PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About Hiking The P.c.t.

undergroundnathan
08-03-2006, 15:40
Ive been on the A.T. three years in a row and havent completed it yet,but I will adventuly.Ive been on the P.C.T. four times,just fifty mile sections,in washington and oregon.I still have tendenitis in my foot a little,I know how to take care of it now.I fell like trying something differrent this coming year.Ive always wanted to do the P.C.T.Been a little scared to try it on my own.I need to do some research on it ,and get the maps and some books.Is there something on the enternet like whiteblaze for the P.C.T.I wish I could find a hiking partner for the trip. Well I got to go. Thank you. sincerly UNDERGROUND.

Sly
08-03-2006, 17:03
No website like Whiteblaze for the PCT but there is a trail specific forum here. There's also the backcountry.net pct-l frequented by folks with latest trail news and conditions.

I suggest you start with the Pacific Crest Trail Association website...

www.pcta.org

It's an awesome trail, generally regarded by people that have done both as, easier to hike and much more scenic than the AT. Of course, the mountains are higher, the snow deeper, the fords more prevalent and swifter, and the deserts hotter...

Ridge
08-08-2006, 23:09
get Yogi's (AT alumni) PCT guide. www.pcthandbook.com

Nean
08-09-2006, 01:40
Get out there and love it UNDERGROUND. Careful that you don't become old trail trash like some on this site.:eek: :D :) ;)

saimyoji
08-09-2006, 02:12
Ridge here on WB should have some good recent info. on the PCT. :eek:;)

Time To Fly 97
08-09-2006, 16:19
Hi Underground,

There is a PCT kickoff every year. Good place to meet other hikers, get advice and possibly link up with partners.

I used the PCT handbook, Ray Jardine's info, PCTA.org, advice from friends and maps for most of my research. The early sections in Southern CA are desert crossing. You will need to go much lighter to make up for more water weight, not hike in hottest parts of the day, be aware of water caches, etc. These sections are beautiful and very different from anything on the AT. Long but graded climbs, incredible views, big sky, always sunny, resupply towns are small, great smells (sage, etc.).

The Sierra mountains are breathtaking (in beauty and from the effects of elevation) and will require ice ax and knowledge of self arrest techniques (just in case) over the snowcaps. Plenty of fresh water here!!

I started the PCT in 2000 and went from Mexico to Tahoe. Along the way, we veered off into Yosimite to complete the John Muir Trail.

I loved this hike and would advocate soloing based on my experience with a partner who wasn't dialed in on thru-hiking.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Sly
08-09-2006, 16:44
Lots of good dumpster diving on the PCT! Right TTF? ;) (a personal joke, no one will get!)

the goat
08-09-2006, 17:13
Ridge here on WB should have some good recent info. on the PCT. :eek:;)

:eek: roflmao:D

Time To Fly 97
08-10-2006, 10:08
Lots of good dumpster diving on the PCT! Right TTF? ;) (a personal joke, no one will get!)

Well, let's just say THAT was a resupply point I hadn't planned on. Thank God for Arch-trail Angels! :D

TTF

Dranoel
12-17-2007, 12:50
No website like Whiteblaze for the PCT but there is a trail specific forum here. There's also the backcountry.net pct-l frequented by folks with latest trail news and conditions.

I suggest you start with the Pacific Crest Trail Association website...

www.pcta.org (http://www.pcta.org)

It's an awesome trail, generally regarded by people that have done both as, easier to hike and much more scenic than the AT. Of course, the mountains are higher, the snow deeper, the fords more prevalent and swifter, and the deserts hotter...

There is a web site that now is for the PCT:

http://adventureonthepct.com/index.php

It is modeled after WhiteBlaze- but it is newer. Enjoy.

minnesotasmith
12-17-2007, 13:37
I met on the AT in 2006 at Fontana, and saw again in Hot Springs, whose original trail name was Underground Radio?

