PDA

View Full Version : When can I start ?

norfamericana
08-04-2006, 16:33
This is my situation. Im a limited experienced backpacker (not the issue). & I am looking to start from Georgia & finish in Pa just over the MD/PA boarder. I need to get to that area because my sister will be graduating from college in the shippensburg/mechanicsburg area on May 12th. I would love to do a thru-hike but I will be hopefully teaching at a camp next summer & then starting grad school in aug. So Pa is the end of the line (for now)

My question is... what is the earliest I should/can start to get to Pa by May 10th-ish. Factoring in that im not a pro (in good shape with some experience) & with the possiblity of zero days, etc etc.

Thanks for everyone's help.

-Dave

Daddy Longlegs
08-04-2006, 18:57
I am not a pro but after looking at a few journals I see that some hikers starting at the begining of March make it there by the end of May. Some of these hikers may take as many as 7 to 10 zero days before reaching MD/PA. Also if you already are in great shape before you hit the trail you may be able to put in some bigger miles earlier on then a lot of other hikers allowing you to shorten the time that most take. Hope this helps.

general
08-04-2006, 22:34
sometime in early jan. you're hiking through the end of winter and early spring. slow go. start early with plenty of winter gear and give yourself some extra time.

Footslogger
08-05-2006, 10:14
For what it's worth ...I left on March 29th and it took me about 45 days to get from Springer to Damascus and another 5 weeks or so to get to the MD/PA border. So ...to be on the safe side if you need to be there by May 10 I would tell you to be hiking by mid February at the latest. Plus, if you run into some bad weather that might not be enough time.

'Slogger

fiddlehead
08-05-2006, 23:45
You can start whenever you like. There are no limits to this game. Not too many rules either. have fun.

The Solemates
08-07-2006, 16:43
We started Feb 1, NOBO from Springer. We were at the PA/MD border April 16th. With a normal March 1st start date like everyone else, you can easily be to the PA/MD border by May 10th.