PDA

View Full Version : Snow

jensine
03-30-2003, 09:15
Not the first time in March that this area received snow. We awoke to about 2+ inches here this a.m. We are now located
at a lower elevation than the campground, near Wallace Gap, so
I imagine they got alittle more. Hate to say it, but in our experience, due to the last two weeks of warm weather, there will be alot of hikers out there freezing their pitutties off, as they sent their "cold weather"gear home!! I t happens every year!!
Outfitters love it!! Supposed to get pretty cold tonite, low in the 20's. At least it's not the blizzard of "93.

thestin
03-30-2003, 14:53
Lots of snow in the NC and Virginia mountains. A least a half a foot of snow on the Blue Ridge Parkway south of Asheville at an elevation of 5000 feet. Reports of almost a foot of snow in northwest NC, and 6 to 12 inches of snow in the Mt. Rogers area.
Reports of 3 to 6 inches in the Smokies. Jensine is right, this happens almost every year. There was a year where 5 feet of snow fell in May!

Peaks
03-30-2003, 17:14
Some of the very best advise that I heeded was to hang on to your winter gear until after Mt. Rodges (and Memorial Day).

Looks like the recent snow storm proved this point once again.

Hikerhead
03-30-2003, 17:26
There's 6 to 8 inches of snow from Scorched Earth Gap to Daleville, Va.

athiker29
03-30-2003, 19:34
hello im just getting back from some trail maintenance for path .there were at least 5'of snow at chestnutridge shelter.wind was blowing like a mad man fog well at least we got some work done

MedicineMan
03-31-2003, 23:45
8 inches in my yard-4000feet up-close to Hughes Gap (just before the climb to Roan Mtn) but expecting almost 60 degrees tomorow and close to 70 the next day! so it wont last too long

Jumpstart
04-01-2003, 08:42
We just heard from a friend who is out doing his first thru-hike, and they are at Mountain Moma's; he said 18 (18!?!) inches of snow over the past two days. Can't decide if he's for real or trying to impress us :D

MedicineMan
04-01-2003, 22:06
He's for real,,,,,I said 8 inches at my house-wrong, when I actually got out the yardstick it was 11.5" and that is close to Hughes Gap

steve hiker
04-01-2003, 22:28
I love snow. Oh well, I'll get my chance. Not this year, but I'll be there in the snow before too long.

MedicineMan
04-01-2003, 22:30
My last 5 section hikes were in the snow and ice, last week from Unicoi to Dicks it was 72 degrees-didnt know how to hike on dry ground! Who knows what next week will bring from Deep to Wallace-dont matter much, just excited to go again.

Hikerhead
04-01-2003, 22:40
I thought it would be cool to be out there on sat, 60 degrees and I hear it going to snow that night. I packed up and set up camp around 9 pm about a mile south of Scorched Earth Gap. Woke up in my hammock around 6 am with a strang feeling like a 50lb wet blanket was on top of me. When I looked out I couldn't believe it snowed. I last remembered it thundering before falling asleep. I had 8 miles to get to daleville and no food, still snowing hard so I was packed up and hiking at 6:45. That was a hard hike out of there. Every pine tree except for the bigger ones were laying down across the trail. I had to beat on them with the poles for the snow to drop and then they would stand up. I must have beat on a million trees. It took me 8 hrs to do the 8 miles. I don't know how Bono and Rocket and those other early starters made it. My hats off to them.