here on WB for threads with specific ideas.

Have fun. It's addicting.

hopefulhiker
08-02-2006, 17:25
Snickers bars, hunk of parmesagn cheese, lots of ibuprophren, duct tape, gold bond powder, cortizone, and moleskin or something like it

Mouse
08-02-2006, 18:00
looks pretty good for a section hike.

FanaticFringer
08-02-2006, 18:14
Just got me an Energizer headlamp from Wal-Mart. Around $10. As much as 3 times cheaper than some of the big names.It works great. Do a Google search. Saw plenty of nice reviews.

Chainsaw 08
08-02-2006, 18:18
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I think everyone's right on about not enough food & not enough variety.

bigcranky, you're dead on -- I was guessing on a number of the weights, and I probably guessed low. I don't have the pack yet, so I can't load it up and see; I'm making my pack list in part so I can see how big a pack I need.

I'll check with the outfitter, but looks like the Atmos is out. Looks like the Aether or a GG ... Anyone have opinions on the Vapor/Vapor Trail/Latitude Vapor series?

StarLyte
08-02-2006, 18:41
Just got me an Energizer headlamp from Wal-Mart. Around $10. As much as 3 times cheaper than some of the big names.It works great. Do a Google search. Saw plenty of nice reviews.

My friend has one of those and the light is VERY bright at night, I was rather jealous.

Good job.

Peaks
08-02-2006, 18:42
Everyone's gear is different. I think it's an excellent idea to take some practice trips first. Then, you can find out what gear works best for you.

Chainsaw 08
08-02-2006, 19:02
Everyone's gear is different. I think it's an excellent idea to take some practice trips first. Then, you can find out what gear works best for you.Well that's sort of the point ... I'm figuring out what to take on my first practice trip.

Chainsaw 08
08-02-2006, 19:06
And since this thread is getting more action ... I'm still open to suggestions on where I should go to break myself in. Standing Indian is my fallback, but I'd prefer somewhere new. I'm looking for

-- North Georgia/West NC area.
-- 25-40 mile loop hike
-- does not have to be on or near AT

FLHiker
08-02-2006, 20:02
Smokies are great but: avoid the horse trails, and loops are tough to find. You can use shuttles to make it work though - I've used AAA Hiker service - they treated me great. - I'm sure there are other's too. THis time of year, I'd start out high to stay cool!!

jazilla
08-03-2006, 09:50
I like to bring a few baby wipe along when I hike.

Check Walmart for some trail mix. I found some mountain mix with nuts, berries, and chocolate chips and peanut butter pieces(like Reece's)

Didn't see bug repel. Don't know if you need it but its always a good item.

Also if you don't mind me asking......Why a jockstrap?

StarLyte
08-03-2006, 10:20
Walmart does indeed have a great selection of trail mixes and tons of small packeted food. High protein stuff, sweets, etc.

EarlyBird2007
08-03-2006, 10:35
I'll check with the outfitter, but looks like the Atmos is out. Looks like the Aether or a GG ... Anyone have opinions on the Vapor/Vapor Trail/Latitude Vapor series?

I bought a Vapor Trail a month ago. I've had it out on two section hikes now. I absolutely love it. It's very light, but has real cushioned hip straps, unlike some of the Golites, for example. I plan to use it on my thru-hike next year. One downside - it doesn't have side pockets to put stuff in that you need frequently. But, you have to sacrifice a bit of convenience to go that light.

If you decide to get one, check out EMS. I got mine for 20% off. They have some great deals now.

bigcranky
08-03-2006, 11:14
The Aether 60 is a very nice pack, and will accomodate a heavier load than the Atmos. It has a much more substantial hip belt, for one thing. I used an Aether 60 for year-round hiking for several years, and it was large enough to accomodate my winter load while not being too large for summer hikes. (But then I'm not hiking anywhere with "real" winter.)

mn-backpacker
08-03-2006, 12:26

I have the GG Latitude Vapor, which is a 3800 ci panel loader (vs. top loader), and has no extension collar. Because of the panel loading feature (which I *love*), the pack is about 12 oz heavier than the VT, but the suspension is identical. They both haul up to 30 pounds. I've done as much as 28, and it handled it without issue.

I've compared both side by side, and the Latitude does appear to have a bit more space, although I didn't attempt to pack them with the same gear to compare. All of my gear and food fits inside the pack. I can go for almost a week before food takes up enough room to bump something to the outside of the pack. The panel loading is a great feature, if you don't mind the extra 12 oz, and it allows you to pack your stuff much different than you normally would.

Below is a link to a snapshot of my pack before my last trip. You can see everything except my food bag, and it fit between all the gear and the zipper panel that opens the pack. It may not look like it, but there is probably enough room for 4 days or so of food there. I could rearrange a little for more space if I needed to (move the TarpTent to the outside of the pack).

http://frontiernet.net/~dmclec/misc_img/gglv-packed.jpg

I know where you can use a coupon code to get it for $165.

chicote
08-03-2006, 13:10
I'll second Mn-Backpacker on the Lattitude Vapor. My wife and I have them and we are hooked. The padding is freaking awesome and the 3800ci holds alot of stuff, especially if you squeeze your stuff down - unlike Mn's picture where it is just sitting there oh so pretty.

EarlyBird2007
08-14-2006, 08:07
Well that's sort of the point ... I'm figuring out what to take on my first practice trip.

Hi, Furtigan. I'm also doing practice hikes to get ready for my 2007 thruhike. Just finished a weekend overnight in PA. Your list looks generally fine. A couple observations. The comments about some variety in food are right on. Take some stuff that you'll want to eat even when exhausted. I've found I drop 3-5 lb. on just a two day hike. I can tell already it's going to be a challenge to keep my weight up. At about 15 miles into the second day, I go over the things I could leave behind to save weight or additional things it would be worth the weight to carry. Other than the basics (clothing, food, etc.) the two things I cannot live without are vitamin I (Ibuprofin) for my 53 yr. old body and petroleum jelly to keep my tender spots from chafing. Also, wrap 2 feet of duct tape around your hiking poles. That's an out of the way place to keep it. The list of uses for it is endless.

firefly
08-15-2006, 22:59
You might want to consider doing a quick overnite shakedown trip with your gear before going on your 6 day run. This way you can check everything out and fix what doesn't work. I always test my gear out on overnighters even if its car camping..I have not always done this and have some very funny stories about stuff that went wrong...well at least they are funny now :P

You might want to consider hiking the Approach Trail up to Springer Mtn to the AT and onward to Neels Gap. There is an outfitters store there and you can easily get a shuttle back your car. There are also a couple ways you can loop back on other trails to Springer Mtn and then hike hike back down the Hike In trail instead of the approach trail...If you do this stop at the Hike in for the coffee and biscuits they have for hikers..Make Sure wherever you go you can carry extra water...some of the springs in Ga and NC are dry.