PDA

View Full Version : Hikers Welcome at the Settlers Museum of SWVA

settlersmuseum
08-03-2006, 11:40
Hi there Hikers!

You may have passed right by us here at the Settlers Museum of Southwest Virginia without even realizing! We are located near Groseclose, Virginia (in Atkins). The AT runs right through the Museum property... our restored 1894 One Room School house sits right beside the trail.

We just want to let you know that we LOVE you guys! We have been trying to keep fresh water, as well as fruits and veggies on hand for you all. Hikers are also admitted FREE into the museum and are welcome to take the whole tour at no charge.

We are working on getting more for you all- and would appreciate suggestions as to what we can do to help.

If you are coming through- please stop in the Lindamood School and sign the register. We love reading all the notes and stories from you guys! Also- inside the school is where we leave the fruit and veggies.

We are having an event on october 14th.... and would LOVE for you hikers to come join in the festivities. Admission will be FREE for you. Although- we do love donations!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. Visit our new website for more information, and please let us know what more we can do for you.

Sincerely,
Catie House
webmaster at the Settlers Museum
http://www.settlersmuseum.com

StarLyte
08-03-2006, 11:48
Dear Catie-

Thanks for posting that lovely announcement.

You do realize that this date conflicts with the Gathering? If you could back up that date by a few days I'm sure you'd have a housefull. I'm doing a road trip prior to the Gathering and would be in that area so I will stop by.

Thanks for the info--take care!!

MOWGLI
08-03-2006, 11:58
:welcome Catie:

When I passed through the museum grounds as I hiked through the area in 2000 - I poked my head in a few of the buildings. The lure of a shower, meal, and bed at the Village Motel was too much - so I continued along the trail. Since then, everytime I pass through the area on I-81 - most recently this past Tuesday - I yearn to stop in and spend more time. I will do that sometime. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Thanks for maintaining the museum - and for all you do.

Jeffrey Hunter

PS: I echo Marsha's sentiments regarding the conflict. I too will be traveling to West Virginia for an event the weekend of October 13-15. Will you be open on October 12 or 16?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-03-2006, 12:14
Chiming in to say I've been to this museum and it is well worth taking a few hours off the trail to experience. It will give you some history of the area and will give you an understanding of some of the artifacts you pass on the trail.

settlersmuseum
08-03-2006, 12:32
Thanks for such positive responses! Wow!

As far as the Oct. 14th event- we didn't know about the conflict.... and won't be able to reschedule. We are using the proceeds from the event to buy a Mule team to plow with- and the big mule sale is the weekend after, so we need to do it then. But- we are open Every day except Mondays.... so there is always another time for you to visit with us.

The museum is definately a labor of love for us! We receive No government funding, and are completely donor and volunteer supported. But- we feel it is vitally important to preserve the "old ways" before it is too late.

We have a new Director (actually- my hubby) so things are changing a little. We Really want to help all the hikers. We are adding new programs and want to include you guys if we can. For example- one thing we are working on for y'all is internet access... and a possible post drop.

Please let us know what we can do to serve you all better... and don't be strangers!

Thanks so much,
Catie

Hikerhead
08-03-2006, 13:33
Tell your husband that I was the one who drove up to the farm house in my car a couple of weeks ago. The gate was open, I didn't see a sign saying you couldn't drive up, I thought there might be a parking lot at the farmhouse, never been there before. He was nice about it, he was very nice about it, even told us about it being a working farm next year with cows, horses, that sort of thing. The old dude back down at the gate gave me the "I'll shot your ars off the next time you do that" look. But what a great place and your husband will do a fine job, he's got the spitit.

settlersmuseum
08-03-2006, 14:28
Hi Hokey Pokey-

I heard about you!! Ha ha. We are working on what to do about the farm lane. So many people Do drive up there- and there isn't any sign prohibiting it... and we actually encourage our elderly visitors to drive (it's hard for them to walk that far sometimes)... still all that car traffic is tearing up the lane... and with an extremely minimal budget, very difficult for us to repair. We're in the process of getting a few Golf Carts for our elderly visitors, and when we do- the lane will be officially closed to car traffic.

I'm glad Dylan (my hubby- the director) was nice to you! And- you're right- we Are working to get the animals back on the farm. Can you believe that someone stole our horses a few years back?!? Any hikers who want to help pitch in with some of these projects are MORE than welcome to!!! We're starting with fence-posts this month... gettin ready for the new Mule team in October. hint hint....

