PDA

View Full Version : Water is Low at Springer

briarpatch
08-03-2006, 09:25
I just got an email from our Fall Ridgerunner. He says that as of 8/2/2006 the water source at Springer is down to just a seep. He doesn't officially start for the season for a few more weeks and was just doing a dayhike, so I don't have current info on other water sources.

GATC Volunteer

hikerjohnd
08-03-2006, 10:58
Uh oh... I am headed this way in a week or so... Is there any source for what the water is like between Hog Pen and Springer? Would like to know so I know how much to carry...

Mountain Man
08-03-2006, 12:53
A hiker came in here at the Len Foote Hike Inn this morning and said the water source at Springer and Black Gap both were dry. He had to get off the Approach trail to get water at the Hike Inn. The next water source going north is Stover Creek.

hikerjohnd
08-03-2006, 23:11
I figure Stover Creek and Justice Creek will be there - anyone know about Gooch Gap or Gooch Mtn Shelter? If I can water up there I will rest easier - would hate to arrive at a dry source...

Skidsteer
08-03-2006, 23:24
I figure Stover Creek and Justice Creek will be there - anyone know about Gooch Gap or Gooch Mtn Shelter? If I can water up there I will rest easier - would hate to arrive at a dry source...

I haven't checked them since the week before TD's but the spring at Gooch Mtn. shelter always seems to be a prime water source. Don't forget about Blackwell creek a half-mile South of the shelter.

Almost There
08-04-2006, 00:54
Water sucks throughout Georgia right now!

Gray Blazer
08-04-2006, 21:10
Almost dry at Deep Gap, GA last week.

Water sucks throughout Georgia right now!

Almost There
08-04-2006, 21:51
Almost dry at Deep Gap, GA last week.

And Deep Gap usually isn't a bad water source!

Lone Wolf
08-04-2006, 23:12
Oh my God!! Water sources are dry. Stay home and dream.:rolleyes:

Dances with Mice
08-04-2006, 23:28
Oh my God!! Water sources are dry. Stay home and dream.:rolleyes:I think we ought to just close the GA AT. It's way too risky.

I'm walking down (& back up, hopefully) Tallulah Gorge tomorrow. If it's dry then we's all in trouble.

hikerjohnd
08-04-2006, 23:38
Oh my God!! Water sources are dry. Stay home and dream.:rolleyes:

Nah - just means I have to carry in more - maybe I'll use a pack mule...:-?

tiamalle
08-05-2006, 18:31
Oh my God!! Water sources are dry. Stay home and dream.:rolleyes:Are You Still In RI?

SawnieRobertson
08-05-2006, 21:22
My dog and I car camped at Amicolola Thursday night this week. It was sweltering. The tent (set up after the sun was down) was a sauna. If the heat hasn't broken, I'd think twice before going for a serious hike in that area if I had any choice--at least for now. It was beautiful though. I'd forgotten how thick the vegetation can be, having been in that location only in March.
--Kinnickinic

Lone Wolf
08-05-2006, 22:18
Are You Still In RI?
Hell no! I missed my home here in Damascus.

StarLyte
08-05-2006, 22:55
It's hard to believe that Stover or Justis Creek might be dried up.

hikerjohnd
08-05-2006, 23:31
It's hard to believe that Stover or Justis Creek might be dried up.

Agreed - those are the only two water sources I am counting on - if they are dry then we will be royally 'ahem' in trouble.

tiamalle
08-07-2006, 20:18
Hell no! I missed my home here in Damascus.Damascus is a little paridise.

tiamalle
08-07-2006, 20:23
It's hard to believe that Stover or Justis Creek might be dried up.They both have water and Hawk mtn.has water.I just hike
this part.

StarLyte
08-07-2006, 20:57
They both have water and Hawk mtn.has water.I just hike
this part.

I love that little stream behind Hawk Mtn shelter. That water is ice cold. In the spring, there's one that runs across the AT right before Hawk Mountain.

