PDA

View Full Version : Bringing the Girlfriend

goatmilk
08-04-2006, 12:07
Hello WhiteBlazers. I'm currently SoBoing and stopped in Gorham, NH to pick up the girlfriend and bring her back to the Whites for a 4-5 day hike. She doesn't have hiking legs so I was figuring 5-7 miles / day. Any suggestions on the most scenic and amazing part of the Whites that I could take a shuttle to get to from Gorham.

Does anyone know the number of the shuttle service in Gorham?

Thanks for your help.

Peace, Goatmilk.

Footslogger
08-04-2006, 12:12
Wow ...tough one. So many great sections/views. But I think if it was me I'd come out of North Woodstock there by the Interstate and hike up toward Franconia Ridge.

'Slogger

NICKTHEGREEK
08-04-2006, 12:30
Hello WhiteBlazers. I'm currently SoBoing and stopped in Gorham, NH to pick up the girlfriend and bring her back to the Whites for a 4-5 day hike. She doesn't have hiking legs so I was figuring 5-7 miles / day. Any suggestions on the most scenic and amazing part of the Whites that I could take a shuttle to get to from Gorham.

Does anyone know the number of the shuttle service in Gorham?

Thanks for your help.

Peace, Goatmilk.
:D Well it depends on the individual to some extent, but most develop a decent stubble in 4-5 days. Only in rare instances will a true case of Wookie- like hiking legs develop in less than a month. Milegage and scenery have little to do with hair growth, and I don't have a clue what a bus ride does.

Jack Tarlin
08-04-2006, 12:36
GoatMilk---

It's an easy hitch from Gorham to Pinkham Notch; there's all sorts of great hiking both North and South of there. Or Footslogger's suggestion of Franconia Ridge is also good.

If you go to the ATC's website (www.appalachiantrail.org) go to the "Plan a Hike" section, then go to "Getting to the Trail".

You'll find a very extensive state-by state list of shuttlers, many of whom operate near Gorham.

Mouse
08-04-2006, 12:37
:D Well it depends on the individual to some extent, but most develop a decent stubble in 4-5 days. Only in rare instances will a true case of Wookie- like hiking legs develop in less than a month. Milegage and scenery have little to do with hair growth, and I don't have a clue what a bus ride does.

That goes along with my experience. I found the primary variable seemed to be days without shaving rather than milage. However I did not try any busses, so can't say whether that might have some unexplanable effect.
:rolleyes:

Footslogger
08-04-2006, 12:45
You'll find a very extensive state-by state list of shuttlers, many of whom operate near Gorham.

======================================

If you decide on the Pinkham Notch approach and you stay at Hikers Paraside in Gorham the owners will shuttle you to Pinkham in the morning. Was just there in early July and they were provided that service to hikers while we were there.

'Slogger

Mouse
08-04-2006, 13:21
Kidding aside, I'd avoid Mount Garfield, Mount Madison and the Wildcat Cliffs just north of Pinkham Notch. The first two are very labor intensive and I found the cliffs downright scary. The good news is there is a cablecar that bypasses Wildcat Cliffs.

Peaks
08-04-2006, 17:13
Two suggestions:

First, the AMC runs a shuttle around the White Mountains. So, check the schedule and make a reservation.

Second, for a nice multi-day hiking that is not too strenous, why not consider hiking hut to hut, unless money is an issue.

If you want to backpack with her, then consider some hikes off the AT in the White Mountains. Maybe do a multi day loop in the Pemi.

goatmilk
08-05-2006, 09:26
Thanks for all the great replies. Sounds like Franconia Ridge and Pinkham Notch are top picks. Got the shuttle contact info from the ATC website. Thanks for the link.

peace, goatmilk :)

FLHiker
08-05-2006, 09:48
That goes along with my experience. I found the primary variable seemed to be days without shaving rather than milage. However I did not try any busses, so can't say whether that might have some unexplanable effect.
:rolleyes:

I'd carry either the new Gillette Ultra-light fusion, - or some 151. Two different approaches to this problem.

weary
08-05-2006, 09:54
The suggestion about a hut to hut hike is an excellent one, if finances allow. Also the AMC shuttle that goes from trail head to trail head is an excellent service.

Is it on ATC's list? ATC tends to list private shuttles, i.e. names of people you can call to take you where you want to go. AMC just runs a loop from trail head to trail head, picking up hikers, dropping off hikers -- or did in past years. I haven't checked lately.

Weary

goatmilk
08-05-2006, 20:17
The ATC does list the "AMC hiker shuttle service" on their website.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/{D25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1}/ATshuttleWEB_July%2025_2006.pdf

Peace.

goatmilk
08-05-2006, 20:52
What do you think of taking a shuttle from Gorham to U.S. 302, Crawford Notch and hiking south to N.H. 16 Pinkham Notch. This is 26 miles and we have 5 days to do it in. Plus a few side trails. This will include Mt. Washington. Any suggestions? Thanks.

rickb
08-05-2006, 21:01
When you get to Crawford Notch, I would recommend that you not hike South if you are headed to pinkham notch.;)

goatmilk
08-05-2006, 21:37
thanks. we've looked at the elevation maps and decided to hike from Pinkham to Crawford (Northbound). This way we hit the steep climb on the up.

peace.

Footslogger
08-05-2006, 23:12
thanks. we've looked at the elevation maps and decided to hike from Pinkham to Crawford (Northbound). This way we hit the steep climb on the up.

peace.
=========================

Me thinks you're still going the wrong way ...if I understand the above statement. You can't hike from Pinkham Notch to Crawford Notch in a NORTHBOUND direction. Pinkham is NORTH of Crawford.

'Slogger

goatmilk
08-13-2006, 09:33
thanks. yeah, we just finished our journey and I didn't realize that crawford notch was south of Pinkham notch until the visitor center. It was a great hike over the Presidentials and the AMC were very accomodating. It was a great experience for the both of us. Thanks for the great advice and info.

peace, goatmilk