For all the hikers- we love having you guys- love helping you out- and are glad to be a safe access point for drop-offs and pick-ups. Please help us to continue to be available for you all. You are always welcome to use our parking lot to meet up with your people, as well as parking for day and short term hikes. If you need to leave your vehicle overnight- just let us know up at the Visitor's Center on the hill so we can keep an eye on it for you.

Thanks again for all the positive responses! We look forward to seeing you at the museum!

Catie

JojoSmiley
08-03-2006, 19:31
Cool! I always made time to stop at the Lindamood School on my hikes. Sat in one of the desks one time and memories of going to school in a two room schoolhouse in 3-6 grade just flowed over me. Thanks for all you are doing and plan to do in the future!

Brushy Sage
08-03-2006, 19:55
I stopped and looked around when I hiked through there in 2002. I didn't realize the significance of the site, and it was getting on in the afternoon, so I didn't linger. Thanks for the friendly invitation. Do you have anything posted at the Mt. Rogers ranger station? That will help northbound hikers learn something about the museum, and build up some anticipation. It is most likely to be noticed if you post it near the sign for pizza delivery!

Hikerhead
08-03-2006, 20:00
Keep us informed on when you're looking for help on fence post or other projects. You'll be amazed by how many of us dirty hikers will show up to lend a hand. I wouldn't mind spending a day down there.

Me and my hiking buddy had walked by the school early that morning on the way up to the Ranger Station. We did a key switch with 2 others coming down the mtn. While we were waiting for them to show up at the truckstop we drove around to the school to try to catch them there and that's when we found the farm house. Very neat place, we couldn't believe how cool it was inside the house with it being such a hot day.

Do you have a water supply like a spicket for hikers? I know you have the spring house.

For your older customers, why not hitch up the horses to a trailer? On second thought, I imagine there might be a lot of regs with that being a goverment backed operation.

Hi Hokey Pokey-

I heard about you!! Ha ha. We are working on what to do about the farm lane. So many people Do drive up there- and there isn't any sign prohibiting it... and we actually encourage our elderly visitors to drive (it's hard for them to walk that far sometimes)... still all that car traffic is tearing up the lane... and with an extremely minimal budget, very difficult for us to repair. We're in the process of getting a few Golf Carts for our elderly visitors, and when we do- the lane will be officially closed to car traffic.

I'm glad Dylan (my hubby- the director) was nice to you! And- you're right- we Are working to get the animals back on the farm. Can you believe that someone stole our horses a few years back?!? Any hikers who want to help pitch in with some of these projects are MORE than welcome to!!! We're starting with fence-posts this month... gettin ready for the new Mule team in October. hint hint....

For all the hikers- we love having you guys- love helping you out- and are glad to be a safe access point for drop-offs and pick-ups. Please help us to continue to be available for you all. You are always welcome to use our parking lot to meet up with your people, as well as parking for day and short term hikes. If you need to leave your vehicle overnight- just let us know up at the Visitor's Center on the hill so we can keep an eye on it for you.

Thanks again for all the positive responses! We look forward to seeing you at the museum!

Catie

Blissful
08-03-2006, 21:32
Wow, this is great info to know about in time for my 2007 thru.

Thanks SO much for your wonderful welcome!

Sly
08-03-2006, 21:41
In '97 I stopped and was given a tour by the attendeant and made a modest donation. Neat little place!

settlersmuseum
08-03-2006, 22:00
Please don't drink the water from the Well House!!! It is contaminated! We've had it tested several times, and even though we've tried to remedy the situation- it still tests positive for some pretty nasty stuff. Now- I don't think it will kill you- and there's probably not enough bacteria in there to do you any serious harm- but it's best to avoid it.

We Do have a source of clean water in a spigot on the side of the picnic shelter, although it always gets turned off when the museum is not open. Because of that- we try to keep a few gallon jugs of clean water on the porch at the visitor's center. We will probably start leaving bottled water in the schoolhousefor you all soon. I know that getting a safe source of water while out on the trail must be a concern for you all.

And you're right- the house Does stay cool even on the hottest days. The "ole timers" really knew how to maximize the natural resources! The kitchen is a perfect example of that. They cooked on a woodstove- even in the summer- but it was bearable because the two doors on each side that allow a pretty swift breeze.

As far as projects... we will let you all know when our next scheduled work day will be. But- every day is a work day on a farm! Even if we don't have a specific project I'm Sure we can find something for you to do!!

