PDA

View Full Version : so you wanna suffer.

mweinstone
08-03-2006, 17:42
describe your abilitys and exspirience with phisical challange such as hard work or wilderness travel you have done or never done THAT PREPARES YOU OR DOESNT PREPARE YOU FOR THIS HIKE.

in my opinion a successful thru hike of the appalachian trail leaves all of us exsperts in these areas: WALKING,WEIGHT LIFTING,CAMPING,NAVIGATION,MEDITATION,
SUFFERING.

corentin
08-03-2006, 22:42
I was raised fundamentalist Baptist, does that count for enough suffering and endurance?

Skidsteer
08-03-2006, 22:46
I was raised fundamentalist Baptist, does that count for enough suffering and endurance?

I was raised in the Grace Brethern church. We considered Baptists a bit loose in their morals. :D

Dances with Mice
08-03-2006, 23:05
I was raised in the Grace Brethern church. We considered Baptists a bit loose in their morals. My church believed in Allah.

As in "Allah y'all are goin' tah Hay-yell!"

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-04-2006, 07:40
LMAO at the responses so far. I was raised in a church that is deemed a cult by some. The youth minister from my teen years is doing 15 -25 yrs for child abuse. Will this qualify me in regarding to suffering and endurance?

Lone Wolf
08-04-2006, 07:43
describe your abilitys and exspirience with phisical challange such as hard work or wilderness travel you have done or never done THAT PREPARES YOU OR DOESNT PREPARE YOU FOR THIS HIKE.

in my opinion a successful thru hike of the appalachian trail leaves all of us exsperts in these areas: WALKING,WEIGHT LIFTING,CAMPING,NAVIGATION,MEDITATION,
SUFFERING.
Money prepares you for a thru-hike.

A thru-hike makes you an expert in avoiding work.

MOWGLI
08-04-2006, 07:46
I think I have you all beat. My Mother-In-Law visited and stayed three weeks in the early 90s. After that, I was ready for a long walk on broken glass - barefoot. How's THAT for pain & suffering? :rolleyes:

Michele
08-04-2006, 08:26
I once had a short-term job scooping poop off the floor at a dog show! Does that count? (it WAS cool seeing all the dogs though...and it's really true, owners and their dogs do look the same!).

I was also once "taken in" one time by a family whose t.v. never had anything playing on it but the PTL (Praise the Lord) that evangilical show. I locked myself in my room until I saved up enough $ to move into a motel for a while.

1Pint
08-04-2006, 08:46
I don't want to suffer. That's why I surf this site. I want to go in knowing as much as I reasonably can so I'm prepared for the mental and physical challenges that will happen on the trail. Of course there will be some suffering caused by weather or injury or whatever. However, if there wasn't a large possibility of failure, I wouldn't be so interested in conquering the challenge. I know that's a boring, dry answer after the witty ones above, and I'm sorry.

As for what I'm doing.... I'm forcing myself to show up to work for the next 7 months so that I have money to hike the trail. I would love to ditch the job (I like it but I'm burnt out and ready for adventure) and hike the trail this year, but I need time to get all my ducks in a row. I assume that discipline and perseverance will assist me on the trail.

Footslogger
08-04-2006, 09:15
=================================
I'll see that and raise you ...12 years of catholic school

'Slogger

peanuts
08-04-2006, 10:53
And I'll raise you...... boarding catholic school........

kyhipo
08-04-2006, 10:56
the fact I have to go home after a hike thats suffering.ky

StarLyte
08-04-2006, 10:57
I think I have you all beat. My Mother-In-Law visited and stayed three weeks in the early 90s. After that, I was ready for a long walk on broken glass - barefoot. How's THAT for pain & suffering? :rolleyes:

That's ground for leaving home. Period.

Don't do that to yourself again :D

StarLyte
08-04-2006, 10:58
LMAO at the responses so far. I was raised in a church that is deemed a cult by some. The youth minister from my teen years is doing 15 -25 yrs for child abuse. Will this qualify me in regarding to suffering and endurance?

SURE DOES.