Gray Blazer
08-08-2006, 10:18
Forgot to report...there was plenty of water at Plum Orchard Gap and Cowart Gap 2 weeks ago.

John Klein
08-20-2006, 15:39
Do you think it's safer wait until mid-fall to count on most water sources in Georgia being back up to speed?

Midway Sam
08-30-2006, 22:13
How's the rain been of late? Ernesto likely to pump up the water tables?

Captn
10-14-2007, 09:07
Has the water situation improved at all?

FatMan
10-14-2007, 09:33
Has the water situation improved at all?It has worsened. You will pretty much only find water at the big creeks from Springer to Neels Gap. Stover, Blackwell, Justice, and the small stream at Gooch Gap. Several weeks ago the water at Hawk Mtn was running but I would not count on that without getting a recent first hand report. You can also walk downstream at Jarrard Gap and at the Slaughter Creek trail. Don't count on water anywhere else.

We are seeing drought conditions in Suches that have not been experienced in memory. Springs that have been running for over one hundred years are now dry, and there is no relief in sight.

Doughnut
10-14-2007, 09:46
I spent Friday Night (10/12/07) at Whitley Gap Shelter, the spring is DRY and I heard that is the most reliable spring on Ga AT.

cowpoke
10-14-2007, 14:00
I just walked this section. No water on the Aproach Trail or at Springer Mtn shelter. First water is Davis creek about a mile and half north of Springer Mtn. Stover creek shelter was dry but Stover creek was good. Chester creek and three forks were both good water sources. The spring at Hawk mtn shelter was almost dry. Justus creek was good but the spring at Gooch Mtn Shelter was just a trickle...usable though. I couldn't find the water at Gooch gap but don't think it was running. Bottom line...for me at least...no water at any of the "springs" along the trail mentioned in the 2007 thru-hiker handbook. I walked off the trail at Woody's Gap as I was not feeling well. Better now and headed up to Steocah Gap this week. Water was a challenge...

Captn
10-14-2007, 17:40
How much water would you recommend carrying between sources? 3 Liters? More?

Sly
10-14-2007, 18:03
How much water would you recommend carrying between sources? 3 Liters? More?

I normally carry one liter for every 5 miles between sources assuming they're running. Of course, if you're not sure and it's be reported as dry, you'll have to carry more or cache it, if possible. If I plan on camping between sources I like to carry an extra 2 liters for dinner and breakfast.

cowpoke
10-14-2007, 21:32
I was carrying 4 liters of water...my problem was the heat...still "hot" in the mountains...drinking more than I should have...made distance between water sources longer...at least in my mind.

Doc_of_the_bay
10-14-2007, 22:58
Five friends and I are planning a Three Forks to Woody Gap section hike soon. We'll leave a car at Woody in the afternoon, drive to Three Forks, and hike to Hawk Mt the first night, Hawk to Gooch Mt the next day, then back to Woody Gap the next morning.

It sounds like we won't find any water at the Hawk Mt. shelter, and very little at Gooch Mt., correct? If that's the case, we'd have to carry enough to last us from Long Creek on day one to Justus Creek on day two, plus supper and breakfast cooking water. Then maybe the same routine from Justus to Woody.

Rather than carry that much, we're thinking of stashing some water near the road at Hightower Gap or Horse Gap as we're driving to Three Forks. Does that sound like a good plan? Should we do the same near Gooch Gap?
(Looks like there's a chance of showers this Thursday and Friday. Even if we get some I don't imagine it will make much difference.)

cowpoke
10-15-2007, 09:31
you can camel up at the creek about a half mile south of Gooch Mtn shelter...the spring at Gooch shelter was "running" but just a trickle...but doable with time...just need a cup to scoop as it fills....I didn't find any water from Gooch shelter to Woody gap...this was last week.

Doc_of_the_bay
10-15-2007, 10:12
Cowpoke,
You said the spring at Hawk Mt shelter is "almost" dry. Is it usable at all, or do we need to carry water from Long Creek when we head up from Three Forks to Hawk?