Thanks for all the warm responses we've had. We're just glad to share the trail with y'all!

Thanks,
Catie

Keep us informed on when you're looking for help on fence post or other projects. You'll be amazed by how many of us dirty hikers will show up to lend a hand. I wouldn't mind spending a day down there.

Me and my hiking buddy had walked by the school early that morning on the way up to the Ranger Station. We did a key switch with 2 others coming down the mtn. While we were waiting for them to show up at the truckstop we drove around to the school to try to catch them there and that's when we found the farm house. Very neat place, we couldn't believe how cool it was inside the house with it being such a hot day.

Do you have a water supply like a spicket for hikers? I know you have the spring house.

TJ aka Teej
08-03-2006, 22:29
Catie, thanks for the hospitality, and welcome to Whiteblaze! :welcome

Kaptain Kangaroo
08-04-2006, 07:44
It's worth stopping in at the Lindamood schoolhouse just to read the teachers rules posted on the wall !!! employment conditions were a little tougher back in the 1800's !!!

MOWGLI
08-04-2006, 07:59
Please don't drink the water from the Well House!!! It is contaminated! We've had it tested several times, and even though we've tried to remedy the situation- it still tests positive for some pretty nasty stuff. Now- I don't think it will kill you- and there's probably not enough bacteria in there to do you any serious harm- but it's best to avoid it.

Thanks,
Catie

Katie:

If you haven't done so already, it might be a good idea to post a sign indicating the water is not potable in the well house.

settlersmuseum
08-04-2006, 09:36
Katie:

If you haven't done so already, it might be a good idea to post a sign indicating the water is not potable in the well house.

Wow! Sometimes the simplest solutions escape us, don't they? OF COURSE! We will put a notice inside the well-house tomorrow.

Please keep coming with the suggestions. We really want to help you guys as much as we can.

Personally, I admire each and every one of you!

You know- In a way- the trail itself is a modern migration story. The Settlers Museum exists to tell the story of the German and Scotch Irish Settlers who came to these mountains in the 1800s. It is amazing how much of the AT follows the original path the settlers took.

When I am walking the trail at the museum, I can't help but feel a sense of respect and awe... to be walking in the footsteps of generations of people. There's something almost magical about walking that path. So many others have walked there- so many stories, dreams dreamed- so much life has been lived! I can't imagine hiking the whole trail... it must be a transformative experience.

At any rate- we love being part of your journey. And look forward to meeting more of you!

Thanks so much,

Catie

Blue Jay
08-04-2006, 20:39
Catie, I love your place. I've been there three times. The first time I was there, there was no one around, but everything was open and wonderful. Since I live in New England and we are afraid of everything, it gave me such a strong sense of your trust. I was really very moved. The next two times the staff members made me feel like family. Your little section of trail is one of my all time favorite places, and that is saying a lot. Thankyouthankyouthankyou

One Leg
08-05-2006, 02:39
I remember y'all from '04.. All I met were very nice folks, and I'd love to return and spend a little more time there..

minnesotasmith
08-05-2006, 06:50
a hostel in that town, was there? Near-Trail towns without one are a "grab a sandwich and a bag of groceries, then haul b*tt before it gets dark" places for the vast majority of hikers IMO.

Lilred
08-05-2006, 09:42
I stopped by the schoolhouse on my section this summer. I loved it!! Being a schoolteacher, I was especially appreciative of the efforts to keep that building in good repair. Thanks for all you do. When I do my thru, I had planned to stop at that museum and spend more time there. I was in a hurry to get to Atkins before dark that day.

settlersmuseum
08-05-2006, 15:24
Hi to all of you!

No- unfortunately- there is no hostel in the area... yet. We have some big plans for the museum... some of them having to do with You guys. We are in the planning stages to build a new visitor's center/museum- with the plan to turn the current one into a hostel for you all. The goal is to have this complete within 5 years.

Part of the reason we are reaching out to you hikers is because we are planning so many big changes- and we really want to make sure that we include Your ideas and suggestions in our plans.

And a Big thanks to those of you who have stopped to see us already. We always enjoy having you come through! In fact- thanks to you hikers, we had visitors last year from almost every State in the nation. That's pretty impressive for a little farming museum in Southwest Virginia! And- we couldn't have done it without you! As always- hikers are admitted Free. We are happy to be sharing the trail with You- and want to make y'all feel welcome when you come through our area... so we'll never ask for your money (hiking 3000+ miles is expensive enough without factoring in museum donations! ...of course- we would never discourage you from leaving a donation... if you'd like to!)

