PDA

View Full Version : Montrail Hardrocks break in period?

Dust
08-02-2006, 22:36
Do the Montrail Hardrocks have a break-in period?

A-Train
08-02-2006, 22:46
No. Just like any other trail runner, they are virtually break-in free. Though they may mold to the shape of your foot over time. Remember, a trail runner is basically a glorified running shoe, usually with stiffer plastic in the sole/mid-sole

Almost There
08-03-2006, 00:12
One thing to keep in mind if you need a deep heel cup like I do. Montrail's don't have'em. Originally wore their boots...bad blisters, eventually switched to the Hardrock's figuring they're a shoe...half hour into my first hike heel blistered and peeled back like the first 5 layers of an onion! So I decided I can't wear Montrails...period! Switched to Salomons and have been very happy with them.

I do agree...shoes should need zero break-in time, put'em on and start hiking.

hopefulhiker
08-03-2006, 07:22
I used the casual super feet in mine...

Dust
08-03-2006, 10:49
One thing to keep in mind if you need a deep heel cup like I do. Montrail's don't have'em. Originally wore their boots...bad blisters, eventually switched to the Hardrock's figuring they're a shoe...half hour into my first hike heel blistered and peeled back like the first 5 layers of an onion! So I decided I can't wear Montrails...period! Switched to Salomons and have been very happy with them.

I"m not sure what a heel cup is, but I have a moderate arch in my foot bottom if that's what you mean. Not flat and not deeply indented. So I assume my heel cup is not deep.

But now you have me thinking of Saolomons. I've been spoiled by Vasque Sundowners which had 0 break-in, but they're a little heavy for a Colorado Trail hike in September. What type of Montrails (or any other trail runner) are the most hassle-free? I'd like them to last 450 miles.

Creaky
08-04-2006, 14:17
I'm just back from the Alps, where I wore Montrail Vitesses. They are good shoes, held up well, are stable and relatively light. I have high arches, a widish foot, and wear orthotic devices. The Vitesses handled all this fine. I got used to the built-in "sock," which requires a second or two more time and a little more digital manipulation to get the shoe on than normal. The shoes soaked through quickly but also dried quickly.

I don't have a clear sense of what the Colorado Trail is like, but I felt that under 10-15 lb. packs (including water,etc.), the Vitesses were adequate for the steep and sometimes rocky trails we were on -- but just barely. Next time in a similar situation, I'd probably go with a light boot for a little more underfoot padding, especially if I'm carrying a heavier pack. Younger hikers would probably disagree. My daughter was perfectly happy in some North Face trail runners.

wilconow
08-07-2006, 10:41
Do the Montrail Hardrocks have a break-in period?

none at all.

BigToe
08-07-2006, 11:05

Wow Almost There, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I had exactly the same experience with the Hardrocks. I wore them on about sixty miles of conditioning hikes before my section with no problem. However, when I did my section, I immediately "blistered and peeled...like an onion" just like you. I ended up having to go off trail early to mend.

I put it down to the slightly extra weight I actually packed and the rolling action of my feet on the actual trail, along with the fact that the shape of my feet just don't fit the Montrail profile. The wisdom imparted here on Whiteblaze that everyone's feet are different, and you must search for the right fit for the individual - seems exactly right. In my foot, the Hardrocks' heel ridge rubbed right on my lower heel.

Not knocking the Hardrocks - they seem an excellent shoe, and I love the lightweight approach. I'm back to Campmor Tuesday to look at other brands.

rswanson
08-09-2006, 10:47
But now you have me thinking of Saolomons. I've been spoiled by Vasque Sundowners which had 0 break-in, but they're a little heavy for a Colorado Trail hike in September. What type of Montrails (or any other trail runner) are the most hassle-free? I'd like them to last 450 miles.
I've used Montrails and found they might be best for low volume feet. I certainly had fit problems with my medium width, medium-to-high volume feet. I also need a roomy toe box. I just picked up a pair of Salomon's XA Pro 3D's and the fit is just right. As I just bought them, I cannot attest for the durability but I don't see any design flaws that would lead me to believe they won't last as long as trail runners normally do.

The shoes are super light, and dry almost instantly, even when wet-through. They're very breathable. I like the speed laces as well. A long weekend on some Pennsylvania rocks had me wishing for just a tad more protection from the mid-sole (carrying about a 25lb pack). The sole is very grippy. Overall I'd give them an 8.5.