Dances with Mice
10-15-2007, 11:05
Cowpoke,
You said the spring at Hawk Mt shelter is "almost" dry. Is it usable at all, or do we need to carry water from Long Creek when we head up from Three Forks to Hawk?You could skip Gooch Mtn shelter and stay at Gooch Gap. There's a reliable stream there.

cowpoke
10-15-2007, 13:46
I wouldn't count on Hawk Mtn shelter water source...just a trickle last week...don't think there's been any rain in the mountains since then. Camel up before Hawk Mtn shelter to be safe.

Where is the stream at Gooch Gap? There was a dried up creek bed across the trail just before Gooch Gap...but no water. I looked for the spring at Gooch Gap but couldn't find it...was using the 2007 Thru-Hiker's Handbook as my reference. Thanks for any info...

horicon
10-15-2007, 15:08
Pray for some rain.

FatMan
10-15-2007, 16:06
I wouldn't count on Hawk Mtn shelter water source...just a trickle last week...don't think there's been any rain in the mountains since then. Camel up before Hawk Mtn shelter to be safe.

Where is the stream at Gooch Gap? There was a dried up creek bed across the trail just before Gooch Gap...but no water. I looked for the spring at Gooch Gap but couldn't find it...was using the 2007 Thru-Hiker's Handbook as my reference. Thanks for any info...It is on the north side of FS42. If you are heading North, cross FS42 and as you pass the large grassy campground on the left you will see a path to the right. Follow the path 100+ yds to a small footbridge over a small creek. There is a sign, I'm surprised you missed it.

Captn
10-16-2007, 10:39
So ... it sounds like one fill up per day and a dry camp at each shelter from Springer to Neels Gap.

earlyriser26
10-16-2007, 10:54
Sounds like fun. I have a group going down to GA in 9 days. As long as Justice Creek, Hawk Mt., and Stover Creek are OK we will be fine. How hot is it????

briarpatch
10-16-2007, 12:51
Sounds like fun. I have a group going down to GA in 9 days. As long as Justice Creek, Hawk Mt., and Stover Creek are OK we will be fine. How hot is it????

Justus Creek is running, Hawk Mtn is pretty close to dry, if not dry, and the new Stover Creek Shelter is dry, but there is running water near by.

earlyriser26
10-16-2007, 13:36
We were thinking about staying at Hawk Mt. (tenting). Looks like we will be hauling water from Justus creek to Hawk Mt. 6 miles and 10lbs + of extra water. Ugh! Any rain in the forecast or will it just get worse?

Dances with Mice
10-16-2007, 15:12
We were thinking about staying at Hawk Mt. (tenting). Looks like we will be hauling water from Justus creek to Hawk Mt. 6 miles and 10lbs + of extra water. Ugh! Any rain in the forecast or will it just get worse?Justus to Hawk, so you're walking southbound?

Then pass Hawk and continue to the first gravel road you cross, at the base of Hawk. Maybe 1.5 miles south of Hawk shelter. Turn right (trail west) for 100 yards along the road and there's a camping area at Hickory Flats Cemetary. Sleeping at the cemetary is nicer than it sounds - there's a covered pavilion, a cinderblock privy, and a big sign welcoming campers. And it's not like you're pitching tents among the tombstones, there's a large cleared area in front of the cemetary. Reliable stream (Long Creek) is just a short walk downhill.

Expect most mountain top shelters to be dry. Camp low.

warraghiyagey
10-16-2007, 15:15
We were thinking about staying at Hawk Mt. (tenting). Looks like we will be hauling water from Justus creek to Hawk Mt. 6 miles and 10lbs + of extra water. Ugh! Any rain in the forecast or will it just get worse?

Possible tropical storm developing in northeast Gulf of Mexico that is forecast to move over said drought area. Possibly. The drought is finally getting some serious national attention these last few days.
Atlantas sole water source, Lake Lanier, is said to have between 90 and 120 days of water left this October, the historically driest month in the area.
And I'm heading to Knoxville Monday to finish south to springer. Go tropical storm!!!!!!:) :) :)

Tabasco
10-16-2007, 18:51
http://fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/10/16/414069.aspx

water info

earlyriser26
10-17-2007, 13:39
Justus to Hawk, so you're walking southbound?

