PDA

View Full Version : Hammocking in a thunderstorm

Caranthir
08-05-2006, 06:11
Hey everyone...this is my first post, so be gentle...

I've been thinking about getting a hammock, but one problem keeps bugging me...

If you hang your hammock during a thunderstorm, aren't you hanging it between two potential lightning rods?

I mean, that could make for a really rude wake up call.

Just an observation...Thanx

Deerleg
08-05-2006, 07:08
I don't think the risk is any grater than using a tarp or a tent in the same area. If I was worried about thunderstorms I would consider my location, more than if I was on the ground or in a hammock. In a valley or as far off a ridge as practical certainly would be better than the higher surrounding ground. Welcome to WB.

neo
08-05-2006, 08:55
i love hammock hanging in a thunder storm.hammock hanging on a high ridge
with only a few trees in the area may be a greater risk during thunder storm:cool: neo

peter_pan
08-05-2006, 09:46
Home ownership is the same the world over....it all comes down to Location, Location, Location.....on the ground or in the air, don't throw down next to a potential lightening attractor...

I do agree w/ Neo that the views and sounds of a storm from the comfort of a hammock with vision lines under the tarp are soooooo cool....just pick a reasonable site first.

Pan

Just Jeff
08-05-2006, 10:02
There are several threads about that here and at the Yahoo hammockcamping group. Basically it comes down to what's above - no more or less dangerous than tenting or tarping, but much more comfortable.

Caranthir
08-05-2006, 17:11
Thanx for the help fellas...you've given me some good things to chew on.

Ridge
08-05-2006, 17:28
I know this is posted elsewhere here at WB, but just in case you didn't read it. http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=weather&id=4305009

Nightwalker
08-06-2006, 09:23
There are several threads about that here and at the Yahoo hammockcamping group. Basically it comes down to what's above - no more or less dangerous than tenting or tarping, but much more comfortable.
thanks for the pointer to hammockcamping. :)

Doctari
08-06-2006, 19:19
I have been told by my wife that I have hammocked during many thuderstorms, I only remember one, and that because I had an issue with water comming down my ridge line & soaking me. See, I always fall into a deep deep sleep during a T-storm, and it's worse in a hammock. :rolleyes:
During the "wetting" I didn't wake up untill I was totally soaked & laying in a small puddle. I suppose I could have been struck hanging there, but don't feel my chances were any better or worse, than if I had been sleeping on the ground or even hiking along.

I think my water issue is fixed, so if I get struck by lightining, I won't know it cause I'll die in my sleep :eek: (LOL) I do suspect that my hike may be ruined, what with me being dead & all that implies! :p

Doctari.

Spock
08-07-2006, 13:14
Let's see. I'm off the ground; air is an insulator. I'm suspended on insulating polypro straps with drip lines attached and kept dry by the tarp. I'm off the ridge top and hanging between a pair of the shorter Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z-Z- smoke drifts quietly through the stunned forest.

I figure a hammock beats a tent with aluminum or graphite poles - all locational issues being equal. One thing to consider is that lightning charges travel through the ground. Ranchers can tell how far by the distribution of dead cows around the tree or windmill that gets hit. I would rather be off the ground, thank you.

Waterbuffalo
08-14-2006, 16:09
I was thinking the same thing the other day maybe this should be on mythbusters?

Time To Fly 97
08-14-2006, 16:58
The rain tarp on my HH is staked to the ground. The hammock itself attaches to trees obviously that if hit by lightening would fry the hammock.

Is there such a thing as insulated stakes or rope that would add protection in a lightening storm? I guess camping in the first row of trees on the overlook is not a best practice?

Any serious ideas?

Happy hiking!

TTF

Just Jeff
08-14-2006, 17:18
Serious idea - lightning explodes trees so you'll be hurting whether the current goes through your or not. IMO, insulated ropes won't make any difference.

Use the same precautions you'd use for tenting and you'll be fine.

Spock
08-14-2006, 20:02
All joking aside, camping has its dangers. As Jeff says, trees explode. They also fall on campers and drop big limbs for long distances. Camper butter. Lightning is only one of the dangers. Be aware of them all and take reasonable precautions. For lightning, location is everything. Set up in the shortest trees and away from the tallest ones. Stay low.

I have no solid information on how all this adds up, but all the materials of the hammock are insulators. If you have drop lines on your hamock lines or cover them with the snake skins, they will stay dry and will not conduct electricity. Lightning charges also travel through the ground and these account for more deaths of animals and human beans than most people realise. Remember that one rule for lightning safety is to crouch on an insulated pad. That is so the current will not pass from one part of your body to another as it moves through the ground. In other words, lying on the ground is like lying on an electric cable. Being suspended off the ground should be the safest location.

T-BACK
08-14-2006, 20:34
[quote=Spock]Let's see. I'm off the ground; air is an insulator.

Almost anything will conduct if the voltage is high enough. Even air is not a very good insulator when it comes to lightning (air can conduct electricity about 1 ft away from its source for every 100,000 volts approx.) Use common sense when choosing a campsite, don't assume that you're any safer hanging than on the ground and chances are that you will be fine.

Brian
T-BACK

hammock engineer
08-14-2006, 20:42
[quote=Spock]Let's see. I'm off the ground; air is an insulator.

