PDA

View Full Version : Best option for late start?

honu
08-05-2006, 23:54
I had planned to thru-hike this year but it's been one delay after another. Will finally be able to get away the week of August 20. I know that's late, but I figure I'll start with NH and ME then hike south until it gets too cold to continue. If necessary, I'll finish up the southern portion next spring.

Taking my time and enjoying the trail is more important to me than accomplishing a continuous thru-hike. I'm experienced and in decent shape. I managed to get in a short hike north from Duncannon this past spring and averaged over 15 miles a day. But I don't tolerate cold weather well. I don't mind if it dips below freezing at night but prefer if it's above freezing a good part of the day.

Given the late start date, is it better to (1) start at Baxter and just keep going south or (2) start in NH, hike north, then flip back to where I started and go south from there. My main concern is getting through the Whites while the weather is still tolerable. If I start in NH, what are my options for getting back to my starting point from Baxter?

Waiting and doing a thru next year is not an option. My window of opportunity is between now and next May. Just trying to figure out the best way to do the whole trail within that time frame.

Any suggestions or other options are appreciated.

hikerjohnd
08-05-2006, 23:58
Go to K and hike south - no flipping and you'll finish before Christmas if you keep at it. It won't be too cold in the south then - you may see some snow but nothing you can not handle.

The Solemates
08-07-2006, 16:41
I agree. Start at Katahdin and go south. As long as you are out of the Whites by late September to mid October, you should be fine.

general
08-07-2006, 17:59
winter hiking is the way to go, but you may want to plan for some time off to wait for weather to improve (like large quanities of snow or ice) winter scenery is beautiful, you'll run into fewer folks, and it adds a degree of difficulty that others don't experience.

SGT Rock
08-07-2006, 18:03
You can finish by the end of January if you go SOBO. You will probably hit some snow in the south, but probably not too much.

map man
08-07-2006, 23:21
honu, I've read your trail journals for both the short Pennsylvania section and for your hike on Isle Royale (got a big kick out of some of your pre-hike journal entries this year), and it sure seems to me that you won't have any problem getting through the Whites within a month or so (30 to 40 days) of leaving Katahdin if you leave Aug. 20 -- and I don't feel you'll have to keep up a "rushed" pace to do it. Then once you are through the Whites you can keep hiking south until you decide the hiking is too cold for your comfort. It seems like this would involve less hassle than hiking from Glencliff north to Katahdin and then finding a way back to Glencliff.

Johnny Swank
08-07-2006, 23:28
I agree with going SOBO from the big K. Jumping around is a pain in the neck and wrecks the continutity. You could start on August 20 and be done sometime in January without killing yourself.

The only tricky part is having less daylight to work with. I was a SOBO, and would have loved to have the opportunity to hike (in the daylight) till 8-9 pm in November and December. I had section hiked GA-WV before so it wasn't that big of a deal to see the trail 15' at a time by headlamp!

honu
08-08-2006, 10:05
Thanks everyone. I'm taking your advice. I called Baxter State Park and it was recommended I come mid-week. Even then, I was told to be at the gate at 5:00 a.m. to get a spot in the parking lot at the Hunt Trail trailhead. The lot has been filling up before 6:00 a.m. and, while there are no guarantees, a 5:00 a.m. arrival would probably be early enough. So, weather permitting, I'll climb Katahdin August 24 and start walking south the next day.

hikerjohnd
08-08-2006, 10:13
Thanks everyone. I'm taking your advice. I called Baxter State Park and it was recommended I come mid-week. Even then, I was told to be at the gate at 5:00 a.m. to get a spot in the parking lot at the Hunt Trail trailhead. The lot has been filling up before 6:00 a.m. and, while there are no guarantees, a 5:00 a.m. arrival would probably be early enough. So, weather permitting, I'll climb Katahdin August 24 and start walking south the next day.

Good luck and happy hiking!

mrc237
08-08-2006, 10:19
Good Luck and happy trails