Then pass Hawk and continue to the first gravel road you cross, at the base of Hawk. Maybe 1.5 miles south of Hawk shelter. Turn right (trail west) for 100 yards along the road and there's a camping area at Hickory Flats Cemetary. Sleeping at the cemetary is nicer than it sounds - there's a covered pavilion, a cinderblock privy, and a big sign welcoming campers. And it's not like you're pitching tents among the tombstones, there's a large cleared area in front of the cemetary. Reliable stream (Long Creek) is just a short walk downhill.

Expect most mountain top shelters to be dry. Camp low.
Thanks, we will be SOBO. I thought about Hickory Flats and we are tenting so maybe we push on.

Captn
11-01-2007, 13:14
Mountain Crossings has a new website ... www.mountaincrossings.com (http://www.mountaincrossings.com).

They are adding a Water Report link on their page for the Georgia AT.

Just thought all would like to know ...

It should be up and active in about an hour.

Pacific Tortuga
11-01-2007, 20:02
I heard the GA. AL. & FLA. gove's got together to talk about how much water to be let out of the GA. dam's.
Ga. gov said, "GA. has about 80 days of drinking water in storage". Can that be true ?

Dances with Mice
11-01-2007, 20:23
I heard the GA. AL. & FLA. gove's got together to talk about how much water to be let out of the GA. dam's.
Ga. gov said, "GA. has about 80 days of drinking water in storage". Can that be true ?Kinda sorta maybe so, maybe no. It's a politician talking so never believe what you hear. It all depends on who answers the question. The Corps of Engineers (who control the water release) say we got months more. They say the water we see is just the top of the lake, there's lots more underneath.

And having been in the Army myself, I see the humor in that. But the mayor of ATL and the Gov of GA aren't laughing.

All I know is that when I drive over the Chattahoochee (the river that's damned for ATL's supply) that sucker's full bank-to-bank, more water is flowing out than there would be if it were still a natural river.

Some say "yeah, well, that's what dams are for! They even out the downstream water flow, holding back floods and quenching droughts."

Right now the major issue appears to be getting the Corps to agree that there really is a drought and that they need to start considering how much water they really need to let out each day.

And the folk downstream really love the Corps' current water release schedule. Those folk have govenors too.

FatMan
11-01-2007, 20:36
Ga. gov said, "GA. has about 80 days of drinking water in storage". Can that be true ?He's a politician, so if his lips were moving he was lying.:rolleyes: The Army Corp estimates about a 280 day supply and the other night on an Atlanta TV Station they interviewed a neutral "Water Expert" (Whatever the heck that is) and he pretty much sided with the Army Corp.

Lake Lanier is F'ing huge. 89,000 acres, 262 miles of shoreline, and over 100 feet deep in the main body near the dam with depths up to 160 feet. It ain't going dry anytime soon. But when officials suggest an 80 day supply it sure makes for good news stories. Oh, and if they just closed the damn dam it would take years (maybe a decade) without rain to drain the lake. The fight over the water in that lake has been going on for 20 years.

Don't take my rant wrong. I do believe conservation is in order, and I do believe that some water needs to be released downstream (even if a couple of weeks ago LA (Lower Alabama) and the FLA panhandle were having flood warnings;). But this story has more to do with politics, than a real water crisis. The real problem in North Georgia is with people who depend on shallow wells and springs. Many are completely out of water or surviving on a trickle. I spoke to a contractor the other day that said the well company in Dahlonega has a 97 well backlog. At two days per well, that is a just about a full years businees for them.

envirodiver
11-07-2007, 15:20
Are the recent rains not recharging the aquifers?

envirodiver
11-07-2007, 15:22
Checked that site www.mountaincrossings.com (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/) and it is good info, if accurate. I assume it is.