PDA

View Full Version : Hitchin' into Bartlett, NH

Phreak
08-03-2006, 21:17
Is it a difficult hitch? Is this town worth a trip for a resupply/maildrop?

Thanks!

rickb
08-03-2006, 21:49
Not much of a town there, but you could find short-term resupply if the store is open or at a roadside camp store on the way. Shouldn't be a hard hitch there as the AT Trailhead sees a lot of activity.

Phreak
08-03-2006, 21:54
Thanks for the info!

Peaks
08-04-2006, 08:36
From the AT crossing in Crawford Notch, I think that the better place to hitch to is Crawford Notch General Store and Campground (I think that's the name of the place). Same direction, only closer to the AT. It's a popular resupply spot for thru-hikers.

Not much in Barlett. I've never been into the store, but it looks pretty small.

There is a larger grocery store in Glen, the next town beyond Barlett.

neighbor dave
08-04-2006, 09:11
:-? we didn't need much chow from there to gorham. you can eat left overs at the huts(sometimes) eat on top of washington, eat at pinkham. (just for an example) we made it from mizpah hut to gorham in 2 1/2 days
the campground peaks is talkin' about is great for resupply! showers too!!:D

Footslogger
08-04-2006, 09:18
Just drove through that area in early July. I would agree that the grocery store in Crawford Notch (intersection of Rt 321 and Rt 16 would probably be a better choice for resupply. Plenty of traffic on 321 at the Crawford Notch trail crossing so my guess would be that getting a ride wouldn't be too tough.

'Slogger

neighbor dave
08-04-2006, 10:22
Just drove through that area in early July. I would agree that the grocery store in Crawford Notch (intersection of Rt 321 and Rt 16 would probably be a better choice for resupply. Plenty of traffic on 321 at the Crawford Notch trail crossing so my guess would be that getting a ride wouldn't be too tough.

'Slogger
it's route 302. you don't need to go all the way to the junction of 302 and 16 to resupply, plus just for clarification, that junction is not in crawford notch but quite a few miles south of where the A.T. crosses rte 302.

Footslogger
08-04-2006, 10:44
it's route 302. you don't need to go all the way to the junction of 302 and 16 to resupply, plus just for clarification, that junction is not in crawford notch but quite a few miles south of where the A.T. crosses rte 302.
========================
My BAD ...yeah, it's Rt 302. Guess things seem a lot different when you're driving rather than hiking but that intersection didn't seem all that far away from the trail crossing and it is a full service grocery store.

Curious though that you mention not needing to go that far for re-supply. Where would you get a decent source of trail type foods closer to the trail crossing at Crawford Notch ??

'Slogger

neighbor dave
08-04-2006, 10:58
looky here..http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=227274&postcount=4

here it is!!!!....http://www.crawfordnotchcamping.com/:sun

neighbor dave
08-04-2006, 11:02
http://www.crawfordnotchcamping.com/

i put the sun too close to the other link! why is the edit feature not available here???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Footslogger
08-04-2006, 11:06
Ah yes ...Glen.

But it seems to me that's where 302 and 16 meet.

Damn I hate this short term memory loss. Better up my dose of Ginko.

'Slogger

neighbor dave
08-04-2006, 11:34
Ah yes ...Glen.

But it seems to me that's where 302 and 16 meet.

Damn I hate this short term memory loss. Better up my dose of Ginko.

'Slogger
harts location, not glen, bartlett is in between the two. hey slogger, i live in new hampshire, i know the area very well. glen is still a fair bit of distance to the south!!
harts location is approx. 3.5 miles to the south of the A.T. crossing. they really do have a good short term resupply there. bagels cheese liptons you name they got it. they're used to thru-hikers and are very friendly:welcome :sun

Footslogger
08-04-2006, 11:45
harts location, not glen, bartlett is in between the two. hey slogger, i live in new hampshire, i know the area very well. glen is still a fair bit of distance to the south!!
harts location is approx. 3.5 miles to the south of the A.T. crossing. they really do have a good short term resupply there. bagels cheese liptons you name they got it. they're used to thru-hikers and are very friendly:welcome :sun
=================================
Appreciate the info and clarification. Gonna make a note of that for my next hike through the area. Didn't re-supply out of Crawford Notch during my thru in 2003 and only knowledge of the area (from a road perspective) was from driving by there this past July.

Thanks again ...

'Slogger

Mr. Clean
08-05-2006, 09:18
North Conway, about a half hour drive south from the AT, has a good EMS if you need to get new equipment.
Hi Neighbor!! Anyone wanna do some hikin'?

Peaks
08-05-2006, 19:27
North Conway, about a half hour drive south from the AT, has a good EMS if you need to get new equipment.
Hi Neighbor!! Anyone wanna do some hikin'?

Not only that, but almost across the street is IME (International Mountain Equipment) run by Rick Wilcox of Everest fame.

And, before you get there in Intervale there is Ragged Mountain Sports, another outfitter.

Oh yes, let's not forget the LL Bean outlet down the street in North Conway.

Footslogger
08-05-2006, 20:10
[quote=Peaks]
And, before you get there in Intervale there is Ragged Mountain Sports, another outfitter.

===================================

Ragged Mtn Sports makes a lot of their own gear/clothing. Stopped through on my thru in 2003 and got a great pair of rain mitts (kinda like the old, now defunct OR ones).

'Slogger

Mr. Clean
08-08-2006, 06:03
Hmmm. I'll have to check out Ragged Mtn Sports next time I'm there.