Alligator
12-17-2007, 13:44
I met on the AT in 2006 at Fontana, and saw again in Hot Springs, whose original trail name was Underground Radio?I think you are correct MS, Nathan doesn't post too frequently. Note this post was over a year old.

MOWGLI
12-17-2007, 13:45
Yes, that's him.

Alligator
12-17-2007, 14:12
I would say that based upon my knowledge of him, this hiker has a long way to go to get his manner of dealing with life in order, for any thruhikes to be reasonable goals for his future.Funny how that was exactly what most people thought about you before your hike.

minnesotasmith
12-17-2007, 14:22
Funny how that was exactly what most people thought about you before your hike.

My determination, honest character, self-reliance, and financial preparedness were not in question. I did not have to beg for food money less than 300 miles into a 2100+ mile hike.

Alligator
12-17-2007, 14:32
My determination, honest character, self-reliance, and financial preparedness were not in question. I did not have to beg for food money less than 300 miles into a 2100+ mile hike.There are many other factors to "dealing with life" than these.

You might have been inside the church that day, but you don't seem to have been listening.

Sly
12-17-2007, 14:38
There is a web site that now is for the PCT:

http://adventureonthepct.com/index.php

It is modeled after WhiteBlaze- but it is newer. Enjoy.

That's cool, thanks There's a good chance I'll be hiking the PCT next year. I just joined.

Sly
12-17-2007, 14:43
My determination, honest character, self-reliance, and financial preparedness were not in question. I did not have to beg for food money less than 300 miles into a 2100+ mile hike.

5-1 you couldn't pull it off on the PCT. Not as many hikers, hostels, trail crossings or trail angels. :p And it's 500 miles longer! :eek:

minnesotasmith
12-17-2007, 16:20
5-1 you couldn't pull it off on the PCT. Not as many hikers, hostels, trail crossings or trail angels. :p And it's 500 miles longer! :eek:

I went from Hiawassee to Fontana without resupply in Feb-March '06, and don't think I did over a 10-mile day in there anywhere.

Also, I hiked for two weeks with a guy who'd thruhiked the PCT the year before. I understand that the PCT has far fewer steep grades (and elevation changes in general) than does the AT, so a PCT thruhike ends up taking about as long on average as do AT thruhikes. The main issues on the PCT according to my friend are a shorter season in which to hike, rarer water sources, higher altitude, and mountain passes that are choke with a fathom or more of snow surprisingly late into the year. I would also expect the quality of water sources and lack of shade to be issues for many; no going without treating water from sources with cattle footprints all around it, or going without a hat in any weather if there's only rarely shade at midday.

I should add that I live in Colorado now, and have been dayhiking here. I can't even discern altitude under 7000', and am not traumatized by altitudes up to 10,000', going by recent personal experiences here.

jesse
12-17-2007, 17:59
if 2006 taught us anything; it was not to bet againts MS

matsonian
12-30-2007, 20:19
My father and I are planning a one month trip on the PCT. He is doing most of the research and has found the PCTA to be most helpful. We are documenting our preparation at matsonianpct.blogspot.com

Footslogger
12-30-2007, 20:56
Ive been on the A.T. three years in a row and havent completed it yet,but I will adventuly.Ive been on the P.C.T. four times,just fifty mile sections,in washington and oregon.I still have tendenitis in my foot a little,I know how to take care of it now.I fell like trying something differrent this coming year.Ive always wanted to do the P.C.T.Been a little scared to try it on my own.I need to do some research on it ,and get the maps and some books.Is there something on the enternet like whiteblaze for the P.C.T.I wish I could find a hiking partner for the trip. Well I got to go. Thank you. sincerly UNDERGROUND.

=====================================

The PCT is on my 2009 calendar. Sounds like you're leaning towards a 2008 hike. Personally, I'm not planning on having a hiking "partner" per se but I do sincerely hope to meet and hike in the company of others from time to time.

'Slogger

chris
12-31-2007, 16:16
Judging from what I saw at ADZ, if you start at the Kickoff, you'll have 500 friends to hike with at the start. Starting at another time might be a good idea.