Almost anything will conduct if the voltage is high enough. Even air is not a very good insulator when it comes to lightning (air can conduct electricity about 1 ft away from its source for every 100,000 volts approx.) Use common sense when choosing a campsite, don't assume that you're any safer hanging than on the ground and chances are that you will be fine.

Brian
T-BACK

I think that distance is much greater. The high tension power lines will arch somewhere on the distance of 12 feet.

Like everyone else said, it is all about the location.

Heater
08-14-2006, 20:46
[quote=T-BACK]

I think that distance is much greater. The high tension power lines will arch somewhere on the distance of 12 feet.

Like everyone else said, it is all about the location.

On a dry day?

hammock engineer
08-14-2006, 20:53
I am not sure of wet versus dry. Being a geeky engineer I watched a show on linemen working on high power lines. They said that it was basically instant death if you where touching anything connected to the ground and got any closer that 11'4" or 14ish'. Can't remember off hand which one it is.

I do not think it is unrealistic to have lightning arc 15-20 feet. Although it is very high voltage, but not as high current.

Ridge
08-15-2006, 00:21
This is about as good as it gets to help prevent or lessen a lightning strike.

http://visitors.bestofhealth.com/newsletter/Previous/May02/storms.html

hogn8r
08-15-2006, 00:45
I would think that instead of trying to succesfully insulate ourselves from a strike that we should try to redirect it instead. There is a device called a Faraday Cage (Michael Faraday?), it is made of metal and whatever is in it when struck by lightning is safe due to the cages ability to succesfully take the voltage to ground. Path of least resistance and all that...

Maybe I can build a Mylar tarp and use it to charge my Ipod battery during a thunderstorm! :eek: Or just string a wire from the trees and ground 'em, then hang your socks from it, you could have an instant sock dryer (vaporizer?). :D

But seriuosly, with what we carry we are not equiped to insulate ourselves from a strike, no matter what shelter we use. So just be smart in the location.

Read here to see why the tallest trees aren't necessarily the best lightning rods.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/lightning3.htm

Time To Fly 97
08-15-2006, 10:25
Maybe I can build a Mylar tarp and use it to charge my Ipod battery during a thunderstorm! :eek: Or just string a wire from the trees and ground 'em, then hang your socks from it, you could have an instant sock dryer (vaporizer?). :D

THIS is Ben Franklin reincarnated! :welcome

Happy hiking!

TTF

frequency
08-15-2006, 12:50
my recollection from AFUN, BE&E, AVI-1 training at NAS-MFS is that current takes the path of least resistance. Allow me to postulate, that you in a hammock with no other connections to ground would offer more resistance than one of the trees supporting your hammock (the one struck by lightening) with a direct connection to ground. so if you attach both hammock lines to the same tree i think your odds of being struck by lightening while in a hammock are dramatically increased - but keep in mind - if the current can go straight to ground - why go through a resistor (you)?

Heater
08-15-2006, 13:31
my recollection from AFUN, BE&E, AVI-1 training at NAS-MFS is that current takes the path of least resistance. Allow me to postulate, that you in a hammock with no other connections to ground would offer more resistance than one of the trees supporting your hammock (the one struck by lightening) with a direct connection to ground. so if you attach both hammock lines to the same tree i think your odds of being struck by lightening while in a hammock are dramatically increased - but keep in mind - if the current can go straight to ground - why go through a resistor (you)?

I don't know about that. My brothers tree got struck and the lightning jumped ten feet and blew some siding off his house! That doesn't mean it happens all the time but my idea is that sometimes there is just too much current and it branches out.

I had my tree struck, again, about ten feet from my house with only some damage to the tree. Of course the tree fell ON my house but no real damage there because my house was built in the 50's when they built them right! :D

Just Jeff
08-15-2006, 13:36
Here's a quick joke:

A mathematician and an engineer were sitting in a bar one night. The mathematician says, "Would you rather get a thousand dollars, or sit in front of a naked supermodel, and every minute you can move half the distance between you and her?"

"Supermodel," says the engineer.

The mathematician cackled with glee..."Don't you realize you'll NEVER reach her! You'll ALWAYS be only halfway there!"

"But I'll be close enough for all practical purposes..."

I think your theory is correct.

But in practice I don't think it would matter. Have you ever had your hair stand on end from being close to static? Not close enough to get a shock even...just close enough to feel the effects. Now multiply that by a bazillion. I don't care if the current is going through me or not - I don't want to be that close to it. Ever.

Not to mention exploding trees, or the tree falling on me, or catching my stuff on fire, or dropping a limb on me. But I doubt it'll ever be an issue if I stay off the ridgeline and away from water during thunderstorms.

frequency
08-15-2006, 16:55
agreed - best not to test these theories...lightening is of such incredible electrical magniture, it would likely not view a human in a hammock as material resistance ...

A better question - if it is raining cats and dogs out and you stroll into camp - can anyone tell me the best way to setup my hammock without getting it all wet inside?

peanuts
08-15-2006, 17:02
Frequency, if that was a true question: "how to set up a hammock while its raining cata and dogs" thats easy, set up tarp first!!!!
If it was not a serious ?, then diregard reply......

frequency
08-15-2006, 17:05
uh...my tarp is my poncho is my rainfly...
but you verified my thinking...thanks

Just Jeff
08-15-2006, 19:38
Well then, I guess you'll get wet. At least you can keep your gear dry, though. So keep a towel to dry off with after you've set everything up.

Or spend the extra 6 oz on a DropStoppers jacket.