Thanks again for all the kind words. We ARE nice folks! So- drop on by- and keep the suggestions and ideas coming!

thanks,
Catie

jimtanker
08-05-2006, 20:44
settlersmuseum - You guys rock. I like what youre doing for the hiking community.

Lilred
08-06-2006, 14:20
you want suggestions, here ya go. A hostel would be great there!! Anything would beat the hotel up the trail. Anyhow, my suggestion is to keep it in time with the rest of the place. Create a hostel that would have been in operation at the same time frame as the farm. When I stayed in Troutdale, there was no laundramat. We were thankful when some locals gave us a washboard and tub. And I do hope you charge for the hostel.

Blue Jay
08-06-2006, 20:49
you want suggestions, here ya go. A hostel would be great there!! Anything would beat the hotel up the trail.

Now wait just a minute, I've also stayed at that motel up the trail several times and have always been treated well. You don't build up one trail service provider by pulling down another.

Lilred
08-07-2006, 10:57
Now wait just a minute, I've also stayed at that motel up the trail several times and have always been treated well. You don't build up one trail service provider by pulling down another.

Never said I was mistreated. The hotel room smelled really, really badly and the sheets hadn't been changed nor had the tub been cleaned in awhile. Did I complain to the management? NO, We payed nearly fifty dollars and left the next morning.
I would question calling this place a trail service provider. They are a motel, and had I pulled up in my car and been given a room like that, for that price, I would have moved on. Miss Janet, Bob Peoples, TrailangelMary, they are trail service providers. This place is a motel first, and making a quick buck off of people who have very little other choices if they want a shower.

Blue Jay, just because there is a business convenient to the trail doesn't mean it's a good business. If a hostel opened at Settler's Museum, you bet I'd stay there over the motel every time, and I bet a lot of other hikers would too. Overcharging for sub-standard rooms is not providing a service to any hiker I know.

Blue Jay
08-07-2006, 12:11
If a hostel opened at Settler's Museum, you bet I'd stay there over the motel every time, and I bet a lot of other hikers would too. Overcharging for sub-standard rooms is not providing a service to any hiker I know.

Yes,
I would stay at the Settler's Museum even if it were more expensive. The fact is there can't be a Miss Janet at each road crossing. Most of the services provided near the AT are commercial and hikers are a very small minority of customers. You stayed there once, I've stayed there 4 times and the sheets were washed, people drove me around and the price was low. This particular place changes owners all the time and I'm sure you just hit a bad one.

Lilred
08-07-2006, 21:33
Yes,
I would stay at the Settler's Museum even if it were more expensive. The fact is there can't be a Miss Janet at each road crossing. Most of the services provided near the AT are commercial and hikers are a very small minority of customers. You stayed there once, I've stayed there 4 times and the sheets were washed, people drove me around and the price was low. This particular place changes owners all the time and I'm sure you just hit a bad one.

Perhaps I did hit a bad one. Just goes to show that no two hikes are the same.

Kerosene
08-08-2006, 08:32
I was planning to do this section with my daughter back in June, but work got in the way and we hope to do it next June. We will definitely stop in for a visit.

settlersmuseum
08-08-2006, 11:07
Hello again to all the hikers!

We love lilredmg's suggestion of a hostel set in the same time period as the farm! What a fun and unique idea! We'll definately keep that in mind as we continue our plans for the hostel. We may go ahead and provide washtub, board and homeade soap for you all to wash clothes with. You could hang them on the line to dry... Any interest in this?

As for the Relax-Inn- (the one just down the trail from us)- we have worked with them many times to house people for our events here. We have found the people to be very friendly. Now- I have never actually stayed in any of their rooms- so I can't vouch for the cleanliness... and it's true that the place has changed hands several times... But- the people at the Relax-Inn are our Neighbors! So- we like them!

It has been Great to hear from all of you who have written about the Settlers Museum. We are happy to have found this way of communicating with you as a group- and look forward to meeting each one of you as you pass through!

Uncle Silly
08-08-2006, 12:02
I too stopped by the Settler's Museum on my hike in 2005. A very cool place -- I enjoyed sitting down with the register in the little schoolhouse. The fellow I was hiking with and I took the tour, and the museum folks were very cool with my dog hanging out (leashed) in front of the museum. Thanks for all of your encouragement and assistance for the hikers!