RockyTrail
08-04-2006, 11:12

SUFFERING.

Back to the original question...as for things that don't prepare:

If seen more than one person say "Backpacking will be easy because I run 6 miles a day" and then get on the trail and find it very, very tough slogging. Running is great for building cardio strength, but hiking a pack up and over mountains is a whole different ball game; not necessarily harder, but definitely a different set of muscles are used. Likewise, hiking 10 miles with pack in a flat city park to prepare is no comparison to the AT in my humble opinion. But on a starimaster...haven't tried it but probably closer...hiking is the best exercise I have discovered yet.

Rain
08-04-2006, 12:01
My failed '05 hike taught me a lot about myself. I hiked on over a month with Giardia, screwed up my knees something fierce, and lost friends and family that year. Yet somehow, I still managed to put one foot in front of the other. '05 taught me about dogged determination and just how strong a force it is. Suffering is a part of life, the trail is no exception.

Mother's Finest
08-04-2006, 12:48
hey mowgli, how about my Grand-Mother In Law staying with us for about one month when her husband needed to be down here for medical reasons?

broken glass? I would have eaten it to get her out of the house.....

as for a thru, for me, money=time=good hiking

peace
mf

MOWGLI
08-04-2006, 12:56
That's ground for leaving home. Period.

Don't do that to yourself again :D

Yea, she's OK, but we couldn't stand each other for about 5 years after that visit.

She rearranged all the cupboards in the kitchen so I couldn't find anything. She gave me a hard time because the spices were alphabatized and I messed up "her" system. I got yelled at for putting a glass in the sink after walking in the door after a long day of work, and I got questions like "is that shirt you're wearing dirty? I'm about to do a load of laundry."

It's the little things, but when someone with different ideas takes over your house - it's time for a long hike.

PS: She tried the Catholic guilt trip by walking a mile to the church in tears because of how I supposedly treated her. Then my kids yelled at me for upsetting Grandma and making her cry. Sheesh! I still love her - but from 120 miles.

Alligator
08-04-2006, 13:52
Yea, she's OK, but we couldn't stand each other for about 5 years after that visit.

At least it turned out for the best:D .

I once let my mother-in-law and mother help me on a long move. (Step-Dad, but he was reasonable.) They stayed for a few days after too:( .

Let's just say on the next move that I gladly hauled the washer and dryer up a full flight of basement steps alone. Plus all the other big stuff throughout the house: the refrigerator, the couches, dressers, etc.:banana

I did need two guys to help with the piano. They weren't sure we could get it out. I told them that me and my Step-Dad hauled it in, so let's get to work and move it out!

Phreak
08-04-2006, 14:24
I've been an obsessive ultramarathoner for the past 4 years, long training runs average 40-60 miles on the GA AT; I bike 150-200 miles per week; spend 8-10 days per month out on the trail; lots of speed hikes ranging from 35-48 MPD; strength training 2-3 times per week; strict nutrition (no fast food, processed food, sweets, etc).

Seems pretty easy compared to some of the other posts! :D

onicoe
08-04-2006, 17:36
i'm hardly prepared, but i'm determined. i think i just might have a small panic attack when i get there come march even, but i'll swallow it all down and start walking north.

cannonball
08-04-2006, 17:50
Some how I don't see where having the oppurtunity to take 6 months out of ones life and hiking the AT and the word suffering can be used in the same context.

Lone Wolf
08-04-2006, 20:08
I've been an obsessive ultramarathoner for the past 4 years, long training runs average 40-60 miles on the GA AT; I bike 150-200 miles per week; spend 8-10 days per month out on the trail; lots of speed hikes ranging from 35-48 MPD; strength training 2-3 times per week; strict nutrition (no fast food, processed food, sweets, etc).

Seems pretty easy compared to some of the other posts! :D
Training for, running in and completing an ultra is much much harder than an AT thru-hike. hands down.

mweinstone
08-04-2006, 20:17
ditto wolverene.

HapKiDo
08-07-2006, 22:38
In one word: RETIRE.:D

Ahh, retirement, the seven-day weekend, the perpetual vacation.

Gray Blazer
08-08-2006, 07:50
I teach elementary school. Does that count?

the_iceman
08-08-2006, 12:11
Since some people have tried to portray a thru-hike as getting easier I was thinking of having the big toe in my right foot removed so my hike would compare to maybe Avery’s. The joint bothers me a little anyway and I think it would make the hike a lot harder.

Plus, I am blind in one eye but I do not think that will make my hike even half as hard as Bill Irwin’s.

HIKER7s
08-08-2006, 13:19
some suffering

THE WEEK AFTER YOUR THRU- (it goes on and on, but sooner than later you got to get back in the civilized mode- damn)

THE WAY HOME FROM A WEEKEND TREK- (the people who you have just exposed to your world maybe tired and sleeping however your mind is still out there...it will take at least a day to become again dialed into home life)

SUFFERING AT HOME (do you ever get the "thats nice" nods and conversation but you know they dont get you. This suffering is from not having any hiker community around for days, weeks however long-drives you nuts. Especially if your spouse is a non-hiker, non-outdoor person- opposites attract though, right)

PROBLEMS WITH YOUR FEET, KNEES, EYES, INTERNALS...ANYTHING THAT WILL KEEP YOU OFF THE TRIAL -( you find thats your first thought ...."will I still be able to hike with this"

GEAR- YOU JUST GOT YOUR FILTER BACK FROM THE NEWBIE WHO GOT THE DISCHARGE DIRTY (this lack of attention to someones gear is one of the worst to suffer though, espacially that you want to smack em in the back o the head if they were already taught better)

BLISTERS- (especially when you realize the possibility your going to get on early in the day and procrastinate about it)

jazilla
08-08-2006, 14:17
I did 14 miles Last Saturday in 5 hours. Did the last 7 in 2 hours flat. even got rained on the last quarter mile. Here's training for you, ever get changed from wet hiking clothes in the front seat of a Jeep. There is a challange.

Blissful
08-08-2006, 15:11
I don't know, but some of those people hiking in ultra 100 degree heat and mosquitos up in NY and New England looked like they were suffering.

I don't think at all this is physical. It's really the mental game. One thru hiker told me its 90% mental. You gotta want it.

For me, I plan to take it one day at a time.

mweinstone
08-11-2006, 18:30
nobodys talked about lonlyness. its in the top three killers of thru hikes.

tired wet horny out of beer walkin fools.

Pacific Tortuga
08-11-2006, 18:58
Training for, running in and completing an ultra is much much harder than an AT thru-hike. hands down.

Sorry L. Wolf it has escaped me, how many thru's have you done to base this opinion on ? You don't compete in ultra's..do ya? :rolleyes: When is your next race ? Good luck you dawg.

jpepper
08-11-2006, 20:05
Suffering isnt that bad when you get used to it. I

jpepper
08-11-2006, 21:22
Suffering isnt that bad when you get used to it. I had bone cancer in jan06and they took 3/4 of my tibia out, replaced it with a cadavier bone and a rod from my knee to my ankle, plus a couple plates and screws so its nice and strong but im just now starting to walk without crutches. i tried a southbound in 2001 and got as far as ct, this spring im going all the way down. im going to suffer a great deal and im kinda thinking that the pain in my leg will make the typical discomforts seem not so bad. i noticed that suffering evolves (not neccessarily get better or worse) until you end whatever is causing the suffering. for me, the suffering of day to day life without being able to walk is far worse than any of the discomforts of the trail that i can remember.

also, its hard to prepare for having a pack on your back for 80% of your functioning day, walking up and down mountains, staying wet, hungry, cold and the the most challenging part of my mental hike was to much thinking, i heard about 911 from a "crazy" guy who asked me for a radio rapping about someone crashing planes into the buildings. after i heard it was true i realized that anything could happen to anyone i know and i couldnt find out for days. it can get wierd out there and i think that aside from some stretching and maybe some billy blanks, the trail prepares you for the trail.....i aint no expert or nuthin tho

tired wet horny out of beer walkin fools.............the truth is staggaring